Sydney Gets a Water Park!

Brad2912

From the Daily Telegraph Website NSW Premier Kristina Keneally is attending the announcement of a new $80 million water theme park being built in Sydney's west. Village Roadshow Theme Parks, which has charge of the attraction on a 25ha site near the M4 at Reservoir Road in Prospect, says it will attract 900,000 visitors a year and create 300 jobs. It expects the attraction will open in 2013. Ms Keneally was expected to give more details at a press conference later today

Chances are its probably a very similar plan as to what Wet'n'Wild Aussie World was going to be before they canned it. Another article with a few angry people...

Water theme park planned for Sydney The ABC understands the New South Wales Government is set to lease land in Sydney's west for a new $80 million theme park. The Government first put the 25-hectare site in Prospect to tender five years ago. The ABC understands that after lengthy negotiations the lease has been bought by Village Roadshow. The company will spend about $80 million to build a new Wet 'n Wild theme park between the M4 and the Prospect Reservoir. Amusement parks have a checkered history in Sydney, where many have become insolvent. Among them Australia's Wonderland which was forced to shut down six years ago. NSW Premier Kristina Keneally is due to sign an agreement to lease the land later today. The deal is news to local councillor and former Bankstown mayor Leo Kelly, who says the site was considered for a possible Disney amusement park five years ago. He says that idea sparked concerns about the impact on nearby historical sites and he fears the opposition will be reignited. "That involved a trigger for all hell to break loose," he said. "The local people around there weren't consulted, the historical society wasn't consulted and of course again the council was never consulted. "I think there will be a lot of questions asked about who's really running the show."
Edited by themeparkgc

Double post. http://www.wetnwildsydney.com.au/ (Probably no point in downloading the image gallery zip, its just stock photos of existing WnW attractions) This map pretty much shows the extents of the site: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sou...mp;t=h&z=18 So 5.75km east of Wonderland. -The park will only run September to April. -$5.2 Mil to be spent on road upgrades around the park, paid for by VRTP. We have Turbo Tunnels...My water slide dreams have come true! post-88-1284183770_thumb.jpg And an overall plan for the park: post-88-1284183892_thumb.jpg So in terms of rides we have. -Family Raft Slides -Water Play Structure -Lazy River -Wave Pool -Pair of Aqualoops, with the loops interlocking like a pretzel. -Racing Master Blasters -Tornado & Family Raft slide at one end of the park -Boomerango & 'Python' Mega Tube slide at other end of the park. -Big inner tube complex,with regular, enclosed, bowl, topsy turvy (multiple mini tornados in a row) and drop slides. -Octopus Racer -Spas GoGoBoy...what do you reckon ;) A couple of things I'm loving about the plans is that the Lazy River is placed to be central to the parks future expansions, so it will end up being the centrepiece of the park in the end. Also, notice how the main buildings are in a hub at the centre of the park, and this is all disconnected from the main ticketing operation. In the GC water parks all the shops, cafes etc are clustered around the entrance, but this seems smarter because it's more central to everyone. Hmmm, notice how the plans have a VIP covered parking lot, a normal one, and an overflow one? Different charges perhaps.

Edited by Gazza

Haha, just looking deeper at the plans, I'm fairy certain Proslide will have zero involvement. There was a slide labeled Abysss, and it appeared to be a tornado, so I assumed it was a mislabeling. But nope, Whitewater West have ripped off the design lol: http://www.whitewaterwest.com/cgi/page.cgi...5&zine=show http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2010/08/...into-abyss.html

While the Abyss is somewhat similar to other slide styles, it does feature several differences in design. Taller side walls allow rafts to reach even higher, and a tighter entry to the funnel keeps speed and creates more oscillations. The funnel's shape is also technically more of a triangle than a circle, with flat sections on the sides and top. The Abyss is not available for sale in the United States or Canada.
Pic: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cVF2LlOx6Zc/THWY...yss_Hanwha2.jpg Edited by Gazza

i can definately see my fuel bill rocketing over summer and my car doing a few trips a month up and down the F3 when this opens! its a great location and judging by the plans is going to have some awesome attractions. I do like that there are a few in there that no one else in Australia has. i also like that they have planned for future development. good to see someone trying to make a move in sydney, and who knows, this may encourage more parks!

Honestly, it's a SYDNEY water park, something I thought would NEVER happen down there! And hey, it looks almost as good as, or even almost better than WWW already! Especially with those 2 Aqualoops which would be there from the beginning. That would give Australia, what, 6 of the world's 9 aqualoops??? BUT, I don't like the look of this from Dreamworld's perspective. VRTP opening a new park, getting more money and being able to upgrade all the other parks even further! :S It's going to get hard!

And hey, it looks almost as good as, or even almost better than WWW already!
Almost as good? This place has got everything WWW has, plus a crapload more. WWW is beaten.
BUT, I don't like the look of this from Dreamworld's perspective. VRTP opening a new park, getting more money and being able to upgrade all the other parks even further! :S It's going to get hard!
Ardent Leisure could quite easily go and enter into a market not yet served, such as Melbourne and Adelaide (And before anyone goes and makes some comment about the climate, remember that Canada and the northern parts of the US have outdoor water parks that get snowed on in the winter, yet operate over the summer) Edited by Gazza

awesommmeee im like 10 mins down the road haha, its sad how wonderland was just down the road =[ now all they need is a non water park ajacent lol haha jamberoo can now no longer boast to be the largest park in nsw bahaha >_< theyre probably going to go bust haha so far away

GoGoBoy...what do you reckon ;)
I'm very happy, thanks for asking! I really think this is great news. It certainly sounds like it has more chance of going ahead compared to many of the other announcements over the years. I personally think this will be a big success attendance wise. Sydney's population is booming and growing every year and people are crying out for an attraction like this. All of the young families that live in the west would probably be enough to sustain this thing alone but in all likelihood this park is going to be decent enough to appeal to people from all over Sydney and beyond. The attraction line-up is top notch. What more could you ask for?

The attraction line-up is top notch. What more could you ask for?
Well.....I would love a brand spanking fully themed jam packed traditional amusement park that would sit smack bang next to Wet and Wild Sydney...... Seriously though this is a fantastic announcement and one that is long over due for Sydney. Hopefully it will be a major success , the planning and the attractions list look to be extremely top notch. I just hope that it all comes to fruition!! If succesful , this could also lead to more major investment in the area and Village Roadshow may just build a sister theme park adjacent to Wet and Wild, thereby neatly capturing the Sydney and NSW market in one swoop!! Lets hope that this could eventuate!! Fingers crossed!! Great news though!! Cannot wait! Cheers :) Jobe

I would love a brand spanking fully themed jam packed traditional amusement park that would sit smack bang next to Wet and Wild Sydney.....
Like a Dreamworld Sydney? :P They could so do it, and eventually grow and have a dreamworld park in every state. But they wouldn't have to all be called dreamworld, call them different places, a whole nation full of worlds! NEVER HAD SO MUCH FUN IN SO MANY PLACES!

Like a Dreamworld Sydney? :P They could so do it, and eventually grow and have a dreamworld park in every state. But they wouldn't have to all be called dreamworld, call them different places, a whole nation full of worlds! NEVER HAD SO MUCH FUN IN SO MANY PLACES!
1. This thread is about Wet N Wild Sydney, go dream elsewhere :P. 2. I dont see Dreamworld/Ardent expanding the Dreamworld brand outside of the Gold Coast anytime soon. I also have just done a blog post on this with some more of the concept images from the media pack, rides list taken from Gazza, but credited :)
QUOTE And hey, it looks almost as good as, or even almost better than WWW already! Almost as good? This place has got everything WWW has, plus a crapload more. WWW is beaten.
Agreed, I am sure some would disagree.. But I see WWW more as a addition to Dreamworld than a stand alone park. Until has has some more expansion/rides. I can go through all the rides before midday generally at WWW even if slightly busy. Edited by Jordan M

I was just thinking its a bit strange that the most sucessful themepark etc company in australia has decided to throw a water park in western sydney when there is already jamberoo in nsw?? Why not a traditional theme park first?.. what sydney really needs! Then I thought, I bet Village Roadshow has just quickly put the plans in etc for a waterpark first so jamberoo doesnt have time to up the ante. Like if it was plans for a normal theme park, jamberoo would see some form of competition but not direct competition, so they would have time to compete with VR, knowing that they may build a waterark after..(seeing WVTP history of multiple parks in same vicinity). Does that make sense?? If this was a deliberate ploy to drive jamberoo out, thats pretty clever. To be honest , no one saw this water park coming!! Im pretty sure that was all because of jamberoo. ;) Anyway, I think jamberoo will be freaking out! Lets hope they can compete together so we dont get one park having the monopoly and doing whatever they want with poor quality.

I reckon they just went with a water park because they are cheaper to build and run and need less land, and hence less of a risk. This will cost $80 mil, compared to say $300 mil (The proposed budget for African Safari World) I'm also going to say that they went with a water park because they are good at running them! There's also less risk in terms of selling the concept to the public...Theme parks can sometimes be a bit hit and miss if the public isn't taken by the theme/concept (Eg Sega World) Water parks...you just go down slides and get wet and have fun, nothing out there about that! I don't think Jamberoo will have factored into their decision. That place is too far out of the way to really be as sucessful as a park in the Sydney proper, and doesn't have anywhere the population in the immediate radius that WnWS (First use of abbreviation?) will have. To me it doesn't seem like WVTPs style to go into a market with the aim of shutting a competitor down...If anything they would have gone the way of their two US water parks and Aussie World, and just bought the place out if they saw potential.

so jamberoo doesnt have time to up the ante.
Jamberoo would have plenty of time, their plans have been drawn up for years, they just need to go and order the slides!

Actually... I dont think jamberoo is that much of a threat .. they probably just looked at how much money they had to spend.. and what would bring in enough profit to expand it maybe later to a traditional themepark without much outlay for employees, maintenence etc. But I dont think $80M wouldnt make a very good traditional themepark so sydney got a water park. I dont know.. just my thoughts lol :blush: