[WTF] Movieworld Sued

Reanimated35

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensl...f-1225857138033
Teenage paperboy sues Warner Bros Movie World for lost earnings over broken wrist * Greg Stolz * From: The Courier-Mail * April 23, 2010 12:00AM A SCHOOL boy injured at Warner Bros Movie World is suing the Gold Coast theme park and the State for thousands of dollars in lost earnings as a part-time paper boy. Corey Mason Cross, 14, has launched legal action seeking almost $60,000 in damages after he allegedly fractured his wrist in a fall during a school excursion to Movie World in December 2008. He is holding the theme park and the Government liable. In a statement of claim filed earlier this month in the District Court in Brisbane - with his mother acting as "litigation guardian" - the Toowoomba teen alleged he was waiting with students from Centenary Heights State High to enter the park. He claimed a Movie World employee excited the students by telling them about the park rides and counting down until the park opened. When the gates opened, the students ran into the park and Corey was allegedly knocked over in the rush. He suffered a fractured left wrist and abrasions which caused scarring, court documents states. The injuries caused him 'significant pain, suffering and loss of amenity of life', litigation firm Shine Lawyers allege. The claim alleges Movie World and the Government breached their duties by failing to take proper safety precautions during the excursion. It alleged that after the accident, Corey was unable to return to his job delivering The Toowoomba Chronicle. His damages claim of $57,718.85 includes more than $6500 in lost earnings from the paper round. He is also claiming more than $40,000 in future earnings that lawyers say he stands to lose. The claim states he wants to become a computer engineer but the injury will affect his capacity to work and disadvantage his job prospects. Movie World has made a confidential final offer to settle the claim. Corey's mother, Nicole Lee, declined to comment.
I wish I was able to get a $40000 job at 14 Douchebag in question: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100...703&ref=sgm Edited by reanimated35

Well I fractured my wrist in primary school actually. Should I go back and sue them now? I mean, it's only been 10 years or so... "$6500 in lost earnings from the paper round." That's a shit load for paper delivery "He claimed a Movie World employee excited the students by telling them about the park rides and counting down until the park opened." MW should just take the piss out of him and put giant signs up warning people not to be excited

Edited by reanimated35

Being from Toowoomba and doing a paper run there would be more dangers than the rush at Movie World. People there can't drive properly at all and surprised not has happened on the run. Being 14 and with a damaged wrist I am guessing there is something else he is unable to do as well! Maybe next time waiting a bit further away from the crowd might be on the cards!

I'm sorry but the fact is that it was he and a bunch of kids he went to school with... If he was in the rush with colleagues and fell or was tripped up, how on Earth is that Movieworld's issue? He and his colleagues made the conscious decision to rush and that was the outcome. He was not forced by the employee to rush so how can he possibly sue? I cracked 2 ribs on the Aqua 8 racer, which resulted in me missing 4 weeks of work which would have brought in $3000... Did I sue Wet 'n' Wild? No, because I made the conscious decision to use the slide and as a result of my actions the injury occured. The kid's mother needs to get off her high horse and deal with it. A kids at 14 should be hanging out with friends and enjoying himself and not working.

Unfortunately Wyn, you are in the minority (like me) and accept responsibility for your own actions. Most people look to hold anyone but themselves responsible. They have a reasonable case - as hyping up the children in a situation where the park knows that excited children will be more lively and inclined to rush and run is a recipe for disaster. Should the kid take responsibility for his own actions? Yes. Should he also be suing the other children who were involved in pushing him over? Yes - but they don't have deep pockets, and warner village does.

It's probably just worth considering the facts instead of jumping on the "lawsuits bad!" bandwagon. Parks like Movie World choose to open the main gate then for whatever arbitrary reason hold everyone behind ropes for a while allowing the crowd and excitement to build. They do actively cultivate a stampede of sorts, so when a kid gets hurt as a result you can't really state as a blanket fact that the park wasn't at least partly to blame. I suspect Movie World's lawyers thought the same, and as a result this kid's probably got himself anything from a new iPod to his first car paid for, and I doubt he's the first nor the last.