Theme park prices staying low

I am guessing this means attendance and spending is still down at Dreamworld during this last quarter of the financial year. I was puzzled at first as to why they would allow unlimited entry until December considering they will be launching the refurbished ToT in September and should gain a natural boost in attendance from this. I then noticed that the tix can only be purchased up until 17th July - so we may find that there are no more major discounts released around the period when the ToT campaign begins (and hopefully another new major ride - although I'm starting to doubt this)

I don't think attendance/spending patterns will have a lot to do with it other than recognising that they lost out bigtime to WVTP over the past year or so. To me it's about remaining competitive, and also recognising that in milking tourists for everything they can, they've been increasingly pricing themselves out of the local market. The end date of July 17 does seem to be a logical tie-in with any promotional activities they have planned for TOT. The idea of ending the passes on December 24 is great, and not a repeat of the downright stupid decision WVTP made last year to repeal the blockout dates during the peak period. As themeparkgc suggested, the significance of the image was simply the "staying put" pun.

I saw the following "renewal" offer for the VIP pass today. newqldvip.jpg So it looks like the new VIP pass is $99 and comes with $10 WVTP giftcard or $299 for 4 people/passes. Valid through till the end of June 2011 and I didn't see any blackout dates, this poster/offer had a August 31st expiry.

Edited by Jordan M

• 2 weeks later...

$69 for 2 parks for 6 months? $99 for 3 parks for a whole year? Sorry but I just think that's crazy and ridiculously cheap! Considering a year or 2 ago you would have to pay much more than $69 to enter DW and WWW for only one day and now you get them both unlimited for 6 months for less money. I really don't think this is good for the parks. I understand that overseas parks offer discounts and season passes but the reality is our parks are now significantly less profitable. It's not like attendance is increasing to make up for the discounted prices. Essentially the parks are making less money and will therefore probably spend less on new rides. I just can't understand why there is a need for such discounting when our economy didn't even go into recession!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest garrymodes

I do not think that the frequency patterns of consumption have a lot to do with it other than to acknowledge that they lost bigtime WVTP during the past year or both. I think it is about staying competitive, and also recognizes that milking all the tourists were never price themselves out of the local market. The expiry date of July 17 does not seem logical tie-in all promotional activities are planned.

The sad thing is that Ardent/Dreamworld still don't appear to have learnt their lesson. They might be matching Village's prices but their marketing does not appear to be keeping up. A lot of people have heard about the Village $99 offer but not about DW/WWW's counter offer. Living in NSW I always get a fair idea of when Dreamworld is breaking through to the wider Australian general public with their marketing campaigns. As I have said before, the last time this occurred was when they added the Claw. They played the very-effective commercials on TV in Sydney quite a lot and I remember people I was working with at the time talking about the ride and wanting to go to Dreamworld. Over the last few weeks 3 different people I know have mentioned the Village parks $99 pass to me. My friend visited the GC recently and bought the Village offer for himself and his nephew/niece. He mentioned the '4 new slides' going into WnW as an added incentive to buy the passes (whereas as far as he was aware there was nothing being added at Dreamworld - and he hadn't heard about DW's discounts anyway). 2 others have said similar things to me and I also noticed a Jetstar print ad in the free Sydney commuter paper today with reference to Village's $99 pass. Nobody has mentioned Dreamworld