Studio Tour Returning?

ShadowXL

Anyways back on topic. The temp studio tour showcasing all the stuff from Narnia begins of today. A shuttle bus will pick you up at the studio entrance by superman escape/lethal weapon show building. The tour will be only operational for a short time and this will be a short term trial to see how popular it actually is as to wether a permanent studio tour will arrive as of late next year. Those who really want a new permanent studio tour try this one out and send all your feedback through to guest services via email. All feedback will be much appreciated.

Wow, What a waste of time and energy. Who would want to see the sets of some shitty disney film?
I went all the way to Universal Studios to see the Pirates of the Caribbean sets. I would love to see the sets of a Disney film again, or any other company's film sets for that matter. Edited by xelanosat

i would love to see the narnia sets, i already checked out the narnia set that was built at southport and also the triangle set built just opposite the southport seaway jetty. Crappy movies or not, i like going to movie world as i love movies. I love knowing the who, what, where, when and how of movies are made, especially local productions. That is one of the main concepts to movie related parks, which unfortunately movie world is lacking.

I pretty much drove through the Narnia sets every other day it was being filmed in the studios, they took up the entire studios complex. The sets for this film were nothing short of impressive and certainly don't constitute 'some shitty set from a crappy movie.' I think it's a great addition.

Visited MW this morning to check out the Narnia Tour = attached some pictures from the attraction. Overview - Little tent just past Superman escape and near Lethal holds the queue. We were on the first group to leave right on 10. They tell you not to take any pictures while traveling to and from the Narnia studio as other movies are currently being filmed on site. One woman was filming and the shuttle was stopped midway to the studio. There is no voiceover or announcer on the trip to the studio. Arrived at studio 5, and it is holding the ship which was being used on the coast. Also holds some props, costuming and another set. The tour guide person gave a little bit of background about the set and the props, and then we were allowed to climb up some scaffolding and onto the main deck of the ship. Warned not to touch anything, but photos were allowed. Left the ship, got in the shuttle and returned to the queue. As a temp attraction this is just ok. It is incredible to see a set of this scale, however, the set by itself, and the thrown together feel of the entire attraction is off-putting. The studios are a mess. And i understand mw dosn't have the right to move in and clean up, but some of it looks like a dump. I had little to no interest in the Narnia movie before seeing the set, but will check out the movie now, just to see the set in action. Overall - If your into seeing hollywood sets - 5/5 stars - it probably dosn't get much spectacular than this. If your looking for an immersive experience like the long gone sfx show - don't bother. Also spoke to someone high up in management this morning (i was a previous employee at mw) and I asked them about the possibility of a return to full time studio tours etc. and they said while the park would love to do it, after the closure of this temp attraction there are no plans to start or create a new studio tour. nate couple more pics

post-1981-1261971381_thumb.jpg

post-1981-1261971402_thumb.jpg

post-1981-1261971415_thumb.jpg

post-1981-1261971428_thumb.jpg

post-1981-1261971441_thumb.jpg

post-1981-1261971453_thumb.jpg

post-1981-1261971465_thumb.jpg

post-1981-1261972030_thumb.jpg

post-1981-1261972051_thumb.jpg

Edited by nathanpamenter

Visited MW this morning to check out the Narnia Tour = attached some pictures from the attraction. Overview - Little tent just past Superman escape and near Lethal holds the queue. We were on the first group to leave right on 10. They tell you not to take any pictures while traveling to and from the Narnia studio as other movies are currently being filmed on site. One woman was filming and the shuttle was stopped midway to the studio. There is no voiceover or announcer on the trip to the studio. Arrived at studio 5, and it is holding the ship which was being used on the coast. Also holds some props, costuming and another set. The tour guide person gave a little bit of background about the set and the props, and then we were allowed to climb up some scaffolding and onto the main deck of the ship. Warned not to touch anything, but photos were allowed. Left the ship, got in the shuttle and returned to the queue. As a temp attraction this is just ok. It is incredible to see a set of this scale, however, the set by itself, and the thrown together feel of the entire attraction is off-putting. The studios are a mess. And i understand mw dosn't have the right to move in and clean up, but some of it looks like a dump. I had little to no interest in the Narnia movie before seeing the set, but will check out the movie now, just to see the set in action. Overall - If your into seeing hollywood sets - 5/5 stars - it probably dosn't get much spectacular than this. If your looking for an immersive experience like the long gone sfx show - don't bother. Also spoke to someone high up in management this morning (i was a previous employee at mw) and I asked them about the possibility of a return to full time studio tours etc. and they said while the park would love to do it, after the closure of this temp attraction there are no plans to start or create a new studio tour. nate couple more pics
I also went this morning, first group at 10.00 am. Small world huh. Check out my photos here. I thought the set was amazing and loved the atmosphere surrounding the backlot. I emailed the park with my feedback, i would love something permanent.

Conversation of the tours returning permanently aside, I think the fact that they've brought this tour in even temporarily is a good sign - it shows that they do actually look to run these tours and they certainly wouldn't have gone to the trouble of setting it up as an attraction if they weren't interested in doing so. To pick up one what some other people have - it's often just impossible to 'delay the bump out' of a set for any period of time. In every film, regardless of how much is custom built for the set, there are expensive rigging components, valuable real estate and often people required on site on a daily basis to make sure the set is operable and safe. Add to this the fact that most sets in theatre, movies, etc are simply built to last for a certain amount of time and all of a sudden you're up for a huge sum of money to make adjustments to keep the thing in place. Finally, there are differences in building restrictions and codes for structures that are classed as temporary, and those that are permanently installed. For example; an enclosed set on a stage is not usually required to have emergency sprinklers, fire detectors etc, installed as fire marshals are always present on film sets during any activity. If such a set was then opened to the public, the set would need to be extensively modified to accommodate permanent fire codes - this is just one example. There are also very serious implications regarding smoke and haze on sound stages - and I mean real sound stages, not tin sheds that have roller coasters in them. The soundproofing used on both the Movie World stages and the Fox Studios stages in Sydney is highly flammable, so any time smoke generating gear (from fog machines through to angle grinders, etc) the entire studio has to be isolated and fire marshals have to be present. I'm not trying to harp on about fire laws over anything else but this is just one area I've had to deal with recently particular when we've been working in Fox in Sydney. However, if anything, QLD fire laws are infinitely tighter than NSW for a number of reasons that I won't go into in this post. Of course one way to get around the restrictions would just be to fit the Scooby red LED eyes to all the sets, that'd fix it right up :P Only joking, so don't get fire up :P rich

• 1 month later...

I went on this tour a few weeks ago, it was very quick and they did not give you a great deal of time with the sets and props, but plenty without it getting boring. But, saying that. It was DEFINETLY a must do. The sets were incredible and the Tram Tour was much fun. I have some photo's and video of it that I will upload in the near future onto my Youtube account. -Spencer