Parkz Creative Genius

aussienetman

Welcome to a brand new game where each week you get to show off your creativity. Each week for 10 weeks a new challenge will be posted. Parkz readers will vote each week on their favorite creative idea. Contestants will be awarded points and at the end of the 10 weeks we will have our winners! Challenges include: 1. Designing a new Stunt Show for Warner Brothers Movie World 2. Designing a brand new ride to be placed in the Eureka Mine Train footprint at Dreamworld. 3. Designing a temporary themed attraction for Fright Night at WBMW. And many more!  Rundown of a usual week Monday Night - Challenge Posted Saturday Midnight - Entries close. Sunday -Monday - 24hour public vote Monday Night - Leaderboard updated and new challenge posted You can use photos, maps etc but make sure you include a detailed description and attraction name. Make sure you read the weekly challenge carefully as rules may change for each week. Everyone is welcome to submit an entry each week. The first challenge will be posted later today. Please limit your idea to one post only. This will allow voters to read your posts more easily. What do you win? Pride and glory of being the first parkz creative genius!

Edited by nathanpamenter

Ok, here is the week one challenge. Week One Open to everyone to submit an attraction! Please limit response to one post. The Eureka Mine Ride at Dreamworld has sat dormant for almost 4 years now, and Dreamworld has finally decided to use the space! Here's your challenge. Design a new attraction for the current space where the Eureka Mine Ride sits. Your attraction can be anything you like but cannot be an existing attraction at Dreamworld and must fit into the footprint. You cannot reopen the mine ride. Dreamworld are going all out with this attraction, and as such, it will be fully themed. Your attraction must have A name A detailed description of the attraction You may include photos if you wish Deadline for submissions is next Saturday the 6th of November at midnight. Anyone can compete, just limit your submission to one post. Forum members will then vote, and points will Be awarded. The rules are subject to change. Good Luck!

Edited by nathanpamenter

Make sure you read the weekly challenge carefully as rules may change for each week. If you do not post by the weekly deadline, you will be eliminated from the comp.
Any chance of making the comp more 'ad hoc'? Perhaps make it so anyone can compete over the 10 weeks in any particular round, and then asses across the 10 entries This could perhaps even the results and make things a bit more rounded (Eg someone on here might be a gun at designing a live show and would enjoy doing the challenge, but if they were eliminated before that round happened then the community would miss out on seeing something cool produced) Having to commit every week is a bit hard (Design takes a long time!), especially since my 'real' design portfolio for uni is due in 10 days time, which precludes me from doing anything in the first round, and hence the whole comp :( Will it always be based on a real world situation at our existing parks (Eg Eureka replacement)? Or will there be hypothetical stuff? (Eg "a major new theme park is opening in Melbourne, design a large scale dark ride") Just my $0.02

Hi Gazza, Have edited the rules :) I was in two minds about either eliminating or points, and do agree with your case. So points it is. Anyone can post over the 10 weeks, and we can have a leaderboard. Some of the challenges are based on RL situations, and some of the challenges are completly out there. The challenges are fairly diverse and will allow a lot of creativity from different fields to come into play.

Any chance of making the comp more 'ad hoc'? Perhaps make it so anyone can compete over the 10 weeks in any particular round, and then asses across the 10 entries This could perhaps even the results and make things a bit more rounded (Eg someone on here might be a gun at designing a live show and would enjoy doing the challenge, but if they were eliminated before that round happened then the community would miss out on seeing something cool produced) Having to commit every week is a bit hard (Design takes a long time!), especially since my 'real' design portfolio for uni is due in 10 days time, which precludes me from doing anything in the first round, and hence the whole comp :( Will it always be based on a real world situation at our existing parks (Eg Eureka replacement)? Or will there be hypothetical stuff? (Eg "a major new theme park is opening in Melbourne, design a large scale dark ride") Just my $0.02
Edited by nathanpamenter

Nah bugger it, you've caused me to procrastinate, so here's my idea. I didn't want to procrastinate for too long, so the drawings aint the prettiest. Eureka Mountain 2: The Forbidden Shaft. As the slogan goes "Toyota Yaris combines Toyotas big ideas into one small car". Well EM2:tFS combines Intamins big ideas into one (relativley) small coaster.....Mix Fahrenheit, Maverick, Piraten/Kawasemi and Th13teen and you've got some idea of where I'm going with this. I've also "negotiated the brief" a little bit :P, and used up the sites of the old Chairlift station and the currently unused Thunder River water lagoon (so to construct this ride, Goldrush would be closed for a few months, all water removed, and footings placed into the base of the lagoon) But the ride is still entirely within goldrush, so it's all legit IMO ;) So here's an overview of how the front facade would look. Typical mine theming, with a new rocky facade and a bunch of mine buildings. You go in under a "Poppert head" and along some shed like buildings. Overhead there would be moving machinery like pulley wheels etc post-88-1288347145_thumb.jpg The main bit of the queue is in the show building, in an indoor cavern where mining is taking place. Stalagmites would protrude from the floor, and floor space would also be taken up by bits of mining paraphenalia. The queue therefore would wind its way randomly around everything. The roof would feature stalactites and small rocky bits covered with gold leaf (to give the impression of gold deposits) as well as hanging lanterns and rope pullies with hanging buckets of spoil. An interesting feature would be a section of track (between the final block brakes and the unload station) that would come out into this cavern overhead. So every now and then guests would see a trainload of recovering riders passing overhead. post-88-1288347681_thumb.jpg The queue would head upstairs and into the station. These spaces would be a bit more formalised, with squared off walls, with buttresses and timber cross planks. The trains would be the 3 car, 12 rider type, but a bit more blocky looking, with a timber texture and metal bracing to look like mine carts. So here is the layout: post-88-1288347078_thumb.jpg From the station you go down a small drop, straight into a surprise barrel roll, which is hidden by the darkness of the mine tunnel you are in. Immediately you round a U turn and hit a block brake. The lift then takes you up 90 degrees to a height of 30m. The lift would be fully enclosed by the tall building seen in the first illustration. At the top you go over the edge and down a "steeper than vertial" drop and exit the building at high speed (imagine the visual impact to bystanders of watching trains being spat out at high speed!) From there its straight into an immelmann, but on the pullout you whip around a helix. From there its straight into a corkscrew that goes over the gold rush footbridge. The track continues around an overbanked turn that goes slightly over the Big Brother Cafe (or whatever its called now) The pullout would be quite steep and this leads you into the next trick of the ride.... The track dives into a 'cut and cover' tunnel themed to look like a mine tunnel entrance, and this would contain an LSM booster launch. But here's the fun part. The tunnel would be pitch black when the train first goes in, yet filled with smoke . At the right moment a large explosion sound effect would be heard, and the entire tunnel would be illuminated from behind the position of the train with red and orange, in a sort of fake fire effect (Like on Valhalla at BPB) In addition the train would pass under a set of heated air curtains (like at the entrances to some buildings/shopping centers) which further enhances the explosion effect. From the launch its straight up into a cobra roll, and then the fun bit, a bunch of airtime hills ( :D ) At the end of this section you curve upwards and renter the show building and back into a 'mine tunnel'. In the darkness is a surprise bunny hop. You are then brought to a stop and reach a dead end . You hear the sound of the ground crumbling, and then just like Th13teen the track drops. The track would drop into a smoky area (to simulate the dust that would get thrown up as a result of a rock fall) and at this point the ride is over, and friction wheels advance you back to the station, passing through the aforementioned cavern space on the way. Here is a quick 3d sketch of how the ride layout looks, but without the show building. post-88-1288347926_thumb.jpg And that's it.

Edited by Gazza

Bugger, my idea was going to have been very similar to that, with a couple of tweaks: 1. My ride would have started with a slow ride through a dark mine, slowly, making your way higher through the mountain. Eventually, you would be launched east towards MDMC, pull a tight 270degree turn to the right, drop over the edge of the mountain, and into a vertical loop around the pedestrian bridge. From there you would travel around the SkyLink station and then head back to the mountain. The exact layout I had in mind isn't really important. 2. My ride would have featured single car trains as they look more like mine cars. Probably a sort of launched Euro-fighter though I was hoping to find one with a lower height requirement. When Dreamworld has the Giant Drop with a 120cm restriction, IMHO anything less thrilling should have a lower height restriction. Since yours so wonderfully explains what I was going to do in every other respect, I'm now dedicating my brain power to thing of something different. Stand by for that :)

Here is a quick 3d sketch of how the ride layout looks, but without the show building. post-88-1288347926_thumb.jpg And that's it.
Very creative! I think you hit a range of elements which are important ie surprise/suspense. I like that other guests can see the ride at certain points along the way. Not a big fan on the name though! What are you studying Gazza?

Ok mine is Called " The Great Mine Escape" when you first start you get into a car like the vintage cars at dream world what the riders dont know is that it is only a casing around a coaster car you travel a long a track in a mining town. At this point of the ride the ride stops to make it look like it is broken down. This is only a distraction while the front of the casing is lowering so that the car can shoot out . Then it is shot up a small bank over then another the ride then dose some tight turns before going under ground then back before entering a mine shaft it looks like a dead end but then bursts out the wall. as they are doing this a large amount of heat comes from behind before returning to the station

Once the cars shoots out, where does the 'casing' go?
The casing goes back by a different track to the unload station. Edited by Gazza
Lscia8, please, only use capitals at the start of sentences, not all the way through...It's irritating to read when its like that!

So how would both things be able to follow their own tracks without the supports for the track that carries the casing getting in the way of the track that carries the coaster car? Does anyone get what I'm imagining here? The space underneath a coaster car is taken up by the wheel assemblies and the track, and the track is connected to the ground via supports: http://www.rcdb.com/m/3631.htm?p=19385 I cant see how the casing would be able to get around the coaster car to lock onto it from both sides because everything else would be in the way.

Well I assumed that the casings would fold out onto separate tracks. Like instead of lowering underneath the track, they would lower and fold out onto separate tracks. Do you know what I mean? Would be fairly easily assembled with a magnet system where the magnets disengage at a certain section of the ride, and then they reengage at Thr unload station. Secondly, I don't want you two scaring off other potential contestants by nit-picking their ideas! Lol. If it's going to be 10 weeks of people having to explain themselves then that's not much fun is it! Lol. What someone may not understand fully (the casings for instance), other people may get straight away. Keep this light guys, remember, we are not actually putting a proposal together to submit to DW) If we were, then gaz, your proposal would need to be completly reworked as your ride does not fit into the Eureka footprint (which was prt of the brief from DW) Back to it now then shall we?? Nate

Well I assumed that the casings would fold out onto separate tracks. Like instead of lowering underneath the track, they would lower and fold out onto separate tracks. Do you know what I mean? Would be fairly easily assembled with a magnet system where the magnets disengage at a certain section of the ride, and then they reengage at Thr unload station. Secondly, I don't want you two scaring off other potential contestants by nit-picking their ideas! Lol. If it's going to be 10 weeks of people having to explain themselves then that's not much fun is it! Lol. What someone may not understand fully (the casings for instance), other people may get straight away. Keep this light guys, remember, we are not actually putting a proposal together to submit to DW) If we were, then gaz, your proposal would need to be completly reworked as your ride does not fit into the Eureka footprint (which was prt of the brief from DW) Back to it now then shall we?? Nate
I think the questions are perfectly valid. I can flat out that that design is not practical (even though it sounds great) and the parks would never build it. Now that being the case there is no way I personally would vote for it to be the best. I can't think that I'd be alone in that line of thought. So by questioning the design I think it only helps the creator maybe re think or better their idea and thus improve their chance of winning. Now if they had said "that's crap you'll lose" it would be one thing but I think those posts are pretty constructive critisism. Of course it's your competition and you can run it however you like, the above is merely my opinion.