WnW 2010: Aqua Loop, Flowrider, Zipline, Skycoaster

Intamin

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't imagine 4 of these looping slides taking up prime position at the front of the park. Particularly the fact that they may remove signature attractions to do it. It seems to me like WnW is getting more and more random with their additions as we saw with the Surf Rider roller coaster. I guess you could say it certainly is becoming more of a thrill park and aiming for that teen market. I don't think that's a great move. I much prefer Village Roadshow's Phoenix Wet n Wild which in my opinion was very well designed with all of those classic waterpark elements but also with a number of well integrated cutting edge slides. I also happen to think that those looping slides are ugly (especially all of the stairs and support structures needed for them) but then again most of WnW's additions now are ugly. It would also seem strange not to place these new slides in the H20 Zone precinct as this has now become the designated 'thrill' zone. The front of the park has always been for more family style attractions

I think the visual impact of the loops is the reason they decided to put them up the front, no other explanation for the expense of removing existing attractions. Obviously it would have been a breeze to just plop them down further out the back, but I think it will do great things for the park to have some iconic 'woahh, look at that!" type things people can spot on the way past. Agreed that the looping slides can look a bit fugly (Though I'd say it has more to do with that pooey yellow colour on the ones we have seen to date har har) Hopefully they'll paint the supports rather than leaving them as galvanised steel.

The front of the park has always been for more family style attractions
Though twister and speed-coaster would be 'thrill attractions' (And certainly the old speedslide too). If they were building this in Buccaneer Bay then I'd see your point. While I'm here, if anybody wants to see how fast you will go on this thing, check out this vid taken with the escape hatch open: Edited by Gazza

It's sad to see the Twister go although I won't miss the Speed-coaster as much. It's a real shame about the Terror Canyons and I don't know anyone that said they preferred Black Hole over it. (Apart from possibly the shorter line) Fingers crossed they fill the space with more modern enclosed slides and get the vegetation back to its old standard.

Edited by Dylaan

It's sad to see the Twister go although I won't miss the Speed-coaster as much. It's a real shame about the Terror Canyons and I don't know anyone that said they preferred Black Hole over it. (Apart from possibly the shorter line)
Definitely sad to see Twister go, I just wish that they could move them to another area of the park. Maybe over near Mammoth Falls. That said, I am really excited to see these 4 new additions come to Wet'n'Wild. I hope they do something really spectacular with them, something that makes everyone who sees them think, WOW!
Fingers crossed they fill the space with more modern enclosed slides and get the vegetation back to its old standard.
I also would like Terror Canyons space filled with something new, preferably enclosed slides just like the Terror Canyons with multiple, unexpected drops and turns. Oh and does anyone else think that Tornado is in major need of a new paint job? Edited by cadboy

• 3 weeks later...
If they don't hype the crap out of this, and by that I mean going to the extent of Superman Escape and having a dedicated website, tagline ("Can you do the loop?") etc then it is a lost opportunity IMO.
WNW have started advertising on their website but its not quite like what you had hoped for Gazza. They still don't mention an opening date or location.
WET'N'WILD HOTS UP IN 2010! Aqua-Loop200x200.jpg This year Wet'n'Wild will introduce a new ride to the water park. The first of its kind in Australia, the ride begins when the rider plummets through a trap door at their feet, accelerating into a massive vertical free fall drop and then up into a looping slide! The Aqua Loop is a gut wrenching, heart-pounding and gravity-defying ride which takes riders to speeds of up to 60 kilometres per hour! Watch this space for opening dates.
http://wetnwild.myfun.com.au/Park-Info/New...-UP-IN-2010.htm

^Well, to be honest its a good start. The fact they have actually come out and said exactly what it does and what its called before the first sod has even been turned is something they have never done before. I'm sure in the meantime they should be able to get some stock footage from the manufacturer and a few more images to put on that page. This thing should be very marketable because of two factors. -It just sounds plain cool. I'd even go as far to say that its something that will be become known about across the country (Not just local news/sunrise) because of how interesting/impossible sounding it is. -It is easy for people to understand....Who here has tried explaining to someone else what happens on say Tornado or Surfrider; Hard to do without using a few sentences and a lot of hand gestures. Here, it's simple, and that brings it back to the first point I made. Also, in terms of opening dates I'm gonna be a prick and say they should open it after all the VIP passes are due to expire so they can maximise the returns from all the people hooked on the place and wanting to ride this crazy looking thing. PS, this can be the running topic, so I've changed the title accordingly.

Edited by Gazza

I like that instead of doing the normal thing of pretending nothing is going on Wizard of Oz style (

), they've come out early and said what it is. With any luck we can see some destruction/construction updates and the like, since this is such a good addition for WnW and I think it would be a shame if it were under advertised. I've said in the past that WnW should look more at adding wet rides (Splash Battle, Wet Topspin, Shoot the Chutes) to drive attendance since they won't see any sort of attendance boost from another water slide. Having said that, I reckon these have the potential to give WnW a big attendance boost for the year if it's marketed well. So far they've announced that they are building them, so that puts them miles ahead of where they normally are. Keep it up! Edited by joz

^Well, to be honest its a good start. The fact they have actually come out and said exactly what it does and what its called before the first sod has even been turned is something they have never done before.
Well, let's bear in mind that unlike most other attractions where they have needed to keep it secret to prevent copycat construction, WhitewaterWest have signed exclusivity, so there is no risk that someone else will beat them to it.

I've said in the past that WnW should look more at adding wet rides (Splash Battle, Wet Topspin, Shoot the Chutes) to drive attendance since they won't see any sort of attendance boost from another water slide.
I don't think that's correct at all. Waterparks across the world drive their attendance growth through new waterslide attractions. If anything I think WnW should steer away from trying to become any weird type of theme park/water park hybrid

I think the one thing to bear in mind is that Wet 'n' Wild is sort of a special case. It is a large, highly attended park with a competitor just down the road, and It's getting to a stage now where there are few new water slide types for them to choose from (And it appears to be fierce competition to snap up the newest technologies, with this supposed exclusivity deal), and even some of the 'new' stuff is not too different (Can someone please tell me a meaningful difference between a Proslide Tantrum, and a Proslide Tops yturvy?) I think a lot of the Worldwide water parks are a different matter entirley, most aren't actually as big as WnW, nor do most have a competitor a short distance away building the same things, so its easy for them to always find something new. But perhaps the main point is whether the GP would warm to a lot of the new stuff they could potentially build, I mean its clear the Aqualoop is something that could do this, but I think some of these other attractions probably wouldn't get the same returns as entirely different 'wet' attraction.

Can someone please tell me a meaningful difference between a Proslide Tantrum, and a Proslide Tops yturvy?
There appears to be no difference design wise just the tubing that each utilise. The Tantrum features 2 or 4 person cloverleaf tubes while the Topsy Turvy features the more traditional inline style of tubing (Temple of Huey). Other than that nothing seems to be different. I remember a couple of years ago Gazza uploaded a concept of an 'Insane H2O Zone' (a Giant Rainfortress with a couple of other rides intertwining) - unfortunately I can't find it in the forums. ProSlide appears to be offering something similar called a Ridehouse. post-2117-1264887160_thumb.png I would love to see Gazza's concept or a Ridehouse added to the park some stage in the not too distant future as both would have a very high capacity. Edited by themeparkgc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

^ I have seen some comments from people saying that this isn't a vertical loop. The actual structure may not be a vertical loop but with the correct launch, speed and weight you will rush around the outside of the tube vertically remaining upside down. The reason for the tilt i beleive is to keep the ride safe. If the loop was in fact vertical and you lost speed right on the top of the slide you could fall downwards the width of the slide, which could cause injury or get you stuck then you would dangerously fall back down the other side. If you loose speed drastically on the Aqualoop that is positioned at an angle you will just slowly slide down the side. I beleive it is this part of the design that has essentially made it possible to safely install these commercially. If you watch the youtube clips you can see the rider through the tube almost remain upside down for the peak of the loop.

• 1 month later...

Website lists them as being "Closed to make way for an exciting new attraction"....Ermm, you've already announced what it is, so no need to be vague. Time will tell as to whether these will pop up elsewhere in the park. I personally don't care whether speedcoaster comes back or not, but i kind of still want them around for capacity reasons.