Ardents latest: Illuminate & The Wedgie

GoGoBoy

Ardent Leisure came out with their half year results today and they show that revenue has continued to fall at Dreamworld. International and interstate visitors were down but local attendance received a boost from the $99 World Pass deal. For the first time both parks were lumped together when reporting attendance to the market so there was no way to work out how many visitors each park received respectively. On the new attraction front Ardent announced a new water thrill ride (likely the new waterslide for WWW previously reported on this site) and a new family attraction for Dreamworld targeted for April 2010. The major ride refurbishment and relaunch was also mentioned, scheduled for June 2010.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the update there. I'm sorry to hear a new family attraction is planned to open in April. Sure if it was for December then it could be billed as something major but just under 2 months surely cannot allow sufficient time to build anything major? I think a major new family attraction is really what the park needs. Here's hoping that's not all that DW will be planning to add for 2010

thanks for the update there. I'm sorry to hear a new family attraction is planned to open in April. Sure if it was for December then it could be billed as something major but just under 2 months surely cannot allow sufficient time to build anything major? I think a major new family attraction is really what the park needs. Here's hoping that's not all that DW will be planning to add for 2010
I completely agree with everything you said above Mickey. If we don't see a MAJOR new ride this year in addition to those other things mentioned then I think we'll see Dreamworld's revenue and attendance just keep on slipping...

Yes the World Pass sale was responsible for the local attendance increase (as you'd expect) otherwise we would probably have seen quite a big drop. I think we can quite confidently say that small attractions such as the V8 cars and laser arena are NOT ENOUGH to grow or even maintain attendance. I am still expecting at least one major new ride this year in addition to the other reported attractions. It is the 3rd year in their capital expenditure cycle so if they don't build one they'd be crazy (plus think about their current declining revenues and attendance!). I think it's interesting but not surprising that the Motocoaster addition was not strong enough to increase attendance over corresponding years. Whereas the success of the Claw appeared to keep pushing attendance up. There is no doubt the park needs more coasters but they need to be good ones! I have my doubts about the family attraction as there does not appear to be any DA submitted and as mentioned above 2 months may not be enough to build anything significant

I can’t see why people have turned a new family attraction into a new family ride. Ardent Leisure have not called the new water thrill ride an attraction they have called it a water thrill ride so if they where installing a new family ride it would be named a family ride and not an attraction. I would not expect anything major being launched at Dreamworld except for a xmas period. In a previous discussion there was talk about Dreamworld being in negation for a major thrill ride. Since this is a half year report I would not think Ardent would announce anything in this report for a new attraction falling within the next financial year. I don’t know how long it takes from negotiating a major ride to the ride opening but it is not 2 months. "I have my doubts about the family attraction as there does not appear to be any DA submitted and as mentioned above 2 months may not be enough to build anything significant" From my understating you will not see any DA submitted for Dreamworld. I bit hard to explain but from what I know Dreamworld are able to lodge there applications under the old town planning scheme where White Water World falls under the new planning scheme. Under the new planning scheme a MCU is required and is why we can see the application lodged to the council. If a MCU is not required then Dreamworld would lodge there building application to a building certifier as council no longer do building certification. Once the building certifier has finished the information is archived at council and uploaded onto PDF online.

Edited by skeetafly

I seriously doubt we will be seeing anything "Major" in the new Thrill Ride Department this year, considering in a way the ride re-launch will be considered "Major" in it's own right. Building a brand new, big thrill ride this year would just drown out what will be some major capital investment into the re-launched ride this year, which would raise some serious questions from a stock holders point of view as to what the benefits of spending the money to re-launch this ride would be, considering it's just going to get over-looked with people looking towards the big new attraction instead. Yes, whilst it is disappointing that we won't be seeing a big new thrill ride this year, it is also pleasing to see one thing happen that I have been asking for quite some time now actually happen, the refurbishment and renewal of the older attractions and infrastructure that desperately need it, instead of New Attractions being built whilst everything else is left to fall to despair. Whilst there is still a long way to go in that department (Some of the Facades on Main Street need some serious work, Goldrush, Giant Drop, Cyclone) there is no doubt in my mind that the park is finally on the right track again after years of being on the wrong track, and for that I applaud them. Now all we just need to hope for is that they stay on that branch line instead of going out onto another line going in the opposite direction.

which would raise some serious questions from a stock holders point of view as to what the benefits of spending the money to re-launch this ride would be, considering it's just going to get over-looked with people looking towards the big new attraction instead.
I disagree. Shareholders (myself included) are raising serious questions about what is going to be done to arrest the attendance and revenue decline at Dreamworld. I think this year calls for some big changes to help re-establish Dreamworld as a top theme park. The ride re-launch is in July and I wouldn't expect a new ride until the end of the year. This would allow enough time for both attractions to be marketed individually. While I would agree that in any normal year it might seem like a large amount of activity - I think this year it is completely justified and warranted. Dreamworld needs to pack a real punch to get attendance increasing again. And we are yet to see just how much effort is really going into this ride refurbishment (by the way I am also in total support of much needed ride upgrades and refurbishments)

^ Just to elaborate a bit on the post above. From Dreamworld's website...

DW-Info-News-Illuminate.jpg The Illuminate Light & Laser Spectacular will magically transform Main Street into a SpongeBob SquarePants’ fantasy and a 3-Dimensional peek at his underwater home. Using laser like you’ve never seen before, stories will be lifted from the real to the unreal. Combined with emotional sound tracks, special effects, pyrotechnics and architectural lighting are set to enthral guests. Illuminate runs daily at 5.00pm from April 2nd to 16th and is complimentary for all Dreamworld or World Pass ticket holders. Brought to Dreamworld by Laser Vision the creators of the world’s largest light and sound show - Hong Kong’s Symphony of Lights. More info coming soon!

The show itself sounds interesting, but the part about Spongebob just makes me :huh: The thing is it would've been popular for everyone without the character tie in...In fact I'd say Spongebob might be a bit of a turn off for anybody who is not a kid (Or a parent taking one). Anybody who has been to comparable events like Riverfire would know that young kids through to older people go, and it is the spectacle that attracts them rather than any sort of promotional tie in. Still, putting on an event at the end of the night sounds like a good move to keep people in the park and spending money.

sounds good but surely the time for it kicking off must be a mistake? It's still light then?? It would have to be at least 6pm to make it work - by which time park guests would be long gone if there is no other reason to keep em there? I'm keen to find out more but if it's going to be an outdoor show presented from 5.. seriously what's the point in that? and what's the go with emotional soundtracks featuring.... who??? spongebob? i'm ready i'm ready i'm ready lol

"Dreamworld CEO Noel Dempsey said the light show, called Illuminate, would be a permanent fixture at the theme park." I bet this is the new family attraction we have all been talking. What a load of S***t. Another note anyone seen the log ride final drop. I almost fell over with laughter when I saw it. Talk about a patch work quilt. If I was Village Road Show I would be going to bed a happy person tonight. Just when you think Dreamworld can't get it more wrong they do.

"Dreamworld CEO Noel Dempsey said the light show, called Illuminate, would be a permanent fixture at the theme park." I bet this is the new family attraction we have all been talking. What a load of S***t.
Hopefully it means Dreamworld is looking at extended trading, perhaps by having it run Saturdays during part of the year and perhaps nightly during holidays (or something similar). I hope it works, and I hope Movieworld steals the idea. I think with all the characters and the possibility of projecting on the roof the sort of shows they could do there would be amazing. Although one could argue that DW are stealing the concept since it's been out in the open for a while now the idea of MW doing it's Xmas stuff. I think this could potentially be the sort of thing that Dreamworld SHOULD be adding. I wasn't expecting anything like a big family ride at DW this year, and I can't really fault the idea of a night show. Well, apart from the mystifying decision of making Spongebob as the star.

Off topic but was there today and the log ride is looking great, patch work job? Nope looks the way it should with a replaced drop and worked on lift. As for illuminations there are speakers going up around the fountain. No point taking photos as well all know what the look like but I am going to guess they may have something to do with it. Only time will tell if they are. There was channeling around the whole water feature area so it is either this or they are doing a slight upgrade of the audio system for the area.

Off topic but was there today and the log ride is looking great, patch work job? Nope looks the way it should with a replaced drop and worked on lift. As for illuminations there are speakers going up around the fountain. No point taking photos as well all know what the look like but I am going to guess they may have something to do with it. Only time will tell if they are. There was channeling around the whole water feature area so it is either this or they are doing a slight upgrade of the audio system for the area.
Good to see they finshed the job that I seen. On another note while driving past today I did see a crane lifting the wedge into position. Edited by skeetafly

Um... wasn't this ride supposed to be translucent? According to the copy on the WWW website the slide should be clear. And also won't this orange colour make the slide blend in with the Hydrocoaster which it will be passing under? I would have thought they would have wanted to make it stand out and differentiate it from the Hydrocoaster