Andy's Gold Coast TR Part 1

Andy_q69

Yes, this is Andrew's TR. Read on if you must, since this is going to take a lot of typing.. Day One I woke up at around 8am, all hyped up because we were going to the Gold Coast, but the bad thing about it, we were travelling by car. IMO it wasn't that bad, but I would've prefered trip by plane. So then I took my shower, had a somewhat big breakfast (bacon, eggs, sausages, hash browns mmmmm), and packed some more of my bag, we then went to pack the car up with all our luggage. After half an hour waiting for our friends in the other car to arrive (Names: Sherrie, Steve, Andrew and Heather), we were all set to go. We drove off with our super speedy U R A BUS (Subaru) B4, just until 5 hours later, and after about 3 stops at various places, we were at Coffs Harbour. We arrived at our motel for the overnight sleep, The Caribbean. The main reason my mum and Sherrie chose this motel, is because of the nice pool in the picture, but surprisingly so, the pool was at least 5 metres long by 4 metres wide. At least no one was seen swimming in it all day, but that could just be because of the dreadful weather we were experiencing (rain at the time). Once we all brang our clothes and that upstairs to our rooms, we went for a nice leisurely walk down the beach. Walking past all the giant stones on the coastline, dead crabs, rats, and a trapped Wobbegong shark in a rockpool, we then climbed some hill that looked like a pile of dirt from far away. It was famous for its birds (forgot the name) that burrowed in the hills. But anyways, after this long, boring walk, we went back to the motel, fixed up our clothes a bit and that, and waited for Sherrie's friend, Cathy, who was coming with us to the Gold Coast, and then went out and dined at some restaurant themed as the Australian Outback. After the dinner, we made our way to the little carnival that is held in Coffs. They had the Hurricane, Breakdance, A kiddie's coaster, Taipan and much much more. I was bored, so I got 5 tokens for $5 to ride Taipan. Andrew and I boarded the train, went up the chain lift, turned the corner, went down a drop with a little airtime, turned another corner, down another drop, lots of helixes, following by a wacko bit of track, then some more helixes, and some more wacko track, then the brakes, and then the station. First coaster of the trip, but wasn't really worth $5, more like $2. But it was still enjoyable. After Taipan my sister, Allyson and Heather went on Breakdance. It was quite boring, but I enjoyed myself at Coffs. Right after the carnival, we went back home, watched some TV, and I watched the Taipan from my balcony, then we went to bed.. Zzzzzzz Day Two Woke up, had a shower, brushed teeth, and packed and left the motel at around 10am. Another one of those boring days.. 5 hours of driving, and "Pizza by the Pool" with the other dancing girls. We stopped at Mcdonalds for breakfast, just in time for the last serve of breakfast they were doing. So after that, we made our way to the car and drove north. On the way my Mum spotted this place called "Crystal Castle". So of course, we had to make a stop over there. The place was very well hidden from the public, as you have to take a 10 minute drive through the mountains winding and weaving your way there. Once we got there, we spent about an hour (due to wondering away shopping mothers) there. I wondered off with my sister for some reason, and we came into a room full of crystals and creams. One shelf full of marijuana flavoured cream, and my sister smelt it and it went all over her nose. Haha she smelt like marijuana. My mum and dad smelt her and she thought she smoked it but I explained. Anyhow, I ordered a chicken burger about 10 stories high, which took forever to eat. Right after Crystal Castle, we drove back.. Hoping to get to Surfers Paradise sometime soon. After passing the many memories of last years trip (The bent over tree, "The Rock" Restaurant, The Taree guy, and many more stuff, we eventually reached Surfers Paradise. Intimidated from the many hotels, and new ones since last year, we found our hotel named the Aegean, and we came in and got our key. We drove down to the basement to park the cars, and lifted out some luggage. We went up to our room, looked at the nice ocean views, our great views from our bedrooms, the pool, tennis court, and spas, etc down below. We looked at the time, it was 5:30, and we had two hours til we go down to the pool. What was there to do? Mainly nothing, but Heather and I watched TV and checked Sherrie & Steve's appartment. Practically the same, although they had a 3 bedroom unit. After the boringest 2 hours passed, we all went down by the pool. I met my good old friends Aleesha and Kristy and we played a bit of knock and run (the keys go to every floor! :D ). Trying to hide the secret from Aleesha about her birthday cake, Aleesha kept wondering why we acting so weirdly (She was turning 13 today). After we ate out pizza, had a few drinks of coke, had some socializing, etc, we sang happy birthday to Aleesha with her birthday cake. She went all embarrassed. It was coming to about 9pm now, and we all broke up and went back to our units. Andrew and I played the X Box (He brang it lol) a bit then we went to bed at around 11 ready for the day tomorrow... WB Movie World! Part 2 sometime later..

GREAT TR so far Andy! I still reckon you should've went up by plane though.. then again, it's always handy to have the car! 12 hours in the car.. no way dude. Freak. Can't wait for part 2! Off-topic: Finally got a decent internet connection on the laptop up at my holiday house, took hours to figure out how though. The past few days have been full of water-skiing (I finally got up on one ski!!), but the common afternoon storms have interrupted a lot of the skiing sessions. Liam

I think you did the right thing by going by car. I don't care how safe plane travel is compared to going by car, but I hate flying. Something not fundamentally right about being 11km up & hurtling through the stratosphere at 900km/h. Doesn't matter how much you hate the family, going by car is the way to go. Plus as Flea said, much better to have a car then rely on the Gold Coast busses. Looking forward to reading the next chapter Andy! Off topic as well: How good is that feeling of getting up on one ski!? It took me ages to get up on one ski. Since I kept crashing when I was first started (and injuring myself in more ways then one can imagine) I found letting go just before that moment where you know you're about to crash made it less painful. After about an hour of doing that someone said "Why don't you just hang on?" and I got up no worries. You going to try a bit of Sky Ski/Air Chair action next Flea? ;)

I think that a physics teacher I had summed it up best, when a 747 was flying overhead, with the comment "They shouldn't be able to do that!". You know a Boeing 747 weighs 350 tonnes at takeoff! Hey, I flew eight times on my most recent travels, and though it's incredibly teadious, I find it pretty fun. I mean, you can get some killer airtime in good turbulence. :) Now, travelling with a family, by far I'd prefer the plane. But I know we found if we ditched our mum, who thankfully never enjoyed skiing (that's snow, this time), we could have a blast. If you take the coast road to Sydney or Melbourne, there's also some killer scenery (but then again, I find the central route down quite attractive, where there's nothing but Briggalow trees and dead grass anywhere). You're took it slow too, which makes it a little more monotonous. Brisbane to Sydney is always day one for us, so it's fairly easy. Looking forward to hearing more, particularly of the parks. :)EDIT: Just had to fix up some stupid mistakes - last time I checked a plain was a flat thing somewhere out west.

.... and if you would like some killer (not literally. Well not often anyway) airtime when your flying, I'd recommend Air New Zealand, Air United and Easy Jet. Singapore Airlines really disappointed me with how little air time they provide. Actually, I like Singapore Airlines, the only airline I've flown with in recent times where the pilots didn't have some form of Parkinson's Disease.

I know going by plane would've been better, and more quicker, but I love going by car for some reason. I could live a whole day in the car. To waste time, all there is, is one word... SLEEP. I love to sleep in cars, and it was mad because it was raining sometime in the trip, so it made me go to sleep easier. BTW, on the way back home we took the whole trip back without stopping at Coffs. It wasn't that bad, but I was really looking forward to getting home, and just driving past the old Wonderland got me excited for some reason. {[(Edit)]} - BTW, Part 2 is up for reading if you wish..