Tower of Terror Update

ads086

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah and carbon fibre costs 100 times that of steel mate. Gazza all that you just circled is the theming the fact that back bar is only stich welded shows its not a structural element, strip off all that theming which is probably only 3mm plate or so and it would just be a frame underneath you can even see the start of it that attached to the wheels, that would just continue on into a beam which runs the whole length of the car with a cross beam or two. Trust me you are trying to talk way out of your knowledge here guys whats shown on the outside is never that structural its all the internal stuff you cant see.

Well, I was more getting at the fact TOT has pretty much the largest coaster wheels known to man, and look at the size of that axle! And in any case, superfluous, non structural theming is going to be adding weight isn't it?

that back bar is only stich welded shows its not a structural element,
I wasn't focusing on that bit....

That isnt the axle though the axle would run through that and be much smaller since bearings and such have to fit in that tube too and those wheels would be a cnc billet of aluminium much like a car alloy wheel is. PLease just stop now you seem to have very limited understanding of the contruction side of things, yes its got some burly parts on it compared to a standard coaster car but its not a standard coaster car is it. Bigger wheels reduce the wear and tear on things like bearings and the wear on axles, greatly decreasing the down time caused by failing parts such as this. Everything is used for a reason its not just bigger wheels look cool. Yes theming ads weight i never denied that but you seem to not understand the weight of steel products, a 1mm sheet of steel 1m x 1m will weigh 7.48kg so considering they only use 2-3mm thick plate for theming its probably not even 150kg added weight over the whole ride. That is not alot in the scheme of things

Edited by Scott.

Yeah exactly, im not saying they cant loose weight off it because they can im just saying its really not going to make a huge difference because they wont loose as much as dreamworld seem to claim. There wont be any noticeable performance increase just because of a so called "lighter car", giving the launch systems a tuneup will have a much bigger increase.

Edited by Scott.

Hmm, perhaps a higher. I was watching from near the 'fire station' so the view of the tower was obscured some what. Definitely higher than 'normal' - but not on every shot. One of the later launches wasn't far from the top brake section, maybe 15ft from there. Perhaps some photos if testing tomorrow. I can hear it from our pool so will head over if I hear it.

hey guys, ive been visting/following these forums for quite a while. and rick i was at movieworld today aswell and saw the car testing, i agree it looked as if it was going much higher as usual. there were two things i noticed though, the car looks very very big and the noise when its in the tunnel is reduced quite a bit from the old car, but as soon as it gets out of the tunnel its as loud as ever... i feel bad for those living next to dreamworld!

hey guys, ive been visting/following these forums for quite a while. and rick i was at movieworld today aswell and saw the car testing, i agree it looked as if it was going much higher as usual. there were two things i noticed though, the car looks very very big and the noise when its in the tunnel is reduced quite a bit from the old car, but as soon as it gets out of the tunnel its as loud as ever... i feel bad for those living next to dreamworld!
I agree - it is quieter in the tunnel - and to be honest I thought it was a little quieter on the Tower? I'm interested to see how the OTSRs affect the floating feeling on the tower.

i guess it was a little bit thinking about it now... did you like the way the car looked? i just think the colours are a bit too light for the dark and gritty feel the tot has! OTSRS? i have no idea what that means... by the way did you see the structure thing they were building next to the end of the tunnel? it was like a small house to put on at the end of the tunnel for where the car enters and stuff, weird looking... i should of taken a photo

by the way did you see the structure thing they were building next to the end of the tunnel? it was like a small house to put on at the end of the tunnel for where the car enters and stuff, weird looking... i should of taken a photo
Yes - was really sure what to make of that!