Worst Experience EVER

aidan

I haven't been on this website for years but this warranted my quick return. Last week I went to Wet'n'wild to ride the Aqualoop and I couldn't believe it. I couldn't get over the fact that they made you go shirtless, then proceeded to weigh you. I'm not obese in the slightest but I am self concious and this made me feel like crap for the rest of the day. The next bad experience was when I climbed into the trap door capsule, I had one ride operater take over on my slide. He had never done it before and another operater was showing him how to use it, she pointed to a few buttons then left. If that didn't put me off enough the slide itself ripped up my back and arm, I came out of it with friends and I was crouched over with pain. They looked at me in shock and I went 'what? I had blood going down my back and arm. I'm never going on this slide again.

^Agreed. For everyone else out there that is perhaps less sensitive, this really is an awesome water slide.
Gazza, you haven't changed a bit. Maybe I had a one off bad experience but I assure you that when I rode it was not smooth for me. @Intamin, I know they weigh everyone, I wasn't blindfolded walking through the queue, I just don't understand why they'd have to weigh everyone even if they look physically fine to ride. Edited by aidan

Did you visit first aid?
I didn't bother because a storm hit after I rode it, closing down the rides so I went home. I'm not sending pictures of my back. If you don't believe me I don't care, why would I come on here and lie? Edited by aidan

I just don't understand why they'd have to weigh everyone even if they look physically fine to ride.
For the exact reason you pointed out. If they weigh everyone then there is no discrimination. If they only weight people that 'look to be overweight' then they would be offending people very easily and opening themselves up to serious discrimination cases. As for your back, I don't believe for a second that you got the 'big gash with blood pouring out' kind of injury you are attempting to imply here.

For the exact reason you pointed out. If they weigh everyone then there is no discrimination. If they only weight people that 'look to be overweight' then they would be offending people very easily and opening themselves up to serious discrimination cases. As for your back, I don't believe for a second that you got the 'big gash with blood pouring out' kind of injury you are attempting to imply here.
I NEVER said that it was a big gash with blood 'pouring' out, that was you trying to make it sound dramatic, I said blood ran down my back. which it would if water was involved.

Gazza, you haven't changed a bit.
post-88-1286028816_thumb.jpg
The next bad experience was when I climbed into the trap door capsule, I had one ride operater take over on my slide. He had never done it before and another operater was showing him how to use it, she pointed to a few buttons then left.
But I mean, when I went on opening day literally 10 or so staff got shown how to operate the ride with me as the 'test subject', and as a matter of fact that is still going to happen for any ride you try out in its opening weeks. But I didn't feel uncomfortable because what is going to happen? Either the trap door is going to open, or it's not. Either outcome is 'safe'. Anyway, I agree with DjRappa, if everyone gets weighed every time then its not discrimination, and ultimately it's necessary for safe operation. They actually weighed me on every cycle, even if I was just going for a re-ride and they'd seen me 2 minutes earlier. Doing it that way just makes sense because it avoids any margin for error. It would be easier to just do everyone ever time because then you avoid situations where the attendant has to remember who has been weighed and who hasn't, arguments, inconsistency when staff rotate positions etc etc. They're lifeguards, not "guess your weight" carnival game people.
I couldn't get over the fact that they made you go shirtless
Operational requirements. Shirts would increase the likelihood of not making the loop. I mean if the slide hurt you than fine, but the other issues aren't really issues at all. Edited by Gazza

I would actually believe that, I'm not sure what the ride is called but there's another older ride at WnW, you lie on your back, it's sort of over the far side, and when I rode it my back got scraped and was bleeding (a bit), my friends just went really red. And I'm not fat my BMI is 18.5 :P So rides can hurt your back, my spine is too bony so it always hurts! Now I'm scared of this one :P

Aidan just wants to create some controversy.
What's the point of creating controversy? I came on and shared my experience with the slide, even if most of the complaints are bad (weighing, shirtless). But this slide did hurt me, I'm not saying it hurts everyone because everyone else who came out of the loop were all fine and laughing. I had a bad experience, it happens. Nearly everyone who posted on this thread just attacked me straight away trying to defend the slide, I wouldn't log onto this website for the first time in years to lie and 'create controversy'. Edited by aidan

Putting things together logically - he has an issue removing his rash shirt, but you think he'll post pics of himself online to prove an injury. Aidan, sorry but the way i read your initial post, you made it sound precisely like DjRappa said. For those that have yet to ride AquaLoop, I rode it this weekend. Twice. Didn't feel anything except a constant slippery surface. There are few attractions that can well and truly give you a good adrenalin thrill - but this is one of them. My only feedback for potential riders is - if you're not wearing boardshorts of some description (girls included), expect to spend a minute or two in the splashdown pool picking a wedgie. We saw several girls come down in bikini \ one piece who were unable to stand up for a little while after splashdown for that very reason. My only critique with the ride is it's staff logistics. There were three staff in the queue line on ground level, and 12 guests queueing. The staff were involved in a discussion, and rather than end their discussion, one of them turned around, and called out "just wait right there for me guys", and kept us waiting while they finished their conversation. Meanwhile, the 5 staff at the top of the tower and standing around doing nothing, because they're waiting on riders. At another point, the three staff at the queue were split - with one person weighing at the head of the queue, and two others standing at the entrance to the queue talking. I'd have thought the two at the front could stop those with rash shirts and jewelry from even entering the queue, rather than let them bank up at the scales while the scales marshall identifies these things while you're standing on the scale. The signage also says something like large or loose jewelry, but they made everyone remove absolutely anything that was around their neck - thin silver chains (let's face it - it isn't going to choke them if it hangs up, it will just break) to the guys that wear a metal design on a leather thong. One guy was wearing a metal pendant on a leather thong - he was told to remove it, and when he told the attendant that it was not removeable, that he could not ride. I can appreciate the limitations placed by the manufacturer, but some of this is a little overkill. As for the number of staff at the top of the tower, I'm just concerned about what capacity impacts will happen when the ride is no longer new - will they leave one attendant at the top of the tower to load and launch all FOUR?

Edited by AlexB

To answer Richard's question properly, they have a set of scales at the bottom of the queue. The display on the scale faces away from the queueline, and you are standing in front of it, so it is unlikely that anyone except yourself and the operator would know your weight - and after seeing 500 people an hour on that scale, i don't think the op will remember you later if you're overweight. I did hear the scales beep when i got on, and the op told me i was fine before the numbers stopped moving. Not sure if its just because they knew there was no way I was outside the limits, or if the beep tells them i'm fine. Either way, the scales are not a big drama, unless your ass is so big, it can't fit between the fenceposts to get on the scales (the scales have their own little alcove off the side of the path.)