Giant Drop Testing

lylefart

Hi all, just wondering, a few days ago, driving past Dreamworld at 8.30am. I noticed that the GD's gondola (West, facing inland) was sitting at the 60m mark (I think). Halfway up the tower, the gondola was frozen in it's spot and didn't budge, due to our car travelling North on the M1, it was very hard to distinguish if anything was on top of the gondola's 'pulley' (I have no clue what the thing above the gondola is called (with the dual cables attached)). I just want to know, was this simply early morning testing/maintenance? Or was the ride undergoing a testrun and had brokendown?

Sounds like standard morning opening for a tower. At least that is how it was on Probe... As I recall, they winch the cable up into the head of the tower overnight to prevent the cable whipping around in the wind without a load attached to it. In the morning, they have to lower it manually, which comes down very VERY slowly.

I drive past every morning and night of the week, and at night as mentioned they pull it up the top and in the morning it comes down and they also take the gondola up very slow and its stops at places (I'm guessing where that thing that sticks out of the tower every so often up and just go through normal testing for the day) at places and so on. Don't always see it at the same time though; tomorrow at 8.30 the car could still be at the top, they wouldn't have started on it. You just got to be lucky with what time you drive past and what their up to. Same with Batwing you see in the morning stopped at different places up the tower, but not always you can drive past same time and instead see SE doing its thing or Road Runner!