Good things to say

rappa

If you think about it it actually makes a fair bit of sense... one would assume that it costs a certain amount to test, startup and run the park on any given day, and that this amount doesn't change hugely. If you open the park even 3hrs later than usual, that's almost half your daily income down the drain - lower attendance, lower consumption of food and beverages, fewer other purchases... while the costs to run the park haven't hugely decreased. While I'm not saying that I support it, from a business point of view it seems simple.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you, Dj, however Wonderland did trade on Anzac day, and didn't open until 1pm (with no extended trade into the night either). I'm sure it was costly, but as I recall from my time there, Anzac day was fairly busy, even for the half day. I think the difference though is that the Wildlife park was where the money came from - The busloads of japanese tourists that would arrive every day regardless of what western holiday it was, would make them their money - but you can't advertise "open every day" if you're not.

It all just comes down to dollars. Clearly someone is now looking at the 'is it worth it' angle. They figure if they don't open, most people will come a different day anyway. The parks were actually open for the Anzac Day holiday and we're really busy. I think it's been a long time coming they people are now looking at this factor. You only have to check the Outback Spectacular show schedule to see that there are now some thursdays with no show, but 2 shows on saturdays. I'd much rather see this approach to saving money, than cutting corners within the parks.

While I agree with you dj that it would be better than cutting corners, their heads are still not in the right places. Went to the park today (arriving at 10:55am) with the wife as it is the only day we have off together to see that Lethal Weapon not working, which is fine, down for maintenance and a sign at the front. No problem... Went and saw the 11am showing of HWSD and then walked down to go on Batman Adventure the ride... which was closed between 11:30am and 3pm... Then walked back down main street and past what used to be the Superman and justice league shop to see a dog tag machine... Continued past the hot dog stand where they are now charging $7 for what is smaller than the $3.50 version a year or so ago, and then past the dancing heads, recording studio and willy wonka shop which were all closed. Headed into Looney Tunes Village to go on the River Ride to see that it would not be open until 12pm. Walked back across the park towards WWF and noticed that all the sideshow attractions were open, 3 staff there and no one stopping to use them. After a stop to Scooby Doo (where we were stopped several times while on the ride) we headed back down main street towards the Dru Building store... and stopped in amazement... When did WB have anything to do with Twilight? Or Betty Boop? Or Star Wars? Transformers? Predator? Rocky? Why do they now have a section of the department store devoted to candy, and ice cream? They have the Ice Cream parlour, Willy Wonka and the new store opposite HWSD for that. Then went to go on Batman Adventure the ride only to see the queue now filling the queue area and then heading out past the batman store. Other than Batman, Green Lantern and the Flash I saw no costume characters other than during the parade or their respective shows. I understand that they need to look at the financial side, but this is just getting absolutely terrible. As far as the public holiday penalty rates go... do they not make enough money during the rest of the year to cover one more day of penalty rates? That is almost as bad as Pizza Hut charging more for a pizza as they have to pay their employees more...

Well you won't get me to justify in any way why they should open Anzac day, I mean they open every other public holiday and pay the penalties. But no, keeps the parks closed Anzac day. As for anything else Wyn... no, completely unacceptable. The park hours are 10am to 5pm and therefore EVERYTHING should be open 10am to 5pm. The scheduling of attractions pisses me off beyond belief. As with shops being closed to. This will feature in my Seaworld report with nearly everything closed at 3:30pm... It's a joke!

we headed back down main street towards the Dru Building store... and stopped in amazement... When did WB have anything to do with Twilight? Or Betty Boop? Or Star Wars? Transformers? Predator? Rocky? Why do they now have a section of the department store devoted to candy, and ice cream? They have the Ice Cream parlour, Willy Wonka and the new store opposite HWSD for that.
Again, this is one of those things I don't think is really an issue...At every movie theme park you get some degree of cross polination of movies from other studios...At Universal Orlando they have Simpsons (Which is 20th C Fox) and Harry Potter (Which is Warner Bros.) and at Disneys Hollywood Studios they have Star Tours (Lucasfilm/Fox) and Indiana Jones (Paramount) for instance. Never been in there, but I've always thought that movie memorabilia store was for films in general, and if they didn't stock popular stuff like Transformers or Twilight then chances are guests would be asking where they were since he average guest wouldn't keep tabs on who makes what movie. As for the department store selling 'packaged' ice cream (As pposed to the scoops you'd get at the other outlets) and confectionery. Again, non issue IMO (Even the photo center in Main St has an ice cream freezer)... One of the things I loved about the UK parks is just how well stocked they kept their stores....At the ride exit stores at Australian parks they tend to sell photos and a bit of merchandise. In the UK, every major ride had a huge store, not only selling merch and photos, but selling other stuff like drinks from supermarket sized wall fridges, ice creams, pick n mix lollies, plus all your other sundries. It was a far superior arrangement because it meant you never had to go to much effort to get 'on the go' type food....If I feel like a chocolate the last thing I want to do is walk to the other end of the park to get it. As I said the other day, by all means, if when you go to the park and they do something that impacts on your day, like closing rides etc, take issue with it! But a department store selling confectionery and ice cream, or a movie memorabilia store selling posters for other movies does not have any negative impact on anyones day, and would in fact be a good thing for the visitors who want it. Edited by Gazza

The problem is that the park is specifically marketed as Warner Bros. Yes the movie memorabilia store is movies in general... but at present you cannot turn around in there without seeing Twilight everywhere. They used to have one wall that was covered in Warner Bros only movies and majority of the "memorabilia" in the store you could not find unless you went to a speciality store. Now they have those half rate metal objects that are supposed to look like something from a movie... You can pick these up at any dollars and sense at less than half the price... This, to me, creates the feeling of me being at any shopping centre, not a "movie memorabilia" shop, and I feel that this does create a bit of a negative addition to my day as I don't feel that I am in a unique and purely "theme park" store. To quote you Gazza, "if when you go to the park and they do something that impacts on your day, like closing rides etc, take issue with it!" and that is what I have done. A couple of years ago I was queried if I was a person also known in these forums as Doc Brown, which I denied then as I would now, but what everyone needs to keep in mind is that some people are after a different experience than others and not all of us are purely interested in the thrill of the rides. For me the theming, shows and atmosphere are what draws me back and makes my day. If I go to the park with a group of people I am usually the one who stands back and looks after the bags as the thrill rides do not really interest me. So to me these issues do create a negative impact on my day as they were what kept me coming back for more.

I would have to agree with you. By design the goals of a theme park are escapism and immersion... anything that serves to bring you back to reality is breaking your experience of the park. So if cheap shoddy merch is what is doing that, then yes, you have every justification to be upset about it. Unfortunately revenue in the parks is all about making money, and cheap and nasty is what it's all about. Nothing is unique to the park, it's all about tacky crap that makes a quick buck. The revenue department needs to embrace the concept of 'value adding' and what it can do to enhance their brand.

I have said elsewhere in another thread a year or so ago about removing old rides or something, but it rings true now as well, yes it is first and foremost a business and we all need to be aware that without more money in than out that our theme parks would cease to exist. I am an Accountant and Auditor for an international accomodation chain and as such know this fact very well as it is my job to look at how we can bring down our expenditure and raise the revenue. But first and foremost we ensure we remain true to the company vision which is high quality customer service in a 5 star heritage listed building. I know I may go a little off topic here but, another thread has listed the issues with the VIP pass, and I agree, they are conditioning people to expect low cost ticketing and yes this lower revenue will reflect in the operations as lower revenue means less expenditure to at least break even. For 10 years I paid for an annual pass and never complained about the ever increasing costs and I'm sure a lot of others didn't either because the quality was maintained. But the new VIP passes have created more issues in the long run rather than good I believe as people expect entry at a lower cost, however will still expect to same standard. When the complaints of standard become worse or when attractions fall into a state where more expenditure is required, the prices will go up to raise revenue and people will refuse to pay them as they will expect to get th low prices again. I hope VR hasn't shot itself in the foot with these passes as an idea to raise quick revenue at the cost of long term gains.

Couldn't agree more. Disneyland has the same problem with it's millions of annual passholders. AP prices need to go UP and be almost an elitist item, rather than the cheap and accessable ticket they have become IMO.

While in the Bermuda Triangle thread we have been commenting on the quality and efficiency of staff at SeaWorld, I would like to raise a few issues I noticed on my quick 2 hr trip to MovieWorld today. Usually the staff for Superman Escape are pretty good with ensuring pockets are empty and I understand that sometimes things slip by (I once had my car key and annual pass in my pocket which I honestly forgot about until later that day), however today there was a gentleman 2 rows in front of me who was holding up a digital camera (above his head) filming the entire subway section of the ride, that is until launch when the camera was removed from his grip. I also went on the Looney Tunes River Ride and was very disappointed with the staff prior to boarding the boats. The first staff member completed the first room in what I would say is the fastest I have ever heard. He didn't even pause for people to Ooh and Aah and had completed the second room and was walking into the "Sound Stage" as I was entering the second room, and then continued to blaze through the "Sound Stage" while standing just inside the gate offstage where no one could see him. Now I am all for equal opportunity employment, however, the drill doors opened and a little asian girl who was shorter than the kid I was standing next to attempted to welcome us to "Australia". I say attempted as I don't think anyone other than the people directly in front of the open door even knew she was there and despite almost no talking I could not hear her, and I was standing between both sets of doors no more than a metre and a half from her. Loading into the last of three boats used this cycle, (me in the front row, no one in the second, one in the third and a couple in the back), she attempted to seperate the couple informing them that one of them needed to sit in the second row to balance the boat, to which the female replied that neither of them would move. After asking again and explaining that the boat needed to be evenly balanced and again the female saying no she gave up and sent the boat. I have seen these boats go with 3 people in the front row, 4 in the second and the rest empty. Is this a new OHS ruling? Or was the attendant on some sort of power trip?

What do you mean "Removed from his grip" ? did he lose it? or just put it away? or did the ride stop and an operator come and take it? The boats do float, and an uneven balance with a shallow channel can cause it to bump the bottom a bit - it isn't really an issue that I can see, except it isn't the gentle flowing trip that you'd expect it to be. Having said that, I think it's a bit unreasonable to ask a couple to separate unless they choose to. Wait for another boat? Sure. But not sit in different rows.

I have seen these boats go with 3 people in the front row, 4 in the second and the rest empty. Is this a new OHS ruling? Or was the attendant on some sort of power trip?
I'd say it's a little bit of both. The boats are supposed to be as balanced as possible, with the back being the lightest. Having said that, it's pretty moronic to ask one member of a couple to move when asking both to move one row together would have also worked. Really, unless the couple were huge (like 150kgs each) they should have been fine back there together, and given they got through the ride fine I'd say it was the op operating the ride to letter of the law regardless of common sense.

Okay... Started the morning off at WBMW at 9:50am. Only two ticket booths open selling tickets, yay for the pass, so walked through to the next area where there was only one staff member scanning passes. Again walked down main street to see ALL shops closed with signs informing opening times between 10:30 and 12:30. Went on SDSC, then walked through to WWF where again everything was closed. Walked back to Batman The Ride as it was 10:30am (open from 10 - 11:30) and it was closed. Went to the first HWSD and then headed out, to see the Looney Sports store which has a big sign "HWSD Unique Merchandise" still closed. One would think the perfect time to sell this stuff would be as people were exiting the show. Took a seat in front of the big screen and the Hell Drivers brought out the hero show car. After 15 minutes they took the car back of house, and then returned with it another 15 minutes later. Another 15 minutes of photos and then back of house for 20 minutes before bringing it out once again. Went for a wander towards the WWF smoking area and noticed that there were 6 staff members running 5 sideshow arcade games, yet most of the shops were still closed. It was now 12:30 and finally the Looney Sports, Recording Studio, Photo Store and Willy Wonka stores opened along with the Gotham Cafe. Went on the Dodgems where we were informed by the attendant that we were not to bump into each other... Why else have bumoer cars? Left the park to pick up the wife and noticed that the Batman store was still closed (12:45). Never having being one to believe others and judge things for myself we decided to head to Seaworld... Headed down to Seaworld for the remainder of the day arriving at 14:00pm and headed to the Dockside Tavern for nachos. Got there and was about to order when we were informed by the staff member that they were not serving anymore food today and that we could get food at the front of the park. Decided to take the monorail around from Mid station. When we arrived at the front of the park we headed up to the food outlets to find all closed other than the bakery section so headed over to Guest Services to enquire about where we might be able to get some hot food being winter. I asked the staff member where we could get some food other than icecreams or sandwiches and she immediately said the Dockside Tavern, which I informed her was no longer serving food today. She then said the front of the park, which I again informed her was closed. At this stage she used her radio and called a whole bunch of codes, which I assume was to tell the F&B Supervisor to contact her as immediately the phone rang and she enquired about my issue. She had to tell the F&B Supervisor that Dockside and the front of the park were both closed. She made a few notes and then informed me that the courtyard in the middle of the park was serving burgers and seafood delights until 15:30pm, so we headed there. It was now 15:05pm as we ordered 2 seafood delights to which another attendant (whom I was not ordering through) stopped serving the guests she was serving and told me that they weren't making any more of them as they had no chefs, to which I told her the F&B Supervisor had said they would be serving them until 15:30pm. Despite this she attempted to argue the point until I told her to contact the Supervisor and enquire at which stage she walked out the back and informed the staff that they would have to make them. What happened next was an extremely poor display of customer service. The staff out the back began to argue with the attendant that they were not going to make any, and this was clearly audible from where I was standing. After a minute or so of arguing the staff out back began making the meals, and then proceeded to walk out the front and say to the attendant tell them they will have to wait because we have to cook them... Right in front of me. After the meals we headed to the "new" Sea Viper. The new restraints are terrible. I have broad shoulders and the uuseless bar at the side meant that the attendant had to force the restraint down causing pain to myself and difficulty breathing. Once getting off the ride I felt almost like I had just been on Lethal Weapon with the higher sides to the restraints. We then walked back through the park to the exit only to find every store was closed, too bad that we wanted to grab an icecream on the way out. The only positive from the trip to Seaworld was the animal attractions, we spent 20 minutes watching the baby wobby's in the touch pool at Shark Bay.

Edited by Wyncenuros

Once upon a time I would have argued that WVTP staff were far better than DW who the rude ones. Completely opposite last time I was DW the staff were awesome and really interected and had fun with their customers, which really just ads to that experience, one of them gave me and my friend a shout out after I asked when The Claw started, I thought it was cool! Also the ride supervisor of all their rides was getting everyone to clap after every ride and was awesome as well as the F&B staff and really just all the staff in the park. Whereas last time at MW when I went to go and get my pass done something like thrid or fourth time and it was 4.55 and they'd closed, with still people inside and I asked could I quickly get mine fixed because they had screwed up so many times and front gate had told me next time they wouldn't let me in... She rudely turned around and went not my problem, that's yours for not knowing when they closed, I said well there's no sign and staff never told, I got to bad not problem my shift is over. I went to guest services, told them what happened and she was rude, they told me she was in the right even though they had stuffed up, I explained front gate wouldn't let me what should I do then? They said buy a new one, I just said forget. There was a time when those parks did everything for guests because they were afraid of it getting back to mangement and people like John Menzies, now there not the top dogs staff act like its them before the customer. Well that's true if you want to destroy a companies well built reputation.

Okay...
If I were you I'd forward that whole post to the park. If you're happy with their response, edit the post to indicate this. If your not happy, then post that to let us know and go up another level. You know, I'd rather we were talking about the positive changes happening at the park (Looney Tunes looks great after it's refurb, new entertainment offerings to name a couple), but when there's so many negatives that need to be dealt with it's hard to see the good things.

See when Guest Services becomes on of the "attractions" you attend everytime you go to a park, I think there has been some level of feedback, but when even the supervisor of a department doesn't know what time his/her department is operating I think the level of which these issues occur is a little higher than these posts would ever reach, so where is the point. Let's face it, it doesn't matter what we tell the park, the head honcho is keeping the revenue looking good while supplying a less that reasonable service to the public, and being a business, the money is what they are worried about.

Edited by Wyncenuros