Tower of Terror Update

ads086

So Lasers are on the list.. that means smoke too :D
I found out some more details today and managed to get a glimpse of the car in the workshop in the USA. It wasn't complete but I'm really excited. As for the final touches the ride will be down from the 16 August until the launch in September and can expect a re-furb of the queue line as well as more additions to the tunnel itself - inside and out. It is going to be a total re-LAUNCH.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nice pun. Do you know whose doing the car? can anyone get pics of the opening??? I'll be in Japan. Will start a topic soon about my trip and any tips you guys can give me or if you want any pix
Oh, get me a Hatsune Miku figma while you're there :P Nah jk. (need to save up for a miku figure though...) Japan has some pretty cool rides, like this one I saw on Wikipedia (forgot the name of it) the coaster is basically a "cage"... but it's still a coaster. ...that doesn't make much sense, does it? On another note, yes they need to fix the Motocoaster! If that's the case, the whole of Rivertown should be refurbished... seriously, I love DW and WWW so much but their theming is a bit... wack :P They need to fix the capacity on the Motocoaster, it seems even on quiet days it takes about an hour to get onto the ride... Edited by lollydove

I would like to see some fog shoot out of the end.. Like space mountain. Still, will on ride photos remain?
there will be fog
Quick update. When I was leaving for work today I saw a helicopter lifting gear on top of the Tower. I could not get a good picture with my phone but it was interesting to see.
i saw that too, it was an electric motor, a replacement for the one that was broken.

Well, I have actually, for over 2 weeks, have been working with Damo from the marketing team (Kenny Koala on Facebook) on custom creating a car on Sketchup and adding it to RCT3 (I know you think Childish, but it was soooo hard to add the right effects, etc.) and doing some pro video recording and to finish it all up yesterday and it was posted. So, saying this, I got pictures of the cart, artist impressions of the launch, knowing what lasers do what, the mist, etc. Really amazing stuff. I cant release any pics or anything, because I promised, but as someone said above, it is very awe-inspiring and has a lower front, no spikes, and much smaller and looks lighter. Well maybe not smaller length ways, but defineatly in height. Looks like it will also be smoother with the new wheels which are much tighter and smaller with grip. You will all find out in the coming times... My custom car wasn't perfect, because I had to rush it out AND my pictures was from before it was fully finished. Pretty much, the cart is smaller, slicker, big red seats, over shoulder harnesses such as those on the Superman and Surfrider and it's just amazing some of these artist impressions and stuff that has been put into it! A must ride! The lasers, they're circle lasers attached to the tunnel that light up the tunnel with a big red light as it goes through and 'follows' it, as you see on some California Screamin' tunnels at night but in the mist, so it's much coolar and yer, just ride it as soon as you can! Check out their Fan Page for 1000 Free Tix comp also! (That's what it is called, I didn't miss spell). I can't move the video I posted here, so you can see it in a post at facebook.com/dreamworld Have fun!

Well, this is just what I was told... and that it would be a big laser circular projector thingy ma-bob (They didn't use those words exactly) and that it would follow allong and project into the mist... They can be circular. From the structure for the tunnel before the covering was put on, I say that it will be the lighting effect used on the California Screamin' at night, but brighter and more projecting.

Thanks GoGoBoy, but my 'Dream Job' (I actually used that somewhere!) is ride design & engineering. Kenny actually asked me to do the project after seeing some of my other custom designs I had done. Pretty cool and had me excited. :D As soon as I can say anything else, I will. And I think I can post the video here, so here is a link:

Lasers can't be "circle" and attached to the tunnel to follow the car. Sounds like a cool lighting effect but it's not going to be lasers.
Is it possible that it could be a cone/vortex shaped laser? It could be aligned with the tunnels centreline, and as the train launches the angle the cone sweeps out by narrows the further the train moves away from the laser source, so the 'ring' that is produced when the laser fially hits the tunnels walls moves to keep up with the car. It'd be fairly easy to calculate...just have a function that describes the cars position at a given time during the launch, and sit this inside a tangent function which describes the sweep of the laser. If you take the average acceleration of the car to be 6.3ms^-2 and the tunnel to be 4m wide you end up with something like θ = cot (0.7875*T^2) Where θ is how much the laser needs to sweep in from the centerline and T is the seconds after launch post-88-1281519820_thumb.jpg Edit: Why am I being silly...it wouldn't need to be in the middle of the tunnel at all to work. Edited by Gazza

Went to Dreamworld today, didn't get any pics though. But there has been some internal work done to the theming so far. The skull has been repainted and looks 110% and inside the "refrigerator" as it's been aptly called for ages, now has some plywood walls over it and painted grey. The 2 foyer's are also getting this treatment so it seems and will hopefully have some theming installed over the 4 week's of downtime. Also the city scene has been removed from underneath you, and the lights switched off. There also has been a tiny bit of work done in the 2 loading rooms and the exit of the ride. Another random thing that was interesting today was The Claw was running with ONE staff member all day, and 3 on the Wipeout... I didn't think that The Claw would normally run with less than 2 operators.

Lasers are usually fairly innefective when used to 'project' as all you would see is a rather shaky dodgy thin cicle on the walls. They look their best when you're looking at them which would mean it would have to be in the middle of the tunnel which obviously isn't possible. Neon or LED would be a much better effect here IMO ala Space Mountain.

Went to Dreamworld today, didn't get any pics though. But there has been some internal work done to the theming so far. The skull has been repainted and looks 110% and inside the "refrigerator" as it's been aptly called for ages, now has some plywood walls over it and painted grey. The 2 foyer's are also getting this treatment so it seems and will hopefully have some theming installed over the 4 week's of downtime. Also the city scene has been removed from underneath you, and the lights switched off. There also has been a tiny bit of work done in the 2 loading rooms and the exit of the ride. Another random thing that was interesting today was The Claw was running with ONE staff member all day, and 3 on the Wipeout... I didn't think that The Claw would normally run with less than 2 operators.
Oh, that's good- seems they're giving it the much-needed refurb. Having never been on ToT before I've never seen the queue but I've heard it's rather bad... So excited for the relaunch ^O^

I am assuming that after the refurb, TOT will be a new record holder again. I can't wait for the new ride experience, I just hope that Dreamworld don't think that they can get away with doing the ride change and not introduce another new thrill ride for the next 4 years.

I am assuming that after the refurb, TOT will be a new record holder again.
:blink:http://about.dreamworld.com.au/Media-Centr...-OF-TERROR.aspx
Hitting up to 161 km/h in seven seconds flat, riders soar 100m into the atmosphere
Sounds exactly the same to me....Kingda Ka will still be the tallest coaster and Formula Rossa will be the fastest. Edited by Gazza

Japan has some pretty cool rides, like this one I saw on Wikipedia (forgot the name of it) the coaster is basically a "cage"... but it's still a coaster.
Think you could possibly put up a link to that wiki page with the coaster? And its good that the ToT is getting a re-furb. I havnt actually been on it yet, but it sounds like that it will become better than ever.