SeaWorld's Past

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great photos! Pretty much all of them are new to me, and I must say I never realised that the park had Helicopters so early in it's history! Also of note for me is the picture of the Adventure Island ferry in the 4th pic down. Weird to see it without the canopy, I thought they always had them, learn something new everyday! Another thing I can't help but notice is how ambitious they were right from the get go; what is now the Sea Lion theater appears when there was pretty much a train ride and a Ski / Dolphin Show. Now just think, the Sea Lion theater can seat about 1800 people but that was built at a time when there were barely any attractions in the park, but even so it's capacity has (just about) kept up with the rest of the park as it's filled out into a proper theme park. It's still today one of the biggest theme park stadium's in Australia (Off the top of my head only Dolphin Cove, the Show stage and Ski Stadium are bigger), and is a great example just how visionary John and Keith were when they started the park.

The unmarked dial down the bottom is for speed, turn it all the way to the right and it's at top speed. Fun fact: the top speed on the back straight is faster than the rest of the track. On each monorail there are 8 motors, and the numbered display show how much power each one is drawing, they should all draw roughly the same and if one isn't, it could be an early sign that somethings wrong. The reading is zero for the displays because the train is parked, hence the motors aren't drawing any power.

Thank you for the answers. Have you been a monorail driver Joz or just done your research? Also side questions which doesnt warrant it's own thread, every time a ride departs the station on a coaster (any park) they ops always right down certain info on a checklist. What are they actually writing down? (I may have asked this before but just can't remember/find thread)

I've often wondered if that really is required (writing down in a log), seems like something only smaller time parks do. They certainly don't fill out a log every time a Space Mountain car leaves the station (no one could write that fast LOL).

Actually, on most rides - coasters and flats, operators record numbers to work out the throughput. I recall some parks have had competitions in the past to see who could get the best PPH on any given day. It isn't just "small" parks, but on bigger parks (or at least, bigger rides) they usually use a turnstyle or similar - in Hong Kong, Disney had turnstyles on Space Mountain, and Buzz Lightyear to record how many through the door, so i imagine something similar on those other large throughput attractions. I've seen some attractions with a "magic eye" infra red door counter, but those are really inaccurate if people walk past in groups. Ok Joz, here's a few from me - 1. There appears to be two switches on each side of the panel - it's hard to read, but i'm assuming they are the door controls for each side of the monorail (because i can make out OPEN and CLOSE), but why are there TWO switches for each side? 2. Why is there a key switch below the left hand door controls, but not the right? (and what is it for?) 3. Yellow light at the top right of the console - something to do with brakes? 4. Is there a dead-man switch? I'd have thought you'd want to have some sort of dead man on that kind of attraction? 5. There are two key switches on the top left - one is obviously a standard operation switch, whats the one above it for? On another side note while we're talking about PPH and writing down passenger numbers - in the wide angle shot of the console, there is a round chrome object to the right of the console near the microphone - that is known as a "clicker" or counter which you hold in your hand and push a lever with your thumb - oddly enough - to count how many people enter the train.

1. The driver's cabin doors is controlled separately to the guest doors. 2. Maintenance use only. 3. Indeed, brakes released indicator. Fairly self explanatory that one :) 4. There's a dead man foot pedal 5. The one above is a 'jog' key. Best way to describe it is it bypasses some small faults and allows the train to move even when there's a problem.

Thank you for the answers. Have you been a monorail driver Joz or just done your research?
In a former life I dabbled as a monorail driver. :)

Someone (probably Gazza) posted a youtube video a while ago of a coaster that had a rollover switch for dueling stations... can't find it for the life of me. A quick google brings up many sites that describe how expedition everest works, but to try and put it simply: imagine the one "spine" of the track. On the top is a set of rails (or in the monorail's case - A rail) that goes in one configuration - eg completing the circuit. On the UNDERSIDE of the spine is another set of rails that "starts" in the same place as the one on top (to receive the train), but along the length of the spine, it curves in another direction. When the switch is used, the entire spine rotates 180 degrees to change the direction of the track. does that make sense?

• 2 months later...
Cheers Joz, how about the maintenance trackswitch? It doesn't look like the pieces match at the right angle to be a normal switch. Anyone got a video?
Don't say I never do anything for you :) Got this photo while doing the last Parks Update, which I think explains the whole thing: post-6-1278689603_thumb.jpg Basically the curved bit of track rotates into position and the main track rotates out the other side. Thanks Joz!

Don't say I never do anything for you :)
HEY! I SAID A VIDEO!!!!! :P Thanks very much for that, much appreciated. Lol, it's been ages since I've been to a park (jan/feb) I really need to get back there again soon. I was thinking movieworld, but that involves another $100 pass. I still have a valid platnium pass but I really want to go to MW lol Edited by reanimated35