Looney Toons River Ride closed

Derwan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just saw this today on the Zendorphin Facebook page, the photo was taken just this week. 197390_1712682854263_1153897737_31547599_7938930_n.jpg (All credit goes to Chris Mason) It looks like the boats are LTRR boats, but would these be spare/old boats or do you think they have been taken off the ride? I think they have removed them from the ride and are hopefully starting construction on something new, or at least doing something towards the attraction thats rumoured to replace it. What do you think?

is that the ól tree across the river trick' on that thar boat? WAIT JUST A COT'N PICKIN MINUTE!! This here log is the very same one that was made to stop rider's from jumpin out of the boat when they thought the whole thing was over.. OK it's safe to jump out now, the boat's goin nowhere ;)

Edited by MickeyD

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking a bit more about the closure of this ride and it really strikes me as a strange thing to do. Such a fantastic and iconic ride - absolutely no need to get rid of it. It was perfect for any age - allowing the whole family to ride it. I understand they may have closed it to replace it with something else. But I find it really strange that Movie World does this when one of the biggest issues with Movie World is their lack of attractions. Admittedly they have increased the number of rides over the years, but they could still do with a few more (as the recent TPR trip suggested). They should have left Looney Tunes as it was and built this new ride (if it eventuates) somewhere else

I couldn't agree more. Despite what people say there is still room to add in new attractions and perhaps with just a bit of relocation of facilities here and there, plenty more room can be made for the future too. It's not the reason and Menzies even said it to me himself years ago that they are very wary of the downfalls of over-capitalization. MW has always been a very expensive Park to run so perhaps a couple more flat rides here and there could be a nice compliment to the more spectacle attractions? LTRR was a classic and all it needed was refreshing and updating. Perhaps add in a few new show scenes and elemental surprises along the way? This is the kind of 20th Birthday gift the Park should get rather than some fly by night Theme like Ben10

• 3 weeks later...

@themeparkgc: when I went last on LTRR it was only operating from 12:00pm to 3pm weekdays - must have been that bad. Croc wasn't too broken - at least the jaw moved about an inch when I went. Lighting was rubbish, audio was considerably improved however. The tree moved for the boat in front of us (saw the shadow) but when our boat passed by the trigger it didn't even drop. Boat lift was rougher than usual - pulled you up and was pretty quick where before it was nice, slow and gentle. Rock didn't move at all either - was expecting it to. Presenter was ok, knew all his lines – had little or no enthusiasm though :( Never went on BT at Sea World before it closed – but was laughing watching onride videos on YouTube – the aliens hardly looked scary and if the house lights were on you could see the animatronic bits on them. Some of the projectors had 'No Signal' clearly displayed (in place of the onride video projections of flying saucers etc) and that always guaranteed a laugh or two from me. Btw sorry for going off topic – just had to talk a little about BT as well since both rides are now gone. I wonder what the replacements will be like?

^ I don't think the POVs of Bermuda do it any justice at all. When all the effects were working everything fit together really well, even the robot aliens fitted with the ride. Really though considering how much was broken or needed work it was a rather laughable attraction, and it's not a shame to see it go, and I'm looking forward to whatever replaces it. LTRR did see out it's days in more dignity than Bermuda, and towards the end of it's life the only effect that routinely didn't work was the tree. Unfortunately for LTRR though it simply wasn't popular, was dated, and whether or not they use it this year, the park needs the land to expand.

^ I don't think the POVs of Bermuda do it any justice at all. When all the effects were working everything fit together really well, even the robot aliens fitted with the ride. Really though considering how much was broken or needed work it was a rather laughable attraction, and it's not a shame to see it go, and I'm looking forward to whatever replaces it. LTRR did see out it's days in more dignity than Bermuda, and towards the end of it's life the only effect that routinely didn't work was the tree. Unfortunately for LTRR though it simply wasn't popular, was dated, and whether or not they use it this year, the park needs the land to expand.

So true - towards the end of LTRR's life there was about 40 people there in the queue line (hardly full up) - from memory I think you could take in 20, give them the preshow about Bugs digging to Oz n such, send them on the boats and once they were on bring in the next lot. Saw a couple of old people getting on the ride as well. Last time I remember everything working before the final closure was mid 2007 after they turned Looney Tunes Village into Kids WB or something like that and LTRR was at its prime - almost all the effects worked, even the rock, and the lighting was great. Sound was ok, but not too good. I think they should replace it with an Omnimover style ride - possibly a ghost train or something with simple low maintenance gags - not too many - as WVTP don't like complicated mechanical props. They could possibly model it after Luna Park Melbourne's ghost train - many of the gags in that are simply visual - and the ones that are mechanical are few and far between. Would be cool to see one though as a concept - even if they don't go with the idea I still would be glad to know I put something forward to fill the space. Any ideas on what you'd like to see in the space previously filled by LTRR?

Probably shouldn't read anything in to it, but when Bermuda last closed it only took a few weeks from memory for Sea World to confirm that it was permanent and acknowledge this on the website. Looney Tunes however still shows as closed until further notice, and the signage is still up. I haven't been to Sea World to check about Bermuda, but Looney Tunes is still mentioned on the closure boards at the gate too.

yeh. i watched a POV of it on YouTube. wasnt what i expected but Movie World could greatly improve it. The elevator portion of the ride was interesting though.

I agree with ya JamberooFan - Movie World should have spent the dough to actually buy, program and install new animatronics instead of ripping out the ride like it seems they have done. Would have been cool to own a prototype Bugs Bunny or the Foghorn Leghorn that the cast member talked to in the preshow - still, ya can't have everything you want in life. And JamberooFan, I understand you also mentioned installing a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ride - I think that would not be a good idea - the ride is in Kids WB! Village, and the rides are populated by Looney Tunes characters, so Movie World should replace the LTRR with something related to Looney Tunes at least, IMHO.

Whilst sad that the ride appears to be dead, as westical pointed out the ride is taking a very long time to die, so even though it's doubtful, the ride could come back in a refurbished form. Personally, if the ride isn't coming back or something similar in terms of quality, i'd actually be in favor ripping the complex out and expanding the land. I suppose time will tell, aslong as the building doesn't turn into park theming like Eureka or the Peoplemover.

I agree with ya JamberooFan - Movie World should have spent the dough to actually buy, program and install new animatronics instead of ripping out the ride like it seems they have done. And JamberooFan, I understand you also mentioned installing a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ride - I think that would not be a good idea - the ride is in Kids WB! Village, and the rides are populated by Looney Tunes characters, so Movie World should replace the LTRR with something related to Looney Tunes at least, IMHO.

The POV i was referring to was of the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ride not the Looney Tunes River Ride but i still prefer them fully refurbishing the Looney Tunes River Ride instead of replacing it. I agree with the second point, they should build something Looney Tunes themed. It was only an idea because how could they build another ride of that size themed to Looney Tunes. I hope they have a fresh idea because i dont have any lol. Anyway i already said this - 'Even though it isnt related to Kids' WB! or Looney Tunes etc'. I hate how theme parks put rides into areas that dont fit the theme like AVPX in Ocean Parade and the Motocoaster in Rivertown. It was only an idea.

The POV i was referring to was of the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ride not the Looney Tunes River Ride but i still prefer them fully refurbishing the Looney Tunes River Ride instead of replacing it. I agree with the second point, they should build something Looney Tunes themed. It was only an idea because how could they build another ride of that size themed to Looney Tunes. I hope they have a fresh idea because i dont have any lol. Anyway i already said this - 'Even though it isnt related to Kids' WB! or Looney Tunes etc'. I hate how theme parks put rides into areas that dont fit the theme like AVPX in Ocean Parade and the Motocoaster in Rivertown. It was only an idea.

I remember that - Dreamworld ripped out the Vortex - and my last ride was November '08. Darn it. Now that the LTRR boats are gone WVTP won't be too enthusiastic about either buying them back off whatever theme park they sold them to or anywhere else. They could use a different ride system - something from Intamin could be on the cards, but not a MultiMotion - that would be way off WVTP's budget. They could do a Looney Tunes theme log flume - if they haven't gutted the entire inside of the ride yet and ripped out the channel the boat used to go through. Perhaps a 20th anniversary special where instead of all the Looney Tune characters looking for Bugs Bunny, it's the other way around - Bugs looking for all his friends - and they've gone to Australia. Just an idea I put forward.