WnW 2010: Aqua Loop, Flowrider, Zipline, Skycoaster

Intamin

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend going to Wet N Wild. NO CROWDS!!
That's because it's FREEZING! Last week we did exactly what you did, went to WnW for the express purpose of riding Surfrider over and over and over. It was great. Still saw some guests braving the water slides, but the spa's were packed :P As for the Aqualoops, are all 4 going to be the same height, or is one of them a bit smaller? I had a feeling there was like a 'junior' one, or am I imagining things?

I found this smaller image on WNW's website. Unlike the other it has a logo in the corner. AquaLoop_Logo200x200.jpg

THREE new major attractions have been announced this morning for Gold Coast theme parks as the tourism heavyweights up the ante in a bid to attract more tourists to the city. Village Roadshow Theme Parks today unveiled plans for three new attractions for their theme parks Sea World and Wet'n'Wild Water World for 2010. The new attractions will include a major water attraction AquaLoop for Wet'n'Wild featuring four looping slides opening September, a new interactive adventure zone Castaway Bay at Sea World opening September and an animal exhibit Penguin Encounter at Sea World featuring King and Gentoo Penguins, opening for the Christmas holidays. Sea World marine sciences director Trevor Long said the lastmajor attraction to be built at the park was the roller coaster jet rescue ride and the last major animal exhibit was Shark bay. ``I would like to think this will increase our attendance,'' Mr Long said. AquaLoop will be the first ride of its kind in Australia with four full looping slides. AquaLoop The ride begins when the rider plummets through a trap door at their feet, accelerating into a massive vertical free fall drop and then up into a looping slide. The Aqua Loop is a gut wrenching, heart-pounding and gravity-defying ride which takes riders to speeds of up to 60 kilometres per hour! FACTS Ride Height: 17m Speed: Up to 60kph G-Forc: 0 to 2.5Gs in less than 2 seconds

From the video's i've seen of Wedgie, it is, in fact, translucent.

Definition: •Word to describe things that light can pass through but that are not clearly see-through
Unless the entire tube is pitch black (like black hole), then the tubing is, in fact, translucent. Now, a TRANSPARENT slide would be cool, but I don't think Wedgie is, and I seriously doubt Aqua Loop will be either.

You can see a shadow through the wedgie of the riders if that's any consolation. I think we'll have to wait and see if these new slides will be see through enough so guests watching can tell of boardy colours etc. I'm pretty sure it'll also just be shadows. On a side note - Is there definitely going to be a flowrider? Or does anyone know for sure...

The slide is Translucent - not transparent. It's still only a shadow of a person going down a slide. If they were clear plastic tubing then that would be cool - like the ones used at Aquatica in the dolphin slide (not sure what it's called) and the plunge of death at Atlantis on Paradise Island, Bahamas. If it were clear the slider would only see a blur of the surrounding not a clear picture and the watcher would just get wedgies pretty much and a lot of water. For me, the clear plastic panelling should be in the chute before you drop so you get a view over the park and not what's below you - That would be awesome.

So you'll notice that this month the Parkz update only covered Dreamworld and Movieworld. Well that's my fault. After several years of loyal service, my camera finally died while covering Wet 'n' Wild the other day. Never got around to Seaworld, so that will ideally happen in the next couple of weeks. Since I was at Wet 'n' Wild however, I did get a few photos of the Aqualoop construction and Wave pool on my mobile. Not bad, but not really good enough to feature in an article on the main site, so here they are! AQUALOOP post-6-1279539309_thumb.jpg Looking straight down where the slides will run. The towers on either side are the evacuation platforms for the top of the loops. This photo gives a good idea of the slant of the loops. post-6-1279539023_thumb.jpg A slightly different view of the site post-6-1279538933_thumb.jpg The loops will tower over the top of Aqua Racer post-6-1279539387_thumb.jpg The will have great visual impact from the front of the park WAVE POOL REFURB post-6-1279539537_thumb.jpg The wave pool is being drained for upcoming safety upgrades post-6-1279539634_thumb.jpg See the wave pool has been drained post-6-1279539767_thumb.jpg Well, mostly drained post-6-1279539847_thumb.jpg Finally, a shot of the Endless wave construction

Edited by joz

Just a quick question. Does anyone know why they built the aqualoop in the middle of the site. For example they didn't line the tower up with the aqua racers. Will that mean that something in the future may be going behind it, because at the moment it looks like a lot of wasted space. Cheers

I take it you mean it is closer to the front of the existing plot, rather than pushed back as far as they can go leaving the wasted space on the INSIDE of the park boundaries? My opinion - the park is bloody huge as it is, why position it even further back and make even MORE distance to walk to get from one side of the park to the other?

Does anyone know why they built the aqualoop in the middle of the site. For example they didn't line the tower up with the aqua racers. Will that mean that something in the future may be going behind it, because at the moment it looks like a lot of wasted space.
-I thought this would be an obvious one, but notice how the loops on one side will be hanging over Aqua Racer, If Aqualoops tower was pushed back to line up with Aqua Racer, then the loops would 'hit' the first couple of dips on Aqua Racer, since the lanes are higher up at that point. -If the Aqualoops tower was lined up with Aqua Racer, the 'free space' would end up being in front of the Aqualoops (And the space created would probably be of some useless size) So if an attraction were built in this space, you'd have constrained site access, and the new attraction would block the view of the Aqualoops. The way they have done it means the left over space is a good size, that extends right to the parks southern boundary. Edited by Gazza

Does anyone know why they built the aqualoop in the middle of the site. For example they didn't line the tower up with the aqua racers. Will that mean that something in the future may be going behind it, because at the moment it looks like a lot of wasted space.
I was wondering this exact thing myself! I figured it was to give the new slides a better 'show off' position so that it is clearly visible from the highway. But I guess the explanations above make sense. I still think it looks a little odd... but then again Wet n Wild does not seem to care much about layout these days... just look at H20 Zone as an example