Theme park theming and ride discussion

rappa

I Think both Sydney and Melbourne could support large theme parks, People may not neccisarily come just for the parks, but seeing a large park may encourage people to come not just for the park, but for a whole holiday. Melbourne has a few "Adventure" parks around and they are usualy pretty busy whenever you visit, so why couldnt they support a big one, It would be really popular. One thing that suprises me is our lack of waterparks. All our capital cities should have one (Exept for Hobart because its too cold and darwin because its not big enough ant its too far away) And we are a nation of swimers and sun lovers and everybody likes going on waterslides, plus you could get a park with 20 or so slides up and running for under $10 000 000 so i wonder why no one has entered into this fairly untapped market.

Firstly: I work in Tourism and I have to add that allot of overseas people visit Wonderland and the Wildlife Park during their stay in Sydney. APT and AAT Kings have regular Tour Groups out to Wonderland and out to the Blue Mountains. Its a set Tour Package where thet do the whole bundle.But I know that people dont just come to Sydney to see Wonderland. And now concerning the Overseas Parks. Have we forgotten our European ThemeParks?? I'v been to a majorit of the parks there, Six Flags Holland (Old Wallibi Flevo), WBMV Madrid, Disneyland..etc In general Six Flags Holland was a really nice park. The people are really friendly (taking in most dutch people are friendly). And a great majority of rides. Scenery is also great. WBMV Madrid. Same "look" as our Aussie one. Just allot more rides. In Ratanga Junction, South Afirca they have a great way of making the que time feel shortened. The scenery and surroundings they use are Amazing! At the River Rapids Ride (Crocodile Gorge). The que goes through a Crocodile compound with real crocs. The que line for the Cobra Roller Coaster takes you through a long tunnel with real snakes for you to have a look at. Pretty smart concept. Maybe if they applied it to some overcrowding Theme Parks in the USA they wouldnt have that problem of long que Lines..... Screammachine

Actually, I think it's interesting what you've brought up with the animal exhibits in the queue. This is something that Busch Gardens Tampa has been doing, and I think it's a tremendous idea. My favourite would have to be in the queue for Congo River Rapids, where they have a monkey exhibit. There's nothing more interesting to watch than small monkeys go about their everyday business, and I was a bit annoyed that there was no queue for this ride, because I couldn't stop and watch for longer. :)

There is no doubt in my mind that Wonderland is doing really well in terms of visitor numbers. It seems they can do anything and still draw a crowd. The wildlife park is constantly filled with asian (and other) tourists. There is not a day that goes by without large numbers of tour groups. The theme park itself still draws in loads of families over the holiday periods and then there's the massive amount of school groups that visit for weeks before xmas. I would find it very hard to believe that Wonderland is not making a lot of money... they are just taking every last cent and not putting anything back in. In terms of the theme park I'm sure the Malaysian owners would have been very happy with the Marvel contract... it allows the park to advertise the association heavily which appeals hugely to a lot of people. The best part for them is they have been able to do it on the absolute cheap. No new themed area, no new rides. Just a couple of costumed characters standing around. It's been an absolute minimum expenditure for them but it has still managed to pull in thousands and thousands of families and kids who want to meet spiderman and the others. So in summary... I hope the park HAS been sold (although I highly doubt it). It might be good for a new company to come in and shake things up a bit. With Sunway owning the park the chances of a new attraction or major capital investment are incredibly slim. Just look at their own Sunway Lagoon park in Malaysia... it hasn't had any significant new attraction since it opened years and years ago. That is obviously their theme park policy

This is in concern with Andy's Q. Yes you can just watch the snakes if you want to. The tunnel of snakes are in the start of the que. So If your not a Thrill Seeker and only watch the snakes you can go back. Also they added another exhibet in the que line. They have lizzards now aswell in the open bush. And I mean BIG MOMMA'S. The que line is sort of the cage and the Lizzards are all around you. Quite Interesting.. Screammachine Pic 1: The entrance with the Snakes in the cave. Pic 2: Prepair to enter the Lizzard Enclosure. PS: This Park has the BEST Theme-ing I have EVER seen in any Theme Park!!! :D

Granted, all I've seen of DisneySea are photos (rabid's) and models (Disney-MGM has some fantasticly detailed Imagineering scale models in their Walt Disney tribute walk-through), but it's easily the crème de la crème of Disney, which really puts it at number one in the world. You might want to check out rabid's cool pics over at Westcoaster (I was just looking to refresh myself, so I might as well share it). I've pretty well decided that my next theme park voyage will be centering around Disney parks, with Japan, Florida (probably not California, but it depends on money of course) and France being the main locations. Walt Disney World turned me into a Disney fanatic (the sort that now has several hard-cover books on topics as detailed as the architecture of Disney theme parks), and in all honesty, it's just a lot more interesting than seeking out what Walt would call "cheap thrills". Of course I'm still a fan of the big rides (otherwise I wouldn't be spending money on this site, or time and money developing an entirely new site), but it's just not the same. Don't get me wrong, you're fully entitle to your opinion, and Ratanga Junction looks like a seriously sweet park, based on what you've posted and what you've put on RCDB. Each to their own, and I know there are more than a few people that aren't too fond of Disney theming. I think I'm going to split this theming sub-topic we've got going here. Let's not kid anyone - no one in this thread for the last several replies has had Wonderland at all on their minds. :D

Richard, Interesting reply mate. But having travelled around the boondocks USA recently there are still people out there that save and save for this big LA or Florida trip. And they still drive there replete with as many family members as they can pack into the Winnebago. I would have thought that the *once in a lifetime* thing would have been a thing of the past with cheap flights too, but many Americans (and it's becoming even more popular) want to do the big road trip thing. Particularly mid westerners! And even more increasingly the hispanic population. But to those who suggest Sydney needs a major water park? What a load of bollocks. Why would you build a major water park in a city that is surrounded by water and excellent calm and surf beaches? (And I grew up in QLD so I loathe Sydney beaches as being crowded.) And please no-one give me the *build and they will come* scenario. What happened to Sega World? An absolute prime position in one of Sydney's most touristy areas yet they had huge trouble getting people in. The Darling Harbour authority had an opportunity to step in and offer incentives for them to stay but even they were not going to support a lame duck like that. As I have said before if there is money to be had then things will be built. If there isn't then they won't. The NSW government surreptiously approached various different organisations to build a major theme park at Olympic Park to keep people coming into the area so it wouldn't become a white elephant. Do you think they achieved that? No, not even with a heap of freebies. What has happened to Fox Studios? The only time I bother to go there is for Mardi Gras parties. LOL Sydney would never be a destination of choice for a theme park experience whilst there are so many competing attractions. Each unique and far more *once in a lifetime* experience than seeing a replica theme park that international visitors could see at home. Which is probably why WLS has so many international visitors to it's animal park. When you think about it Taronga is a much finer destination if you want to see native wildlife. Oh so! Take care guys. MB