Sea World 2010 (Castaway Bay & Antarctic Penguins)

The only reason I ask is I read this on seaworld web site. Visit Sea World this September and experience a world of family fun in the all new Castaway Bay interactive adventure zone. The exciting new $6 Million family attraction will cater for kids of all ages and feature an amazing themed ride and fun filled child friendly play areas. The kids will love the splashtacular Battle Boats ride with over 80 awesome water cannons. The little ones can climb, crawl and clamber their way through The Sky Fortress featuring five fun filled levels of rope bridges, tunnels and much more. And for the dare devils, the Sky Climb* will test bravery and balance on a thrilling course 12 metres above the ground. Sea World’s Castaway Bay will be an adventure for the whole family. *Pay as you play attraction Rider Requirements: Battle Boats - Guests less than 120cm must be accompanied by an adult who is 14 years or older. Sky Fortress - Guests must not exceed the maximum weight restriction of 130kgs. Sky Climb - Minimum height requirement is 120cm. Guests between 120cm and 140cm must be accompanied by an adult who is 14 years or older. Guests must not exceed the maximum weight restriction of 130kgs. Safety restrictions prohibit guests with certain medical conditions from entering. Please check signage at the entrance to the queue area Then I noticed the *

Edited by skeetafly

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd imagine the ropes course is up-charge because of its throughput, basically. If it were free there would be no way for it to keep up with the sheer number of people wanting to go on it because of the complexities of harnessing people up, saftey demos, the fact some people will edge through slowly etc.

Edited by Gazza

Oh man, they actually themed the monorail support to look like a tiki statue :D
^ I friggin love that!! Maybe this marks a return to Village focusing on decent theming for their attractions. Again, it might have been nice to see some more themed elements in the middle of the ride and I definitely don't like hearing they've added those plain white sails around the place. BUT still overall the new area looks pretty darn good and is a big step up from some of their recent efforts

I visited quickly today, have 78 Seaworld photos up on flickr, blog post incoming. EDIT

I arrived at the park at 4:20ish to a disillusioned ticket booth lady, she was cutting up A4 copy’s of the show times (they must have ran out). As she scanned my pass I asked if the new movie Happy Feet had opened yet, she stared at me blankly, I said “The new movie replacing Ocean Rescue”… She them looked at me solemnly, as if she was informing me of a passed loved one and said, we dont have a movie here… I said thanks, dont worry about it and was on my way .
http://gcguy.net/2010/09/19/seaworld-casta...-report-191009/ Edited by Jordan M

I also thought the little themed shelters were great, but then they go and put that plain white shade sail over some of the guns. Grr...
I definitely don't like hearing they've added those plain white sails around the place
Sails? In a pirate themed area? Blasphemy? :P In all seriousness, they look fine in reality. Especially the one here since it is attached to ship masts http://www.flickr.com/photos/gcjordanm/5003763541/ All legit IMO Also, some of them have had little extra patches sewn on to them, so its all good. The area really does look gorgeous, so many nice details, lush plantings etc. But Battle Boats really will get you saturated, and you need to cover right down to your feet. I thought it could get away with a garbage bag over my torso, but by about halfway through the course my pants and shoes were 100% waterlogged. As I suspected, the big patch of open water is pretty much unnoticeable on the ride and at ground level. Edited by Gazza

^The sea mine can actually be hit by bystanders on the adjacent gun station, so you can have a bit of fun with that. The buoy I'm not sure was working as intended, when you hit the target on that one it just made some bubbles come up underneath (like a spa) but it didn't actually any water to be thrown up to wet you more.

^ It's strange. About a week ago every almost every bus stop here on the Gold Coast was fitted out with at least one WVTP advertisement for their attractions. However the advertised attractions were launched in 2008 - Kamikaze, Jet Rescue and Hollywood Stunt Driver. As for television advertising, I haven't seen any commercials. I think Gazza said in the early stages of construction of the AquaLoops that they should milk them for all their worth: "Can you do the loop?"... was it? Back to Castaway Bay, the Nine Gold Coast News report last Friday briefly mentioned the area with a quick look from a helicopter of a few kids running around Sky Fortress. The story also featured footage from inside the parks for the AquaLoops and TOTII so why not Castaway Bay? Despite saying all of this I would be pleasantly surprised if they pumped adverts for all of their attractions a little later in the year when MW's Christmas event is on as well as other attractions open: Zip line, FlowRider and Antarctic Penguins.

Their marketing strategy at the moment appears to be pushing the company "VIP Pass", I am still seeing a massive amount of "VIP" pass commercials being pushed out across the various television markets in QLD, NSW and Victoria. Maybe they see more value in pushing the VIP passes for as long as they can before they start pushing the new attractions? The VIP spots I have seen don't really make any mention of any of the new attractions as of yet. I expect to start seeing new attraction adverts for the Christmas period, but your guess is as good as mine.

I noticed the land mine effect in one of the videos - looks fantastic! I love little touches like that. I have to say I would have been a big fan of this ride when I was a kid. It's a really decent addition to the park. I agree with the comments above though - they need to advertise it! It's the same with the lack of advertising we saw for Jet Rescue. Both fantastic attractions which are getting very minimal promotion. They need to stop focusing on just the VIP pass in my opnion

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
SANTA'S delivery to Sea World this Christmas is going to be extra special. penguins-sea-world.jpg All the way from Antarctica, Saint Nick is bringing 12 penguins -- six King and six Gentoo -- which are the second and third largest penguin breeds respectively. The big birds will be the first of about 40 to arrive on the Gold Coast as part of Sea World's new Penguin Encounter exhibit, which opens on December 26. Media today got a sneak peak at the $15 million penguin enclosure, minus the birds, which is in its final stages. Trevor Long, Sea World's director of marine sciences, said the theme park's newest additions would be 'right at home' in the state-of-the-art enclosure. ''What we're doing is bringing a real slice of Antarctica to the Gold Coast,'' Mr Long said. ''We have worked to mimic the Antarctic environment in the enclosure and I have no doubt the birds will enjoy it.''