Sea World 2010 (Castaway Bay & Antarctic Penguins)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ You want more rides? Go to Movie World/Dreamworld. Sea World is a marine park! I am interested in seeing how the final product looks. When I was there in October it was a squarish looking building. Hopefully they will do some themeing on the outside to look like an iceberg or something. Either way if Polar Bear shores and Shark Bay are anything to go by it will be a great addition and one I will check out when opened. Wouldn't mind doing Castaway Bay again on a warmer day (and without shoes!).

Construction is well underway on Artic Penguin Display, they are also advertising for

SENIOR KEEPER/SUPERVISOR (Full Time) AND BIRD KEEPERS (Full Time & Casual) Sea World’s Marine Sciences Division has an exciting opportunity to work with King and Gentoo Penguins at the new state of the art Antarctic Penguin facility set to open on 26 December.
Photos can be found over at my Flickr, on another note the very well themed castaway bay has suffered it's first "loss" The "Targets" are no longer well themed, but actually are Target logo that looks horrible See here. They needed to make it more obvious they are targets ect. but why not a sign in the que line instead?

Sea World have some additional summer entertainment lined up:

TAKE YOUR NEXT VISIT TO SEA WORLD TO THE EXTREME Letting loose this summer is Sea World's awesome new Jet Stunt Extreme featuring some of the world's best jet ski stunt performers. The visually spectacular show will run for a limited season only, 16 December to 23 January 2011, and is sure to wow the holiday crowds. Jet Stunt Extreme will blow your mind with totally cool aerial flips and jumps during a high energy live performance twice each day at Sea World's Ski Lake. The show will include some dynamic Jet Stunt sequences as well as land based action and will star some of the industry's top competitors. Direct from the UK, 19 year old Lee Stone is widely recognised as one of the single greatest freestyle riders the world has ever seen. With three European Titles, three British titles and four World Titles under his belt, it's no wonder Jet Skier Magazine call him 'The most exciting young talent in the world of freestyle.' Joining Lee on the Sea World Ski Lake will be Jon Cooke, Former X Games Gold Medal Winner and first Australian Flat Water Freestyle Champion. Jon is known in the region as Australia's premier freestyler.

• 2 weeks later...

Where's whitsy? I wonder if he's still complaining. Here's a Gold Coast Bulletin article about the jet skis. Interesting bit is Sea World could consider keeping it as a permanent show.

Sea World's jet-powered summer thrills GOLD Coast theme park Sea World has replaced its traditional water-ski show with a gravity defying jet-ski stunt show to wow summer crowds. The high-energy Sea World show features four young riders, including freestyle champion Lee Stone and two local boys Jon Cooke and Cayle Beauchamp. The riders carve up the water in their stand-up jet-skis performing backflips, somersaults and leaps. At the tender age of 19, Lee is the star of the show with five freestyle championships under his belt. Lee said he loved performing for a crowd. ''It's just a buzz to be out there doing what I love and knowing people are enjoying it,'' he said. The Jet Stunt Extreme Show will be on in the Sea World lake twice daily from December 16 until January 23. A Sea World spokeswoman said a permanent show would be considered if the summer trial went well.

The $12 million Penguin Encounter will open on Boxing Day with 6 king and 6 gentoo penguins. The article, 40 photos and a video are available here.

SEA World's 12 newest residents are settling into their Antarctic-like home as the theme park gets set to open its new Penguin Encounter attraction on Boxing Day. The six king penguins and six gentoo penguins arrived from New Zealand two weeks ago and have spent that time getting familiar with their new $12 million display, which is kept at a constant temperature of -1 degrees. Sea World can also make up to three tonnes of snow a day to help replicate Antarctica and keeps the water in the display at a constant 5 degrees. Director of marine sciences Trevor Long said the penguin display would also aim to teach guests about the perils of climate change, saying penguins would be one of the first species affected as the earth warms. ''Sea World is very much about conservation, and these penguins are an ambassador for climate change and conservation of that Antarctic and sub-Antarctic environment,'' he said. ''They were a perfect choice for our future and to provide our guests with that real rounded marine animal sea theme.'' Penguin Encounter will open on Boxing Day and guests will be able to view the penguins as they swim from the underwater viewing deck as well as on the snow from the second deck above the display. Mr Long said the display was so life-like, even the lighting was designed to replicate Antarctic months, providing 20 hours of lighting a day in summer and only about six hours of light during winter.

• 1 month later...

So I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but SkyFortress is closed, completely fenced off, and the major entrances boarded up. There is a boom lift inside the attraction's perimeter, and workmen are walking all around the tunnels etc. I have just checked, and it does not appear on the attraction maintenance page. It would seem that the park is compensating for this by offering the SkyClimb free of charge, if you have suitable footwear. I will say I wasn't particularly interested in SkyFortress, so having the opportunity to use SkyClimb free of charge is a plus, and good on sea-world management for offering the upcharge for free while another such attraction is offline. SkyClimb is a good attempt at a ropes course, considering most people who go to the park aren't expecting vigorous intensive excercise (Adventure Parc at Mt Tambourine or Currumbin is much more suitable), but I wouldn't necessarily pay to use it - and definately not more than once. Those planning a trip to the park may want to put it off though - February and March sees almost all major attractions down for maintenance at some point. (Excluding the beach).

Is that the whole of Sky Fortress or just the McDonalds style playground part. If it is just part of it, it might have been closed since the middle of last month. When I was there they had all of it open in the morning but in the afternoon they had closed the playground half and had maintenance workers in it. The bridges section was open with access via the old water slide ramp (although one particular style of bridge closed off completely).