Tower of Terror Update

ads086

There may already be a topic, but I couldn't find it, so if there is, please move this and sorry. Was at the park on Monday and noticed a few beams and bars laying out about the place. My thinking is that the rumour of the dark section on ToT being extended may just be true. I managed to get a few photos, so I've attached them here. Or if anyone wants to speculate on what it may be for, go for it - I'd love to hear. post-224-1271791595_thumb.jpg post-224-1271791634_thumb.jpg post-224-1271791663_thumb.jpg post-224-1271791762_thumb.jpg

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks very much for the photos. My first guess would be a tunnel extension too. I sure hope they are going to do more than just that though. I'd much rather the car being turned around, the tower painted and theming refurbed and more power added. Hopefully a tunnel extension is one of a number of changes and not the only change!

It is the tunnel expansion that is going ahead. One of the main reasons for the extended tunnel is as you know the tower closes when it rains and then the ride ops must go and squigee the track, now there will be no need to squigee and take out that 15 minutes of pointless waiting - as soon as the rain stops the ride will be re-open. As for the car you will see a brand new car but my understanding is it will not be backwards. It will though be lighter and therefore faster.

Good to see the moment holidays are over they are starting this. Was wondering on Saturday how long the pieces would be in their delivery position before they started to use them for construction. Looking forward to the final result. Hopefully it will be good add a bit more to the experience. I also hope the queue line gets some needed attention whilst they are working on the ride.

It barely makes it halfway up the tower as it is, so there is plenty of room to move. Plus at very the top they've got a braking system that prevents it going off the end: http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/large/genera...op-and-_006.jpg Thanks for the pics by the way ads068, good to see DW finally are getting around to refreshing older attractions...I'm just hoping the queue gets cleaned up a bit too.

Some of my past comments on TOT were about my skeptical, yet I have heard rumours from ride ops and have oviously just found more proof that more shall occur. I am now believing that these rumours are true, and I am very excited that some changes are actually going to occur. Just like most of you, I also do believe that the tunnel is now going to be extended, a lighter car is going to go onto the tracks and as this will be lighter, hopefully it would bump TOT up to the worlds 3rd fastest roller coaster (beating Dodonpa) and add up for an entire new experience. Hopefully lighting and smoke affects will be added and the TOT will end up being a more renowned and iconic ride in the park. And a little off topic, Gazza, do you know when that photo was taken, it may just be the point of view, but, the tower looks very sexy, with the colours and all.

Edited by lylefart

do you know when that photo was taken, it may just be the point of view, but, the tower looks very sexy, with the colours and all.
July 31 2004. (Photo page here) I guess it could switch spots with Dodonpa because they only have 12km/h difference. I highly doubt it will beat either Kingda Ka or Top Thrill Dragster though. Finally, just to show a better overview of the steel I thought I'd include this. The photo is by pin142 who posted it over at Theme Park Review a couple of days ago. img_0185a.jpghttp://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewt...=882892#p882892

TPGC, I think that you are probably right about the colours and all, and TOT could probably beat Dodonpa easily (don't go off at me but I think TOT's top speed can be a whopping 185km/h (It might just be a rumour, as it does launch with LIM's) but the only way TOT could beat TTD or KK would be to move Tiger Island slightly to the east, add another hundred meters of track, move the station back with the track, change the LIM's to a hydraulic launch (I think thats what KK uses), add a small brake run before the tower to slightly lower the speed, make the "escape pod" go all the way up the tower and then make the brakes at the top of the tower different so that the car can slow down without a load of screeching! Too much work to make it awesome! :rolleyes:

Edited by lylefart

This refurb won't be opening until September now. I was reading a presentation given by the Ardent Leisure CEO (you can find it online under their ASX announcements). I wonder what has caused the delay and whether it is intentional? My concern about a September opening would be that they then don't open a major new ride in December - as I was originally hoping - and instead delay it for another year. Here's hoping I'm very wrong!

^ I'm thinking that they've said September to ensure they have enough time to do it. If you think back three years to when the Motocoaster was being constructed. It was due for an early September opening, but it ended up opening on the last day of the month due to delays. According to Dreamworld's maintenance page the tower of terror isn't down for maintenance past the 25th of June. That says to me they aren't planning on having it down after that and would probably have it ready by July as expected. But in saying that, if they do put it down for longer and make a better job of it, I wouldn't be complaining.

you can find it online under their ASX announcements
The presentation is available here.

• 4 weeks later...

Was at the park yesterday, and it seems most of the framework for the new tunnel enclosure is in place. I didn't get a picture of the curved sheets of tin that are going up - these are sitting near the bottom of Giant Drop, but I did get a picture of the frames. post-224-1274075099_thumb.jpg Picture was taken from Central Station I'm just wondering now how long until it will be finished? And also, if they're going to put some form of lighting effect in there. If it were me, I would place simple white fluorescent globes every 15-20 metres, just so your eyes never really adjust.

Somewhat. They day I was there, no construction or movement of any kind was taking place between park opening and 1pm when the ride opened. It was why I questioned if the delayed opening was really for construction or for something else (e.g. Cost Cutting like VRTP would do at the moment)

Somewhat. They day I was there, no construction or movement of any kind was taking place between park opening and 1pm when the ride opened. It was why I questioned if the delayed opening was really for construction or for something else (e.g. Cost Cutting like VRTP would do at the moment)
Could have been upgrades/maintenance on the controls or theming in the station?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just wondering how they are going to get this 'major refurb' completed if they are only working on the ride until 1pm each day? According to the maintenance page there is no shutdown planned for ToT for the rest of this year. My question is how are they planning to transition from the old ToT to the 'new' one without a proper shutdown? This also throws some doubt over just how major the upgrade will be. I guess I should let go of my hope of a re-paint of the main tower. And possibly no major queue adjustments either?

I went to Dreamworld on Saturday and noticed the frame for the new tunnel too. Surely if they're going to do these refurbishment, the ride would be closed for at least a week? Not many people were on from the looks of it though, when I was watching it from the Motocoaster only about 6-8 people went up... Maybe that has to do with it?

Well, it is a wonder, yet couldn't they work on it after hours? They could easily finish the tunnel, as it is growing closer to the tower weekly, but what about the new cart expected? It's definitely a wonder. I have heard a rumour that the progress might be slowed, and finally finish during February/March 2011. You never really know though. I went to Dreamworld two weeeks ago, and it did feel slightly faster, yet it could just be the difference in experience as it is much darker in launch track.

Edited by lylefart

I have heard a rumour that the progress might be slowed, and finally finish during February/March 2011.
That would be terrible... we all know the park is in desperate need of a major new ride IN ADDITION to this ride refurb. Can you imagine if both the new ride and the ToT refurb did not materialise this year?!

• 1 month later...

I can confirm that the re-LAUNCH of Tower of Terror will be September this year and all of the details will be available shortly. Can't reveal what the major difference will be but it has already been mentioned somewhere on this site. Can confirm that the tunnel has been extended (obviously) and a whole new car. Everything else will be revealed soon. Unfortunately no re-paint of the tower and I'm not sure on the queue and lighting effects in the tunnel but will find out this week.

Thanks very much for this info Bella. Can I ask whether you think the general public (and of course all of us on here) will be impressed with this upgrade or is it going to be pretty minor in the scheme of things? I think a lot of people will be very disappointed if they don't use this opportunity to at least fix up the queue and theming

What's the chances we could start a big facebook/twitter push to get the tower repainted? I guess the only reason would be because they would have to close both Tower of Terror and Giant Drop to do it, but if they organise everything as much as they possibly can, it should only be a day, maybe 2. Pay your staff to work long days to reduce the amount of time they'd be out of commission. Perhaps there is a way they could close GD, paint 3/4 of the tower then, and then close ToT to do the rest the next day? I was just thinking that people power managed to get Betty White to host Saturday Night Live, lets start working to improve our parks the same way.