Shrek Leaving...

mattcrombie

So I heard that Shrek is ending its Licence with Movieworld as its costing the park $1million a year to lease the attraction from DreamWorks®... Wether or not this is true or not, I'm not 100%... It will be taken down at the end of August & there looking at Journey to the centre of the earth possibly... Can anyone else confirm this info? B)

Edited by mattcrombie

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it would be sad to see such a well themed attraction leave, but a replacement is needed soon, as nothing about the experience changes, and it's set after the first movie... there's 3 others since then! It would be a shame to lose it - especially as the 4th movie only just came out recently. Journey sounds like a good one. I'd like to see something like Mickey's Philharmagic though - that one is incredible!

Given that this is obviously info you've heard as a rumor either through you pseudo employment at the parks or from someone else that works there do you honestly think ANYONE who actually knows if it is true or not is going to confirm or deny for you here? It's amazing after all these years you still have a job, I doubt anyone else is willing to risk theirs.

I am not hating this particular rumour specifically nut it annoys me to know end when employees abuse their employment conditions and happily post inside information not for public consumption. This includes people who tell other who then proceed to release it to the public domain. What is worse is that most people do it to 'look cool' to other readers. It only serves to close off information sources in the future.

Yea, no one will actually know for sure, until its actually happening. I hope I got wrong what I heard 5yrs ago or they were wrong or the company re-news the lease, because I think the show is so awesome and a lot of fun... I think all we can do is just wait and see whats happening for the next few months... But to actually throw a spanner in the works, I just remembered, WVTP have been pretty open to what they're doing this year... and nothing like this was even mentioned for MW so I highly doubt seeing anything like this happen.

Oh I blimming hope so, it's so boring and the "waiting room" smells. Something like the Pepsi Max Motion Master they have/had? at Rainbows End would be great? :D I'd axe that horrid stunt driver show first, it gave me such a bad headache and my whole group thought it was so boring.

Sorry for double posting.. I think Journey to the Center of the earth would be cool, but not on main street. I say that it needs to stay an attraction where movie premieres can be seen. I am hoping for a Superstars Live in Concert type theatrical production. Set out like Show Base in Tokyo Disneyland (but undercover). The building itself cant get too much higher, because of the roof, and can't go too far back because the food and beverage office and wardrobe Dept. are right behind it... Maybe moving the entrance across and using the pre- show area as a themed que and move the stage area a little back to take up the area where the entrance is now. Your thoughts?

I am suprised that after Movie Magic went the way of the Dodo that they didn't install automatic doors in the Roxy. This has been on the theatre's wish list for years and surely they have plenty spare now? If it wasn't for cost I would also love to see the seating raised inside rather than the terrible flat floor forum style way it has always been. Dress the interior up and give it that classic Hollywood premier Theatre look! I don't understand why others are making a big deal if this information is true and leaked? No-one other than enthusiasts on this site are really going to care and if word did get out that MW was indeed considering a new attraction then surely this is potentially good word of mouth press? Not sure about the Theme though.. I wonder would this be something to do with that terrible Brendan Fraser film? I hope not. Shrek 3D is a classic attraction and just as good as many other world class 3D shows. When you consider the Theatre's near 20 year life, Adventures in the 4th Dimension ran for the 1st 7 years, Marvin the Martian's debut into the world of CG3D brought a new wall to wall screen and a few theatre FX, also running for 7 years and Shrek's motion theatre seats and many more theatre fx have kept park goers happy for the past 5 years. I hope the equipment currently used in the Theatre isn't part of the current lease and disappears along with this great show.. Sooner or later it will be a shame to see it go but these shows always have their life spans

I don't understand why others are making a big deal if this information is true and leaked? No-one other than enthusiasts on this site are really going to care and if word did get out that MW was indeed considering a new attraction then surely this is potentially good word of mouth press?
If it is true, and it is leaked, this means that WVTP did not want it to be known (hence the term 'leaked'). This sort of information gets shared internally, but until the park is ready to announce it's plans, any 'leaks' spoil the fanfare. If the park finds out where the leak is coming from, and shuts it down, or if they DON'T find where the leak is, and shut down ALL advance notice to those "in the know" it makes life a lot harder to find out other things in future. And no, it isn't good word of mouth press. All we have at this stage is an unfounded rumor saying the park is losing what has been a good capacity, well anchored attraction, and at this stage, nothing is known about any potential replacement. It may be replaced with something substandard, for all we know, and we wouldn't want to see that happen, and yet until we know\see what it will be replaced with, the rumors will fly which will only serve to sling mud at the park for decisions they haven't announced yet. Most PR departments will say any publicity is good publicity, but if you're not ready to announce your plans, leaks make handling the PR a nightmare.q

I hope the equipment currently used in the Theatre isn't part of the current lease and disappears along with this great show..
I'm guessing the equipment (well at least the seating) will remain. I think they were built by the Gold Coast company FX Illusions (those responsible for Police Academy, Maverick, Surf Rider, Superman Escape). Galleries of their work can be found here. Assuming this attraction did come with a 5 year license, you would have to assume that Movie Park Germany would be under the same license. Their attraction opened in May of 2004 and is still operating to this day (6 years, 2 months). If the lease was for 5 years hopefully Movie World will resign like Movie Park did.

Hey i said this a month ago it is going to happen. they will be replacing this with another 4D movie with a new projector the old 4D projecter will be moved to WnW for there screen so WnW can show 4D movies and normal ones. This new attraction will be well themed in and out side, there is rumours that they will be showing maybe about 3-4 differnt movies during out the day... and also that it is been mention the rumours are that Journey to the Center of the earth will be the main theme.

Edited by Randy23

I really think we're getting to the stage where Randy just needs to be ignored. Like Nightshifter, but without a sense of humor. I'd like to see them achieve a 4d experience in the wave pool actually... but I think they might need to content themselves with 3D, considering unlike Shreak and the old theatrette at Sea World, theres no dark room to hide all the special effects in. And yes, Randy did say this about a month ago, then admit he was lying, and chances are the rumor has flown full circle since then and been believed by others, who now state it as fact... who knows? Wouldn't be the first time, however I do think Shrek's time is up - I just hope, since they haven't announced it like they announced everything else for this year, that they don't just stop showing the film one day, and close the roxy until they're ready to develop a new attraction...

AlexB "I really think we're getting to the stage where Randy just needs to be ignored. Like Nightshifter, but without a sense of humor." Rob who said i put it in a sence of humour way? and about the special effects at WnW there will be none it is only for 4D movies with out special effects. If you get me.

Edited by Randy23

Shrek 4D Adventure™ in the Roxy Theatre will be closed permanently from 30 August to make way for an exciting new 4D experience.
So that one is confirmed. You know, as good as the Shrek attraction was, it's time has well and truly come. While some will see the replacement as a downgrade, the reality is that the Shrek thing is pretty much over, and since it was so reliant on pop culture all along it really hasn't aged well. Bring on a new film I say! As for 3D at the wave pool... God no, what a horrible idea. Glasses distribution and clean up, for an effect that is really just a gimmick? Projector upgrade at WnW isn't a bad thing, but to make it 3D? No thanks. The Oxenford parks have been doing good things of late, this IMHO would not be one. Edited by joz