Village Roadshow expands into Sydney market

Parkz News

Third time lucky ! Great to see Village Roadshow expanding the Wet'n'Wild brand in the domestic market and USA. What city will get the next Wet'n'Wild ? I hope they will also purchase Rainbows End in Auckland, New Zealand or build a Wet'n'Wild here as we only have 1 theme park in the whole country and a smart operator like Village Roadshow would make some serious money.

I am very excited and happy that Village Roadshow will be building a Wet 'n' Wild park at Prospect. I have been pushing various companies to build such a park in this particular area for a while now. This is fantastic news ! We need this type of entertainment in our area especially since Wonderland and the Waterworks closed down. Thank you Premier Keneally, you are doing really well on this fun park idea and other things and you will get my vote and she's cute, if I was a bit older and she was single, but anyway.. I can't wait for the Wet 'n' Wild in Prospect, please start building it ASAP. Hopefully it might even have a rollercoaster or two. Thumbs Up!

• 1 month later...

From Village Roadshow Limited annual report 2010. p. 3. In September 2010 VRL also announced it had signed a conditional agreement with the New South Wales Government to build and operate VRL's fourth West 'n Wild water park at Prospect in Western Sydney. Subject to finance and various planning approvals, Wet 'n Wild Sydney is expected to open during the summer of 2013/14, with VRL investing approximately $80 million in this world class venue. Catering for all ages the park will include Australia's largest man-made beach and wave pool, duelling water coasters, a variety of both teen and family oriented water slides and a toddler pool with interactive water play zone. ... (then a bit of stuff on water management to placate the greenies). The key here are the words "conditional agreement" and "subject to... various planning approvals". After the disaster of the aborted VRL theme park at Werribee in Victoria, VRL has been scared off dealings with state governments in Australia who are prone to changing their minds depending on how aggressive lobby groups and greenies are, even after a contract has been signed. Sorry to disappoint RaverGuy, but the NSW government were about as ditsy on this issue as the Victorians were. Keneally certainly didn't lure Wet and Wild to NSW, rather VRL had to push very hard to be allowed to build it by reminding her that it would be about the only big construction project in the basket case economy that is Sydney's west. VRL already operate a few tourist attractions in NSW, namely Sydney and Manly Aquariums, Sydney Wildlife World, Sydney Tower Observatory and Skywalk. They are already in NZ too Brendan. A couple of years ago their aquariums division bought Kelly Tarlton's Antarctic Encounter and Underwater World in Auckland.