Movieworld Expansion

Looking at new attractions for this year we have the following: Sea World - Castaway Bay & Penguins Movie World - Shrek 4D Replacement? Wet'n'Wild - Aqualoops White Water World - Wedgie Dreamworld - Illuminate & ToT II Going by that list it seems that all the parks have something new this year. They might not all be opening at the end of the year but it gives those that were open earlier time to find anything that needs improving before the peak season. Back on topic I find it interesting that they're considering doing something like this. Motorsport theme has got me wondering if it is really enough of a draw crowd to get people in or it will be like the V8's at Dreamworld and only really there for those interested in it.

So I am just wondering if the car did not need replacing what would Dreamworld be doing this year.
Could be anything! Changes like what's hapenning to the Tower of Terror dont happen overnight though. As has been a request on this forum and others - it is essential to make sure what you have is continually working it's best and looking great, I agree. So the Tower of Terror II is a big step in this direction and a good place to start, 'me thinks'!

Could be anything! Changes like what's hapenning to the Tower of Terror dont happen overnight though. As has been a request on this forum and others - it is essential to make sure what you have is continually working it's best and looking great, I agree. So the Tower of Terror II is a big step in this direction and a good place to start, 'me thinks'!
It’s good to see Dreamworld is maintaining this ride. I am just hoping Dreamworld is not dipping into the new attraction budget instead of using the maintenance budget. You would agree it would be a shame if Dreamworld dipped into the gum leaf budget to maintain the wipeout. I like the idea of Movieworld having and extra entertainment area. I think this area would run only at night thou. I don’t know many hoops G.C.C.C. will make them jump through first before anything goes ahead.

• 1 year later...

I do believe it might still go ahead but at a later date as they have a lot of rides to replace and repair at the moment so when both looney tunes river ride and batman ride are finished I'm quessing around December 2013 this might be brought to the table the only issue for them would be will it work. I would love a new go kart track if the prices are good but how many people that come to movieworld etc would pay for it

This isn't related to the topic very much but why can't they just close down the studios and join up wet'n'wild, Paradise country and movie world with new attractions and make the area they are on one big theme park. Keep the studios as they would be good as an attraction or themed land. You could have this new park as a themed area in the new mega park.

I do believe it might still go ahead but at a later date as they have a lot of rides to replace and repair at the moment so when both looney tunes river ride and batman ride are finished I'm quessing around December 2013 this might be brought to the table the only issue for them would be will it work. I would love a new go kart track if the prices are good but how many people that come to movieworld etc would pay for it

The major thing that would work with go-kart tracks and the like is that if they install lights on the track, then it would function well as an 'after hours' venue, similar to the eastern creek go kart track. The parks close at 5 (WnW later in summer) but this would give people something to do afterwards, instead of immediately departing the precinct for other night-time attractions. The track would also do well to absorb the AOS market - those arriving early for the show could enjoy a few laps of the track first... as well as those AOS visitors who had been at the parks during the day. I like the idea, and the proposed location would fill a gap for VRTP.

This isn't related to the topic very much but why can't they just close down the studios and join up wet'n'wild, Paradise country and movie world with new attractions and make the area they are on one big theme park. Keep the studios as they would be good as an attraction or themed land. You could have this new park as a themed area in the new mega park.

As said above - the studios make money. Ok - not universal backlot kind of money, but sound stages are needed constantly. Many filmmakers have chosen to film in australia because of the generous tax concessions and grants by government. The studios aren't going anywhere (although the current aussie dollar would be hurting that a bit)

I like the idea, I think everyday at 5pm when the guests leave, Village is kissing goodbye to a good chunk of money, and something to make money during the evenings is a no brainer to me. I also like the idea of making the entire property one that you explore on foot; the area surrounding the parks isn't pleasant, but if you can make it a pleasant (albeit long) walk between the parks I think it would improve the guest experience immensely. Having said that; I think there are a few things they can get better.

It's a shame that with the layout of the land they can't make it like Universal Orlando, where guests (for both parks) have to walk through it to get to their park of choice. Not without having a multistory car park for both parks where the water stage is anyway, and that would cost mega$$$. But for all the issues with the lay of the land I do think having a road (and a potentially busy road at that) running straight through the middle of the town square does seem like a bit of a silly move. I'm guessing the idea is to get people to see it when they arrive at Movie World, but I don't think it's been well thought out, and particularly during Xmas and Halloween I think there's huge potential for disaster.

Also a worry is that this also comes at the expense of parking, which is already in short supply I think is a recipe for disaster. I shudder to think what it will be like getting a park on a Summer's day when Wet 'n' Wild and Movie World both have around 10,000 guests, AOS has 2 shows and the new proposal is up and swinging.

I'm quietly hopeful that if it proves a success, they'll rethink the number of go kart tracks (are the two closest to the restaurants really needed?) and add a couple of bars and maybe even a nightclub and make this somewhere that locals will go after dark, and somewhere the tourists can linger when they've finished dinner. Don't forget that there's also AOS in this, that place brings in between 800/1000 most nights, how will this proposal capitalise on that? I don't think they're going to want to ride go karts, nor do I think they'll want to eat at a restaurant (they get fed at the show), but a bar? Yeah I can picture a hundred or so people kicking on at a pub for sure.

I think if you can make a compelling nights entertainment in the area, make it a destination that you can traverse on foot, the next question is where does the hotel go? Because I think the area would be perfect for one. Also, before anyone says I'm being overly critical, I'm very pleased that Village is attempting to have a strategic vision and develop it's land, rather than being short sighted and selling off the excess.

Edited by joz

Well that was submitted 2 years ago. I am not sure how long these things normaly take but it would be something really great added to the parks. I town hub like city walk at universal or something like that. I am not sure about putting heaps of rides outside the park though. Interesting to see if this or anything like this will take off. They re abviously thinking about it.

• 1 month later...

The Monorail in Sydney is being closed down: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-23/last-stop3a-sydney27s-monorail-to-be-scrapped/3908166 could Village possibly buy it and have a connection between MW and WnW so people could hop between the parks like DW/WWW, where they previously did not have the option and not have to walk/drive if they wanted to do so? Or is it past its use by date/too hard? Or could they at least buy the trains and use them at SW, at least the Sydney trains are air-conditioned or once again are the trains too old/too hard?

The rolling stock was at the end of its useful life in Sydney anyway, hence part of the decision to scrap it. I dont think it would be a cost effective option for park hopping anyway. It would cost several million to transport trains and build new track. Compare this to the cost of a couple of low floor buses at $400k each, looping all day.

Edited by Gazza