SeaWorld's Past

post-2117-0-71628200-1321169878_thumb.jp The above picture of Sea World, from 1982, was recently posted by the Gold Coast Bulletin in a gallery on the Life and Times of Keith Williams. In the top left corner I think I can make out the castle with a series of water slides branching off it. Does anyone have any more info on these? Were they the same body slides that existed at the water park for years (just in a different location), or are these something different?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure when they were installed, I was going to say they were installed by 1984, but clearly they're at least 2 years older than that. They are the slides that until recently were in the water park, I believe they were relocated In 1994ish. When the slides were next to the castle there was also a third small slide which didn't make the move. The spot in the water park they were moved to had previously been home to a slide called 'Rapid Mountain', an attraction that was very similar to Krakatoa's Revenge at Dreamworld, which apparently didn't fare well in the highly salty/ clorinated air and was closed after only a couple years of operation.

Thanks Joz. I thought that the slides might have been relocated. I don't know if it is just the photo but it looks as if the broadwater is really close to the castle. Do you know if they extended the border of Sea World out into the broadwater or is it just the angle? I would think that this would be very unlikely but it appears the edge of the park in 1982 is what is currently the pathway down towards Dolphin Cove and Castaway Bay.

Themeparkgc your correct in the fact that yes the parks boarder was extended out into the broadwater which allowed for there to be the addition of the dedicated water park later down the track. But this didn't happen until after the flume ride was constructed. In order to access anything further down from those water slides at the castle you would have to catch a boat which was docked at a small boardwalk which was of a "L" shape joining the Dockside Tavern Restaurant and Customs House together which now days is used for the SSB gift shop and the carousel is whacked on the end of the building (Customs House). So SSB used to be filled with water and used to have the small dock and board walk. Quick little fact: Members of the first Ski team at Sea World back in the day used to stay in Customs House on short visits! You would then catch the boat from there underneath the london bridge (that ofcourse never happened until Cork was built) to the back of the park were Dolphin cove now is and there used to be a adventure "island" playground similar to the pirates lair at Disneyland. Now back on track! Those slides then later got relocated like Joz mentioned, followed by there removal and the removal of the mountain they would intwine around. To be later replaced by 2 other basic body slides then came Castaway Bay.

^ Well the broadwater is just becoming on big island, so I don't see why the couldn't! Hell in the next couple of years you might even be able to walk from Southport straight across it to SW. Looking at all those old photos its crazy to see how far the park has come and what it has transformed from, sad to see the ski show, what the park was based on gone now! It was a big tradition and big part of their history even arguably for Gold Coast history. The problem with land running out, I've always wanted to see them expand to the other side of the road and keep expanding and develop what is an eyesore on that side!!

Well they do look ugly, but also you only have to read in the paper that there is a lot of things that aren't so nice that happen over there and its not just the street races!

true that I also had a look at the monorail driver's control panel and I was wondering - is the same panel duplicated on the other side of the monorail? Or is it slightly different? What I would also like to know is when a driver takes their foot off the deadman switch does the whole train come to a complete stop or does it slowly brake?

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bring this topic back from the dead but an article looking back at Grundy's Entertainment Centre and Magic Mountain has recently been published in the Gold Coast Bulletin. Although there was no mention of Sea World in the article's text, these two photos were included.

post-2117-0-35090200-1385772375_thumb.jppost-2117-0-80714400-1385772380_thumb.jp

The first photo appears to be of a pirate-themed dolphin show. Does anyone have any more information about this?

it could be due to safty or a problem with the ride. E.g. what happen to BT

Both rides used the same system though, so it's unlikely.

According to the Parkz database, Lassiter's Lost Mine Ride was only open for 5 years. This made me wonder why Sea World would make such a significant investment only to convert it into another ride in 5 years?

BT turned out as a very good investment for the park, and BT used the same ride system, so they very likely lost little to no money out of the decision.

Edited by mba2012