Movieworld Expansion

A MOTORSPORT-themed extension to Movie World, featuring five themed restaurants, a games arcade, plus dragster and go-kart themed rides is in the planning stages with the Gold Coast City Council asking for more details. In committee today, councillors rejected Warner Bros. Movie World's initial application because it was 'scant on detail'. But the committee also recommended that the full Council urge the developer to lodge more detailed plans, chairman Cr Ted Shepherd said. Have your say on the feedback form below ''And we would give an undertaking that the application would be considered quickly. We are aware of their desire to have the attraction opened as soon as possible,'' said Cr Shepherd. Under the proposal, Movie World would expand its operations to take in a new village square, five themed restaurants, a games arcade, dragster and go-kart themed rides and a ticket booth in a self-contained precinct between the existing park and the M1. From www.goldcoast.com.au

Right, I had to wrap my head around this for a bit... still don't know if I've got it! Its almost a new park completely separate from MW but in the spare land they have in their carpark!! Because if this was a add on to MW I would think what a stupid idea... its Motorsport where is that movie related! But basically its just an adrenaline park sort of style like some parks in America have next to them like at CedarPoint! If thats what their talking about then it sounds like it could be a good idea. But whats with MW loving cars lately stunt driver, now this? Then again what about all Aussie parks because up the road DW seems to be in love with motorsport as well! Another thing they'll need to sort out their carpark... because on a busy people use that grassy area, where they want to build as another overflow carpark, when the overflow carpark is full, then with this addition, they will to do something... two levels? Maybe? Now all they need is a hotel, and entertainment precinct and they've got themselves set up very nicely like a Universal Resort or the set up at CedarPoint!! Although they are running out of room!

I think this would be the area in question: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sou...mp;t=h&z=19

yuk! no way go-carts!!!!!!!!!!! what the hell are they thinking?
In all honesty, what is the problem? It's on the other side of the car park and not even included as part of MW....How is it any different to the way Outback Spectacular and WnW are currently next to MW? Thats one key thing people should get out their heads right now....It's not 'part' of Movie World, so it shouldn't be considered as such...It's just an attraction unto itself that is taking up some spare land.
Another thing they'll need to sort out their carpark... because on a busy people use that grassy area, where they want to build as another overflow carpark, when the overflow carpark is full, then with this addition, they will to do something... two levels? Maybe?
Well, my preferred solution....More people using public transport to get to the park through more frequent services :) No need to spend money on car park extensions and upkeep then. And something partially related. Terra Mitica in Spain did something similar....They just took a bay of the car park and plopped in some Go Karts: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?oe=utf-8&am...=18&iwloc=A Edited by Gazza

^ 5 motorsport themed restaurants, not go-kart themed. I like this idea. What I'm envisioning it to be at the moment is something similar to Downtown Disney. If only it were possible to add in a hotel somewhere in the vicinity - connect Wet n Wild, Movie World, AoS and this new area with a monorail/tram and it's starting to become a Disney-esque holiday destination. Wishful thinking I know but it's good to dream.

Edited by Flea

Mini golf yes....Permanent traveling rides...NO! This is WVTP we're taking about, not Luna Park.

connect Wet n Wild, Movie World, AoS and this new area with a monorail/tram and it's starting to become a Disney-esque holiday destination. Wishful thinking I know but it's good to dream.
This is my wishful thinking, but at the moment the Gold Coast Light Rail system is starting construction and will eventually make it as far as Helensvale. I'd look at a future extension that comes from there, crosses the MW, then follows Entertainment road with stops at Studio Village West, Wet n Wild, Movie World, and then continuing north through Oxenford and Upper Coomera, using the current power line corridor as an alignment (And further in the future, swinging east to terminate at Coomera Town Center/Station) Edited by Gazza

It's also something a little closer to the highway for the WOW factor - kind of like what you get when you pass WWW - right up there and IN YOUR FACE. The traditional parks - DW and MW are set so far back from the road that they don't have the same impact... this would aid in their curb appeal.

yuk! no way go-carts!!!!!!!!!!! what the hell are they thinking?
sounds pretty fun but its a bit of a strange location, hope it happens though
What a difference 4 hours makes...:P As for the Light Rail, stage 1 will go from Griffith Uni to Broadbeach. Griffith to Helensvale is a possible future plan at this stage along with Broadbeach to Burleigh - neither of which are confirmed yet. With stage 1 due for completion in 2014, I doubt we'd see either of the future plans finished until probably 2018 (if they go ahead) when the Commonwealth Games could be hosted here. Any links with the theme parks would be after that so at least 10 years.

yeh but 5 themed restaurants for go carting?? not folowing
I agree. I think this idea is pretty awful - and why on earth would you need 5 themed restaurants at a motor sport park? Weird. I would also like to see the Gold Coast parks lose their obsession with motor sport and move on to something more interesting and imaginative

Under the proposal, Movie World would expand its operations to take in a new village square, five themed restaurants, a games arcade, dragster and go-kart themed rides and a ticket booth in a self-contained precinct
The way I'm reading this is that there would be a village square (So a mini Downtown Disney/Universal Citywalk I guess), with themed restaurants (Not necessarily motor themed), With the go karts etc adjoining this.

I might be reading this wrong, but it really doesn't sound like a 'park' to me, rather an entertainment complex, and I think when you look at it in that context then it makes perfect sense. While the motor-sport theme is a bit mystifying, (perhaps it's just the go-karts that are motor-sport themed?) it's really a few restaurants, anchored by an arcade and a couple up-charge attractions. Sounds like a slightly more upmarket adrenaline park for locals. Also I don't know how we decided that it was being built on the overflow car-park, but I hope that's not true. Surely it'd be better to turn the overflow car-park into a multi level car-park, and have all these new offerings between the car-park and Movieworld to guarantee some foot traffic. It all sounds like it could potentially be really good, but I think the 2 things missing is a cinema (and come on, Village is in the cinema business) and a hotel. While they're adding things to it, maybe they could put bungee trampolines there and not in Movieworld. Just saying.

and a hotel.
Oooh, that reminds me of something I discovered the other day (Was browsing the site of a practice a mate works for) Some 3rd party has considered a Hollywood Themed hotel on the same road MW is on, pretty much immediately south of WnWs boundary http://www.leitharchitects.com.au/01_cms/details.asp?ID=384 Upon further searching, it had been in the paper 2 years ago. http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/0...-top-story.html Man, can't believe WnW used to have a BP and a HJs next door, why get rid of them? Edited by Gazza

Also I don't know how we decided that it was being built on the overflow car-park
in a self-contained precinct between the existing park and the M1.
It doesn't leave much room if it wasn't in the overflow. I like your ideas though joz. A little bit more specific information was in the paper today:
[...] It would have three go-kart tracks, one drag racing track, paths to Movie World and Outback Spectacular, five motorsport themed restaurants, rides and a games arcade. There will be rides revolving around a 'racing' or 'motorsports' theme, as well as V8 dragster races. The park's buildings and landscaping will fit in with the racing and motorsports theme. [...]

I heard this on the radio this morning, they said it was cancelled.
Must've been denied then. Personally if it was charged entry I wouldn't think it would be worth it- 7 RESTAURANTS. COME ON. Not to mention most likely upcharge go-karts and an arcade... well okay so I love arcades, but I hope they don't just go and slap a bunch of run-down crap games in there, and I also hope that they don't make %90 of the games those motorcycle ones (if they did go ahead with this).

I personally would like to see a rainforest cafe if they build restaurants (downtown disney style http://www.rainforestcafe.com). That's just where I could hang out, get some good gum leaves and then climb a tree and get a little sleep as well! Though this wouldnt be motor racing themed so it wouldnt fit. I wonder what the go karting places (Lemans/Kingston Park) are thinking??

Edited by joz
Link fixed

I wonder what Dreamworld are thinking. With all the other parks on the coast getting new attractions and Dreamworld just maintaining a ride. Superman Escape (tower of terror sister ride) is also replacing their cars at the moment. So I am just wondering if the car did not need replacing what would Dreamworld be doing this year.