WnW 2010: Aqua Loop, Flowrider, Zipline, Skycoaster

Intamin

Not one. Not two. But three. Wet N Wild is not only getting the four aqualoop slides and the endless wave flowrider, but yet another attraction, a zip line. A 200metre zip line from the top of Terror Canyon to the wave pool. That is HECTIC!! I'm so excited. They are all also opening in September. Unfortunately the flowrider and zip line are upcharge attractions though. Here's the link http://wetnwild.myfun.com.au/Park-Info/New...R-SEPTEMBER.htm

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious as to how they will get the zipline harness thing (;)) back to the top after someone has ridden it. I've ridden a zipline about 100m long and we had to attach a rope to the zipline harness thing to winch it back up to the top. Doing this across the park probably wouldn't be the most practical solution. Trying to avoid all buildings and structures these are a couple of possible locations using the 200m length: post-2117-1279941543_thumb.pngpost-2117-1279941655_thumb.png

Themeparksgc...on the really big ziplines, you just take the running wheels device with you. I remember on a school camp they had a dual giant flying fox, and you'd put on your harness and helmet, and the running wheel device would be in a backpack you'd take up to the top, where it would be clipped onto the cable. When you get to the bottom the whole device is taken off the cable.

Edited by Gazza

Also known as a pulley gazza... ;) On most larger zips - you are correct - detachable pulleys make for a highly increased capacity, as you can launch the next rider as soon as the last rider is off the cable. In Currumbin (which is Adventure Parc - another of which is at mt Tambourine) the Zip lines actually permit up to 2 people at a time, and there is no control by operators (although slightly more safety gear). I would imagine the pulleys would be kept at bottom, and you would pay, and kit-up at the landing zone. It would then be the rider's responsibility to take the equipment to the top of the hill, and since they've paid for it, it would be likely to get used, and therefore returned to the bottom of the hill at the end of the ride. Hiding a simple electro tag in the harness would prevent people from removing this equipment from the park also. I must say, I do like seeing WnW go outside the box on attractions that aren't "waterpark" so to speak. We've had the "wet" now they're bringing in some more "wild".

I reckon they got the idea from Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, as did Sea World.
they didn't get the idea from currumbin sanctuary or sea world. they got it from the movie grown ups. on the movie they go to a water park and ride and fly fox thing into a seperate blocked off wavepool. well at least thats what i think.

As it has been stated, this could have been in the pipelines for quite a while and probably isn't to do with the movie "Grown Up's" A lot of theme parks have these Zip Lines and are becoming more mainstream. They probably got it from the same supplier as the new ropes course at Sea World so it would be done on the cheap.

I must say, I do like seeing WnW go outside the box on attractions that aren't "waterpark" so to speak. We've had the "wet" now they're bringing in some more "wild".
I don't like it at all. I'd much prefer a waterpark stick to true waterpark attractions. WnW is becoming a big mix of random attractions plonked all over the place with no consistency or theme. I much prefer what Village did with their WnW Phoenix park - http://phoenix.mywetnwild.com/Park-Info/Interactive-Map.htm

I totally agree GoGoboy. The attrctions that are being added really seem random and do not really fit into the general theme of a "water park". I do not like this direction at all. I really feel that Seaworlds' upcoming Splash battle would have been a better fit for Wet"n Wild and Surfrider would have been better served going to Seaworld, as was originally planned. This then would at least be a more cohesive direction for both parks to stay true to their original themeing and planning.Still there is hope. I am sure Surfrider would fit perfectly in The Pirate Ships old footprint with ease!! :rolleyes: Cheers Jobe

• 2 weeks later...

Ads - In singapore on sentosa island is a park called MegaZip Adventure park. It is on my to-do list for my trip to singapore at the end of the month. The park charges S$29 (29 Singapore dollars = 23.445698 Australian dollars) for a ride on the megazip. They also have a ropes\climbing course and a parachute free-fall simulator From MegaZip Adventure Park website

Featuring the most extreme zip wires in Asia, an aerial rope course and a free-fall simulator, it's an experience that you'll never forget. Depending on your fitness level, choose to try out the different courses at your own pace. Over 450 metres long and at 72 metres above sea level, the MegaZip flying fox lets you whizz over the jungle canopy and the buzz of Siloso Beach. For a more strenuous adventure, ClimbMax is an aerial obstacle course set amongst the treetops. Prepare to navigate wobbly bridges, balance on swaying tightropes and scramble along cargo nets high in the sky. For a thrilling simulated parachute landing, try ParaJump. Developed in the UK, the Powerfan Descender allows you to step off a platform into thin air and land gently on the ground a full 15 metres below.
From what I understand, the Zip line at WnW would be 200\250 metres, so 10 or so aussie dollars would be quite reasonable. What WnW lacks in length, they make up for in the splashdown, because megazip has a tunnel netting landing zone. As for paying $10 for a "simple thrill" - may i point out to you both the cost of our major parks ($69+) for a simple thrill. We could also look at the Ekka:
Hollywood Horrors - $10 Another new feature is the never-before-seen-in-Australia Hollywood Horrors, which is a maze of rooms that have been themed around popular horror films. XXXL ($10) The XXXL is one of the latest and greatest thrill seeker rides and is sure to get your heart pumping! This one's not for the faint hearted! Extreme Speed ($15 or 2 for $25) One of the most advanced extreme thrill rides to hit Australian shores! This isn't just a ride - it's an ultimate experience and feeling like never before that promises to shock even the most hardened of thrillseekers. Sky Walker ($10 or 2 for $15) Looking for the ultimate thrill? Then look no further! Be spun up to 24 metres high in all directions with your feet hanging in mid air! 4-in-1 Bungee Trampoline ($10) The Bungee-Trampoline allows everyone (from 20 to 90 kg), even those with no experience, to jump up to 10 meters high! So sample a taste of an extreme sport, have fun and get ready to bounce! 1-in-1 Bungy Trampoline x 4 ($10) An exciting entertainment attraction for children and adults alike. Riders are harnessed in tight and launched up to eight metres in the air - with those brave enough able to do front and back flips! Fungee Bungee ($10) This 4 in 1 Euro style bungee lets you get fit while having fun!
Now some of those are arguably hi-tech thrills and could perhaps justify a higher pricetag from running costs, the bungee trampolines are similar in wear and tear etc... I see $10-$15 as quite reasonable for the zip line, with the potential for the price to drop, or for multi-ride packages after the novelty wears off. Edited by AlexB