WS abusing Marvel contract

GoGoBoy

This leads on from what I was saying in another thread. It is something that really bugs me so I need to do a bit more venting. Basically I think it is such a shame that Wonderland managed to score the Marvel contract. I don't know a single theme park in the world that has the rights to a group of world renowned characters and has not incorporated them into the park in the form of rides or themed areas. It is totally disgraceful that Wonderland is benefiting by advertising the Marvel characters without so much as even a proper Marvel stage show (not that we ideally want a show). Spiderman and the rest of the characters are now so heavily incorporated into Wonderland's branding... on TV, on the website, on billboards and on their new park map (the entire front cover has all of the characters bursting out of it). But when you get into the park all you get is a few costumed characters. That is it. I really don't think that should be acceptable. I just wish a park like Dreamworld had scored the contract instead. Imagine the great stuff they would probably have done with it by now. Wonderland is going to milk this cost effective promotional opportunity for as long as possible. One thought I had is that maybe Wonderland IS planning on building a new themed area and/or attraction themed to Marvel over the next year (highly unlikely). But if this is the case I don't know what else they would be able to do with the marketing for the new attraction. The characters have already been so heavily pushed. I imagine that through Wonderland's advertising most people are fooled into believing that there is already a new Marvel attraction. So if something new finally does come out it will be kind of like the boy who cried wolf. They even used a great name like 'Super Hero Headquarters' just for a section in their RETAIL shop. There goes the themed area idea! The sad thing is that the Aussie public doesn't seem to mind too much. The people just keep rolling in... otherwise Wonderland would do something about it. Perhaps the families are happy just to meet a costumed character? It would seem that way. Kids are so obsessed with Spiderman that they will accept anything. I personally don't think it's good enough. Come on people, it's time to raise the standards!

The sad thing is that the Aussie public doesn't seem to mind too much. The people just keep rolling in... otherwise Wonderland would do something about it. Perhaps the families are happy just to meet a costumed character? It would seem that way. Kids are so obsessed with Spiderman that they will accept anything. I personally don't think it's good enough. Come on people, it's time to raise the standards!
Funny you say that. We flew back in from Cairns the other day, and while we were waiting to get our lugguage there was this girl walking around with the Incredible Hulk and Spiderman, handing out 25% discount tickets. The funny thing was as she approached the kids with their "super heroes" the kids ran away screaming!! Not one child wanted to go near them. The parents wanted to take a photo of their little darlings standing next to there super heroes, but the little kiddies didnt want to know a thing about it!. I think they were frightened of them! It was really good entertainment whilst wating for our luggage to come through. ;)

Well, don't forget had the rights for Nick characters long before Nick Central. Can't remember the details, but I do seem to recall a "Rugrats in Paris" promotion at Dreamworld at the same time as a Blues Clues attraction a year or two before Nick Central opened. Even SW had Nick characters for a brief period (About 3 weeks if memory serves correctly) before Cartoon Beach. To expect a big attraction straight away is probably asking a bit much, as the park will probably want to get a feel for how popular the characters are. Having said that I do think something (and something major) should have been done by now. Goboi is spot on with his comments (again. Ever considered working in theme park management?) about Wonderland abusing the contract. Attracting people to a mediocre product isn't going to inspire them to come back for more when they eventually build something.

Extremely well said GoBoi. I've seen a lot of kids almost pee themselves when they see Spiderman, Electra etc. - and to be honest, the costumes aren't that great either (particularly the Hulk one). I think it is worth noting that Spiderman is advertised more than any other Marvel character. It seems that he is on the website more and appears more in the televesion ads. Not to mention the huge painting of the Spiderman head on the ceiling of the "echo area" in the main plaza (Super Hero Headquarters), or the "Spiderman wall" just to the right of the Transylvania sign. Could all this extra Spiderman advertising actually mean something for once? Liam

No, I don't think it does mean anything Flea. They use Spiderman because he would definitely be the most popular. If there was a new attraction coming they would (or should) release the Spiderman branding at the TIME the attraction opens... not months before. As I said before, they are just milking this cheap opportunity. The return they would get on this for the minimal amount they have spent would be massive. Also, regarding what you guys were saying about kids being scared of the characters. I have been to WS a few times and watched the interaction between the kids and characters and overall the kids absolutely LOVE them. In particular Spiderman. They are obsessed, trust me. The younger kids sometimes seem to be a bit scared but they probably come round at the end of the day. The costumes may not look great but the parents and kids don't seem to mind. I think it is probably the main reason a lot of families are visiting now. The parents love to see their kids with the superheroes and the kids love being around them. It's a win-win for Wonderland, unfortunately

I think it is sad reallly. Many people would disagree with me I am sure but with Wonderland having to rebound back to the public with characters and bla bla bla instead of other methods. Back when Wonderland introduced a new ride every year, i doubt they would have needed the help of the Hanna cartoons to attract. I know it is a risk, and they have financial problems (if) but if they did introduce new rides every year, eventually wouldnt they have the money rolling back (dont quote me on that though). I mean something as large as Space Probe, which was the first freefall in the world. Here is an idea, longshot but wouldnt a petition big enough attract the attention for a new theme park say from Six Flags. Think of the massive rides, compared to our crap, they could build with the current state of the AUS dollar. Thats my opinion....

Maybe when Im older I should start a consortium to build a big park, I had a go at calculating the cost and it came in at around $300 000 000. (It was a big park with around 6 coasters) It would be pretty viable because if its there, people will go. I cant imagine people just having a big park in their city and not going to it. Back on topic, I think wonderland could do a bit more with the marvel contract, even a couple of flats with names like "Spideys web spinner" or "Incredible hulk rage" would be ok. that would give them more of an exuse to rhapsodise about it. I wonder why people would pay $50 to see costumed characters at a park when you can see them free at a shopping center. I would go if there were new rides and stuff. Also , wonderland might have to pull something out of the hat soon with luna park opening, but then again, thats just crazy talk on my part.

Maybe when Im older I should start a consortium to build a big park, I had a go at calculating the cost and it came in at around  $300 000 000. (It was a big park with around 6 coasters) It would be pretty viable because if its there, people will go. I cant imagine people just having a big park in their city and not going to it. Back on topic, I think wonderland could do a bit more with the marvel contract, even a couple of flats with names like "Spideys web spinner" or "Incredible hulk rage" would be ok. that would give them more of an exuse to rhapsodise about it. I wonder why people would pay $50 to see costumed characters  at a park when you can see them free at a shopping center. I would go if there were new rides and stuff. Also , wonderland might have to pull something out of the hat soon with luna park opening, but then again, thats just crazy talk on my part.
Yeah $50 is a bit steep for wonderland there got like 4 major rides. I was there today (free tickets) and i seen a spider man dude, and the guy dressed up was so skiny, you think that they would get someone with at least some mucsles to look like spider man. anyway

Maybe when Im older I should start a consortium to build a big park, I had a go at calculating the cost and it came in at around  $300 000 000. (It was a big park with around 6 coasters) It would be pretty viable because if its there, people will go. I cant imagine people just having a big park in their city and not going to it. Back on topic, I think wonderland could do a bit more with the marvel contract, even a couple of flats with names like "Spideys web spinner" or "Incredible hulk rage" would be ok. that would give them more of an exuse to rhapsodise about it. I wonder why people would pay $50 to see costumed characters  at a park when you can see them free at a shopping center. I would go if there were new rides and stuff. Also , wonderland might have to pull something out of the hat soon with luna park opening, but then again, thats just crazy talk on my part.
Yeah $50 is a bit steep for wonderland there got like 4 major rides. I was there today (free tickets) and i seen a spider man dude, and the guy dressed up was so skiny, you think that they would get someone with at least some mucsles to look like spider man. anyway