Old Theme Park Ads

joz

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I must admit... I wept a little watching the Dreamworld 1988 ad. Brought back so many memories as a little kid getting my first ride on Thunderbolt, the policeman checking my "license" on the Model T Fords, the barbershop quartet signing in Rivertown, the minecart... Those were the days. When we were too young to care about costs, companies, record breaking rides. We felt like we were walking right into a land that could only be created in our dreams. I had the old MW souvenir video that had a hidden message which you had to pause the tape at the right times throughout to piece it together. A friend and I also taped a whole Police Academy Stunt Show back in 2000 from two different sections of the audience and pieced it together. Wish I could find it and convert it to dvd.

Edited by Wyncenuros

I must admit... I wept a little watching the Dreamworld 1988 ad. Brought back so many memories as a little kid getting my first ride on Thunderbolt, the policeman checking my "license" on the Model T Fords, the barbershop quartet signing in Rivertown, the minecart... Those were the days. When we were too young to care about costs, companies, record breaking rides. We felt like we were walking right into a land that could only be created in our dreams.

You summed that up nicely. There are so many memories that come back from watching these ads. I really wish going to one of these parks still had that feeling. The parks have taken away this magic by introducing the cheap annual passes so we conintually go and have maketed themselves acordingly to this. Take away the 'Magic' of a whole day and add a 'Thrill' that lasts for 20-30 secs. I will never forget the first time walking into Disneyland and it taking me back to my child hood memories of when I was a child at dreamworld.

It's kinda strange to consider that in 1997 when Dreamworld built the world's tallest and fastest ride, the park's other two coasters were a custom mouse and a Meisho looper, not exactly the sort of park you'd expect to build such an ambitious ride.

Wasn't that because the park was sold to a more ambitious owner?

Wow, Dreamworld sure knew how to make a crappy Meisho looping coaster sound appealing!

Looking back at it, other than the 2 loops it was not much at all. In saying that though it was the first rollercoaster I even went on and sadly my wife was too small to go on it before it was closed and later removed. I think it's time to get back to RCT3 and re-ride it utilizing dads movie projector.

I must admit... I wept a little watching the Dreamworld 1988 ad. Brought back so many memories as a little kid getting my first ride on Thunderbolt, the policeman checking my "license" on the Model T Fords, the barbershop quartet signing in Rivertown, the minecart... Those were the days. When we were too young to care about costs, companies, record breaking rides. We felt like we were walking right into a land that could only be created in our dreams. I had the old MW souvenir video that had a hidden message which you had to pause the tape at the right times throughout to piece it together. A friend and I also taped a whole Police Academy Stunt Show back in 2000 from two different sections of the audience and pieced it together. Wish I could find it and convert it to dvd.

I was curious what sort of technology is used to convert VHS to DVD so I did a google, and it looks like you can get it done in Brisbane at this place: http://www.filmcopycentre.com/VHS-To-DVD-(2-For-1-Offer).html Better get'er converted. ;)

I was curious what sort of technology is used to convert VHS to DVD so I did a google, and it looks like you can get it done in Brisbane at this place: http://www.filmcopyc...r-1-Offer).html Better get'er converted. ;)

Yeah conversion services are pure ripoffs, they use hardware and software than anyone can get for $50 at most and charge you $100+ per DVD.

Yeah conversion services are pure ripoffs, they use hardware and software than anyone can get for $50 at most and charge you $100+ per DVD.

We just plug the vhs into our computer use a screen capture program and then burn to dvd. Very simple process to do at home. As I said though, can't find the old vhs as it was before I moved out of my parents place many years ago. They have since moved and whether or not they kept the particular tape I don't know.