Tower of Terror Update

ads086

Dreamworld has still been packed despite the crowds. The ride is alot quicker to restart after the rain as they don't need to dry down the track. So pretty much as soon as it stops raining they will run the ride, it has also operated during a sprinkle though so it's not as tempremental. I went on Thursday and the park was PACKED. I have a Max Action Pass and it still took 35 minutes to get into the park. Each thrill ride had roughly 4 operators. Lines were as follows: ToT2: 2 hours approx Claw: 30 mins Wipeout: 30 mins Cyclone: 1.5 Hours Giant Drop: 30 mins Motocoaster: 1.5 hours (1 train) Overall I think Tower of Terror 2 is a very decent upgrade and i'll do a more in depth review in a few days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So for those who have ridden, what are your thoughts? I'd definitely sum up my experience of the new Terror of Terror 2 like this - ride experience is really great while everything else seems slack. The ride now features a countdown sequence before you launch, the new squillions of LED fixtures they've added get cut as you stare down the e-stop segment of the tunnel where a large jet fan gets illuminated as if you're about to get blown out of the station, literally. Big countdown voice etc. etc. the launch program has been redesigned so it's a lot less jerk-kneck speed in two points and alot more continuous throughout the launch. They've put rings of red LEDS inside the tunnel that, while right now, seem to all do random different things (some spin, some are static etc.) would be put to better use if they were all designed to a program (Space Mountain's lights come to mind). It is a shame though that they really haven't done anything about the ride maintaining its launch height. First it was getting some great height, then it wasn't, now it really isn't ... what's going on? Where the ride really gets let go is the queue line. But I was a huge optimist. I was expecting them to dig through the ride's old systems and plug in the strobes, dust off the misters and turn up the old soundtrack and get rid of the garbage in the town you walk over, redo the plexiglass, queue people up in the original spots the gates were and maybe even use the lifts again. Instead what I saw was this old attitude of "if it's broke, stick some panels and some paint over it". The old city is gone, stuff is painted and the most they've added to the queue is a hundred bucks worth of PVC pipe, pictures of jets and an optical illusion, red vinyl floors and weird bits of replica jet engines as you leave!? I still don't understand how Dreamworld under-estimates what attention to detail does to a "theme park". Movie World up the road spends the same amount of money on themeing to their entrance for a temporary "probably only going to be used once Facade" for Fright Nights as Dreamworld does applying stickers, paint and piping in their queue line for a permanent attraction. And then we see already the kiddies peeling and destroying the queue line, in short half of its a holiday period bandaid. We'll probably go the way of The Giant Drop in the sense that when it's promised to be fixed, instead we'll see the queue line guttered and replaced with nice big black walls to look at. All in all, fantastic ride experience, really unique sensation being up that high looking down, but as for everything else.. And in another Dreamworld "take two steps forward, one step back" move, they've opened up the old merchandise door that leads to Nick Central and cut away the path to get in. Awesome idea! The bad news? Everytime you walk through you're reminded that the fountains in Nick Central don't work, Spongebob's now gone and the Spooty Spin's waterfall (and, by large, the entire mountain) doesn't work and looks old and faded.

I'm still yet to go, but from what I've read here on the forums, I would think the whole turbine theming a bit silly. Given that the launch tunnel is all about playing tricks on the mind, why not fill the whole queue line with optical illusions, and theme it to be a lab where scientists are working on mind-altering chemical substances and there was a chemical spill and the fumes are causing strange reactions?? You could have the ride attendants dressed up in lab coats with coloured splotches all over them from where they've spilt chemicals on themselves and acting a little crazy. The actual ride could be a test, to determine if the effects of this chemical spill had worn off yet - if you pass you get to leave (obviously everyone would pass). The attendants could tell guests on the way out to watch out for orange barrels or something - and fill the queue line with orange barrels that this chemical leaked out of. Merchandising opportunity could be little plastic barrels on key chains, lab coats, shirts saying "I survived the chemical spill of TOT2".

• 1 month later...

Just while this thread is currently active again... TOTII is back to its old ways... accelerate, slow down, accelerate then half way or less up the tower, now I know Slick said they redesigned the launch, but to me it feels EXACTLY the same way it used to be, it is very noticeable when it stops launching and starts up again. I personally feel going backwards gave the ride new excited and edge which it needed, however the theming? Its just very disappointing (and confusing), I didn't know what was going on, first a gigantic skull out the front, some boards with flashing lights, then a dark tunnel with conduit and exposed arcing wires, an optical illusion then some turbins? Looking at the tee's in the store there isn't even a turbine on them... but then again I honestly had no idea what was going on before. I guess it beats ply wood on the walls.

I woudn't so much say the queue has gone backwards...It's more or less the same quality level as it always has been. Different? yeah, Better? no. Some parts of the building still look like they are held together in a questionable manner, and that "Nightclub Foyer" room where the last bit of the queue is had me scratching my head.

shirts saying "I survived the chemical spill of TOT2".
Serious question, but who would be caught dead wearing a T-Shirt like that?

Just while this thread is currently active again... TOTII is back to its old ways... accelerate, slow down, accelerate then half way or less up the tower, now I know Slick said they redesigned the launch, but to me it feels EXACTLY the same way it used to be, it is very noticeable when it stops launching and starts up again. I personally feel going backwards gave the ride new excited and edge which it needed, however the theming? Its just very disappointing (and confusing), I didn't know what was going on, first a gigantic skull out the front, some boards with flashing lights, then a dark tunnel with conduit and exposed arcing wires, an optical illusion then some turbins? Looking at the tee's in the store there isn't even a turbine on them... but then again I honestly had no idea what was going on before. I guess it beats ply wood on the walls.
I woudn't so much say the queue has gone backwards...It's more or less the same quality level as it always has been. Different? yeah, Better? no. Some parts of the building still look like they are held together in a questionable manner, and that "Nightclub Foyer" room where the last bit of the queue is had me scratching my head.
The que line has been worked on since original launch, there is now a slight story line (shown on 3 TV's). Some red strip lighting and more, nothing extensive but better than nothing.
Then again, people buy those stupid bogan, black coloured TOT T-Shirts with the airbrushed skull and metallic style writing, so maybe people will buy anything.
People will buy anything, I bought a "Big 6" shirt the other day for $12ish ($19.95 minus 40% discount) and I am not sure if it was worth it ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Story line? There are several story lines, all relating around airplanes (obviously why there's turbines/jets). They all end up finishing off at people falling, face first. One's like a parachute not working after (I'm not sure, it was either a sky dive or a plane crashing), and there's a couple more. Just a little joke. Me and my friend always say the jet engine at the start fell off a Qantas plane. ;) It was proved that this whole thing was based on Qantas when the Fire extinguisher was at the end of the emergency brake run, not at easy accessibility. :P

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, so as most of you may know Superman the escape at Six Flags Magic Mountain has recently opened, with its backward cars too... Just like TOT 2. What is happening though is that the Superman cars are making it all the way to the top with people on it. This was taken today: thumb_superman_02.jpg (Courtesy of Robb Alvey at themeparkreview.com) Why is it that Supermans cars can make it all (well most) of the way to the top... but TOT 2 still hasnt changed in height? This is really frustrating!!

Here's a press release from 1999 that regards the speed of the both TOT and S:EFK. Currently claims are being made that S:EFK is reaching speeds of 104mph (168km/h) instead of 100mph (161km/h). This could provide a reason why its reaching so high.

Dreamworld Disputes Claims Made by US Theme Park Dreamworld's $16-million high-tech thrill ride, the Tower of Terror will retain its title as "the fastest, tallest ride in the world" despite recent claims made by a United States theme park. Chief Executive Officer of Dreamworld, Mr. Fred Maybury today dismissed statements made in the media that "Superman the Escape", located at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, California had exceeded Dreamworld's world speed record as "inaccurate and misleading". "The fact is, by design, both rides are identical reverse free fall roller coasters and not designed to achieve a speed greater than 161 km/hour (100mph) and operate safely," Maybury said. This has been confirmed by the ride's manufacturer, Intamin AG of Switzerland. "Dreamworld's Tower of Terror is capable of matching or exceeding speeds recorded by the US ride, but for safety reasons Dreamworld chooses not to", Maybury added. No verification or confirmation has been provided that the Tower of Terror's speed record had been broken other than reports made in the media. On February 7, 1997 Dreamworld's Tower of Terror officially claimed the world speed record reaching a speed of 161 kilometers per hour (100 mph). The speed was registered on a Police calibrated hand-held Falcon radar gun and verified by a Justice of the Peace."

You will find that the computer system on this attraction would have been upgraded. And it would not surprise me if the ride in America has had only 1 of the 2 sides with the new upgrade. So that if it wasn't running properly (or buggy) they could at least run the other until they got all the kinks worked out. From what I have heard the ride has been running well since it started testing. It would not surprise me if the 2nd side of the attraction gets the upgrade too now along with Tower of Terror 2 during its rehab period (around September) This may or may not be true, but it would be the most logical explanation. And obviously with the computer upgrade it was able to reach slightly higher speeds than before.