Surf Rider

sam_afl96

Wow yea I haven't that thing use water since it came out of its first rehab after about a year it was opened, it had a paint job and they weren't turned back on.... and actually the next year it didn't need a paint as bad, so I'm guessing the chlorine in the water caused it to need more maintenance than what the park actually wanted.

I agree with all the comments regarding Surfrider!! In it's current state it is a superfluous ride at a water park such as Wet'N'Wild. I totally agree that it would be better served being placed at Seaworld( which is in desperate need of more ride attractions). I have thought this and expressed as such before the ride went into Wet'N'Wild. The place where The Pirate Ship used to stand would be perfect for Surfriders footprint!!Let's hope that someone from management sees the common sense of such a move!! Cheers, Jobe

WVTP were originally going to install it at Sea World but changed their mind and installed it at Wet'n'Wild instead. I don't think they'd do a backflip just yet.
Why ever not?? Surfrider has NOT been an outstanding success at Wet'N Wild. The mere fact that the original plans were to install Surfrider at Seaworld would make them more likely to revisit the idea. It just makes much more sense, especially considering the small footprint of the ride, the readily available small parcel of land that Pirate Ship used to occupy also being available. It would make a lot of sense-as I have stated before, Seaworld is short on rides attractions, this would give them 3 coasters and would fill a niche that is lacking in the park( ie genuine thrills which is really only catered to by Jetski and Sea Viper. Having visited Seaworld 2 weeks ago, I found that it is dire need of 2 or 3 ride attractions to lift it back to being a great park!! Couple this with a refurbishment of Bermuda Triangle, and the reintroduction of the SeaWorld train, and this would go a long way to balancing out the park. Cheers Jobe

I personally think costs to move the ride would just out-weigh it all. Yes the ride has a small foot print but is still alot of cement, electrical work needs to be down, staff perhaps need to be trained (not sure if staff swap and change parks), the list could go on. Yes it wasn't a great idea to place the ride at WnW but its there now. I would rather see money well spent on ride refurbs then relocation of a ride which won't change experience because of a different location.

Edited by mickey_079

DjRappa I simply meant that the ride has not been what I would call a huge success at Wet'nWild. It has had it's fair share of problems such as the misting sprays being removed as they caused undue corrosion. Yes the ride is popular at Wet'n'Wild but it is an uncomfortable fit for the ride. It has never really belonged at Wet'n'Wild and I believe that it would have a higher profile at a park such as Seaworld. As for costs of removing and reinstalling I do not think that it would be that significant. Remember Mammoth plunge was removed from Wet'N'Wild and reinstalled at Seaworld. Granted this is a whole different ride in regards to complexity however the precedent has been set! Cheers Jobe

I believe that it would have a higher profile at a park such as Seaworld.
More teenagers would visit WnW than SW....Just sayin.
Yes the ride is popular at Wet'n'Wild but it is an uncomfortable fit for the ride. It has never really belonged at Wet'n'Wild
Do the general public view it that way though? Who knows, maybe the mere fact it is surfboard shaped makes it fit the park in their eyes? Yes, it's weird to us, but as DJ said it's been popular at WnW since day one, and it's not worth the visitor backlash that would result from its removal just to achieve some utopian vision of WnW strictly being wet rides because its 'pleasing' from an enthusiast standpoint.

I'd like to see more non traditional waterpark rides at Wet and Wild, gives it a unique edge. Plus it's Wet AND Wild so Surf Rider can fit the Wild theme. Plus the ride IS themed to a water activity so I feel it kind of works in theme. Sea World is really all about marine life, and in my opinion a surfing theme fits less there.

Went to Wet 'n' Wild today and rode Surf Rider 6 times. Love the ride, but I noticed they still had the hoses on and running, they were just pointed straight at the water. Another thing I noticed was the amount of times they had to stop and do test runs on it. I would've happened at least 4 times today.