WnW 2010: Aqua Loop, Flowrider, Zipline, Skycoaster

Intamin

Hi guys, Just got back from a trip to Queenstown, New Zealand, and I did notice that the cost for a 'zip line' adventure over there was pretty high. A company called 'ZipTrek' offers a thrill experience above the town of Queenstown, which admittedly had you traversing 4 different zip lines over their course down the mountain. The cost is NZ$119, but you are first required to travel up the mountain on the gondola for a cost of NZ$22. With this in mind I'd say $10, or even $15, seems reasonable. Granted the view from above Wet 'n Wild won't quite match the view across to The Remarkables mountain range, but it starts to look like a pretty cheap & reasonable alternative.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first pic was taken from the viewing area. We sat there for about 1/2 an hour watching it all. In the second one, you can see the people lined up on the tower. Bout 1/2 an hour from where they are. Glad WNW will have 4 of these. You can see in the third photo that at the bottom of the runoff there is an E-stop button for the Lifeguard if someone does not make the loop! Not too many promo shots show these slides from this angle as it does not show it off as a 'Vertical Loop', but believe me, it is a trully amazing slide!

post-2961-1281587533_thumb.jpg

post-2961-1281588260_thumb.jpg

post-2961-1281588541_thumb.jpg

post-2961-1281588787_thumb.jpg

Edited by ScottyJ

I think that the heavier you are, the more certain you would be to get around. They did have a set of scales at the top, but I never saw them being used. We think that the guy got stuck as he had a massive set of dreadlocks (down to his bum) and was wearing a t-shirt. He also looked like he was trying to slow himself down with his hands. This all created drag. When we were watching people ride. The smaller / lighter people looked like they might not make it around and people with rash shirts etc also looked like they may not make it. He was the only one that didn't make it round in the time that we were there. But the ride op said it's not unusual for it to happen 'at times' As for the jets. I noticed them on the outside. But honestly, it went too fast to even see what they did on the inside. But when you are standing in the launch chamber, there is a curtain of water being shot down the back of it. There seemed tobe a fair amount of water in this. Enough to get you through the loop. There was also larger jets after the high point of the loop - to propel you through and out I guess.

Climb back up the tube... :P Seriously though, there are escape hatches on the slides. If you look at the latest Parkz update, you can see there is a darker, outset part of the slides at the top. I'd assume the same thing would appear at the lowest point. Would it actually be possible to get stuck at the top of the slide (perfectly balanced). Surely you could give yourself a bit of a push down unlike

). I wouldn't think they'd need the stairs and hatch...?

The guy got stuck at the top of the loop. This is where people slowed the most (a few others we saw only just made it round). As soon as someone stops, they hit the E-stop and this stops all the water, jets etc. As the slide is dry, the guy didnt move at all. He pushed himself down backwards to the bottom hatch. He was closer to the top one, but I guess when your inside you don't really know. Once your stopped, it would be hard to get momentum back (without any water in the tube).

• 2 weeks later...

Minor news... After seemingly finishing 2 of the slides then stopping they've started work on the lower sections of the Red slide. I am guessing Aqua Racer will need to close to complete the loops for the 2 eastern slides as they are so close to the attraction. Interestingly though no closure for AR is listed on the website. The canopy for the top of the slide tower has also been delivered and can be seen behind the tower, it's very colourful. sorry no pictures as I was just driving past.

I would have to say I put this with Bermuda, Scooby and Superman as an attraction addition that allows our parks to be considered world class! Have to give credit where credits due for this choice of addition.
Oh Dreamworld/WhiteWaterWorld you have a lot to live up to! The Village parks just keep slamming them. I gotta say as an Ardent Leisure shareholder I am not happy!!

GoGoBoy, I wouldn't be happy either. Defineatly digging a hole for Ardent parks. BUT from what I see, Dreamworld & Whitewater World are picking up their game. They have had a disadvantage, I believe. They started behind the others after Macquarie, but that's no excuse. I think we will see some new rides with the new '3 year expedenture program'. Drove past the Aqualoops... they do look good, I have to admit! I headed into DW & WWW today, but that's another topic.

• 2 weeks later...