Looney Toons River Ride closed

Derwan

I want to know what MW will do with the animatronics!!! I hope these are not destroyed and put somewhere where they can be enjoyed by guests for years to come. What do you guys thinkthey will do with the animatronics??
...Destroy them. It might cost them 5c down the track so best to get rid of them immediately. :rolleyes: MW used to be good, now it's got one decent coaster, one ear-bashing coaster, a bunch of kids rides, practically no theming anywhere and a decaying motion simulator years outdated which I'm sure will go next.

Nooooooooo! (about destroying the animatronics) Yesssssssssss! (about closing the motion simulator) - Batride takes up a lot of space which could be used for something so much better!

...Destroy them. It might cost them 5c down the track so best to get rid of them immediately. :rolleyes: MW used to be good, now it's got one decent coaster, one ear-bashing coaster, a bunch of kids rides, practically no theming anywhere and a decaying motion simulator years outdated which I'm sure will go next.

I just want to point out a couple of things... Firstly NEVER trust what you hear from a Ride operator. The ones that do know what is going on are too smart than to risk their job telling guests. The ones that don't know often love to play 'expert' and feed you a bunch of bull. For starters Looney Tunes is one of the most realiable and least expensive to maintain rides in teh park. As for guest complaints... WHAT BS, how can they complain about something they don't even know is happening?? Second, has anyone said they are removing the ride to replace it with a warehouse for storage and off limits to guests? No?? Has anyone said they are putting in a 600 foot tall drop tower with a 5'6" heigh restriction? No?? Years ago I went to Sea World and was very sad to see the mine ride was closed. On my next visit this new ride Bermuda Triangle was open and was the greatest thing I'd ever seen. Same for Gremlins and Scooby. This is nothing new, the parks have been replacing attractions since before Movieworld was even built. The park isn't run by a bunch of thrill junkie hacks that don't know what they are doing. Of course they will replace the ride with something that appeals to all ages. And I've got no doubts that in 6, 9 12 months time or whatever it is you will all be on here posting how awesome the new XXXX ride at movieworld is and how they have once again outclassed dream world on innovation and theming. Yes it's sad, I used to ride this as a kid, but its not like when wonderland closed. But times change, markets change and what people want changes. In todays video game driven market how many kids want to sit on a quiet dark ride being shouted at by cartoons they don't even know? And for the little ones that parents take on the ride, will they be just as happy to see a colourful parade and ride Sam's Train or the Tweets Cages? It's very easy to come on here and bitch about something just because it's closing but how many times have you all ridden the river ride in the past 12 months? The alternative is to leave everything exactly as it is and change the sign out the front of the park to DREAMWORLD SOUTH.

good points dj! It is very sad that the ride has closed, but I cannot wait to see what Movieworld have in store! They have put a lot of money into recent (read last few years) attractions at all parks. To close a mainstay of the park is a decision I bet they did not take lightly, and im sure that something great is in store! I would really really like to see MW preserve the animatronics in some way though. Like it or not, they are a part of history, and they do hold memories for at least one guest. Oh - and just adding - Everytime I went to the park I rode the Riverride. And each time I saw the kids faces light up in the pre-show rooms. Yes, it was dated and in need of an upgrade, but to it's target audience it was a magical, immersive ride. The earth drill was awesome. The host actually talking to and getting responses from WB characters was awesome. The ride down the river with it's log falling and its lightning cave. Sam blowing up the dynamite. It all holds iconic memories for me as the first ride I ever rode, and as the first ride I ever worked on. I hope that the new ride will still allow memories to be created and is not a half-assed attempt at luring a new audience with Ben 10 or similar. Remember the Pokemon attraction? I know MW are smarter than what they sometimes seem, but they really need to put in an attraction which will fill the massive void left by this ride. We see Dreamworld moving away from immersive "themepark" rides and turning itself into a carnival. Movieworld have done an amazing job in the theming at Castaway Bay, but then i look at the Penguin encounter and i can't help but wonder why the building wasn't themed as well. I'm sure Movieworld will not disappoint, but the new attraction does have a pair of quality shoes to fill. In the hands of Dreamworld I would be not at all hopeful, but Movieworld have proven they can replace rides with amazing new themed attractions (gamezone excluded). I'm excited about 2011, it should be a big year for our GC parks, and the direction taken by MW with the replacement should be a telltale sign of the future plans for WVTP parks.

Edited by aussienetman

djrappa+aussienetman=win But seriously, I am very excited to see another family attraction in its place. Yes I know it's speculation, but I can't imagine it being a thrill ride. Maybe (in a few years time) with the removal of the Batman simulators we will see another thrill ride. But for new a new family attraction in place of the river ride sounds good to me :) As long as it's well themed! I can't imagine them going with another dark river ride though... Because seriously if your knocking down a perfectly well themed river ride, why build ANOTHER one and then theme it again. Unless they are keeping the ride structure and re-theming I would find it pointless. I think we are going to see something new for the park, something more "innovative"

The animatronics will most likely be kept and stored. I know going off past history there is still a container full of gremlins sitting by construction 1, the model memphis bell's are still stored in with all the halloween mazes, and even things like the old demolition man car are still kept, But im sure they wont be put anywhere in the park!

but then i look at the Penguin encounter and i can't help but wonder why the building wasn't themed as well.
In my super expert architectural opinion ( :P ) I quite like the solution they came up with. Beautifully minimalist, like something out of contemporary Japan. In that location, a "themed" design like making it look like an oversized iceberg (Like the Frozen Coke shop at WnW) would have looked absolutely tacky.

agrees an iceberg would have looked tacky. i was thinking more along the lines of using some of the now defunct research station themeing from bermuda and turning it into an antartic outpost or similar. :)

In my super expert architectural opinion ( :P ) I quite like the solution they came up with. Beautifully minimalist, like something out of contemporary Japan. In that location, a "themed" design like making it look like an oversized iceberg (Like the Frozen Coke shop at WnW) would have looked absolutely tacky.

You don't understand. You can make any ride into those, that's purely the theme. Are you saying if they put in an all out insane roller coaster with that style theme you'd would think its a suitable replacement? I'm guessing they don't choose new attractions by choosing the theme first then the ride after, other way around guys.

Edited by Scott.

I don't think you understand Scott. Hibino said an "indiana jones or jurassic park style ride". This means either an Intamin Multi Motion Dark Ride or a Vekoma Water Ride (which they don't seem to make anymore, so it would have to be manufactured by someone else). As Spencer and Brad have said, he didn't say rides themed to Jurassic Park or Indiana Jones, but a ride which uses the same ride system as one of them. I can't see Movie World putting in a JP style ride because it would be too similar to what is on offer with WWF. As much as I'd like to see one, a Multi Motion Dark Ride would be a bit out of the budget.

I don't think you understand Scott. Hibino said an "indiana jones or jurassic park style ride". This means either an Intamin Multi Motion Dark Ride or a Vekoma Water Ride (which they don't seem to make anymore, so it would have to be manufactured by someone else). As Spencer and Brad have said, he didn't say rides themed to Jurassic Park or Indiana Jones, but a ride which uses the same ride system as one of them. I can't see Movie World putting in a JP style ride because it would be too similar to what is on offer with WWF. As much as I'd like to see one, a Multi Motion Dark Ride would be a bit out of the budget.
Glad at least you understood what i was saying. Was trying to work out what i was saying that didnt make sense to Scott.
You don't understand. You can make any ride into those, that's purely the theme. Are you saying if they put in an all out insane roller coaster with that style theme you'd would think its a suitable replacement? I'm guessing they don't choose new attractions by choosing the theme first then the ride after, other way around guys.
Im not really following much of what you are saying, but i would argue that in many cases the theme is DEFINITELY chosen prior to the ride being chosen. If i was the CEO of a theme park and wanted to open a new attraction, i'd take a look at my park, get an idea of what area of the park (theme) i wanted to incorporate the ride into and then choose a ride based on that theme (which could be age-dependent, size dependent, cost dependent). I wouldnt just go, hmmm ... i want a Mega Coaster, lets order it. And then afterwards think hmmm, the only place i can fit it in is Wiggle World. When they opened the Harry Potter Themed World in the US, they didnt choose a roller coaster and then think, you know what - that kind of seems like a 'wizard' like ride, lets build a Harry Potter world around it. They thought "we have a great theme idea - a Harry Potter world with Harry Potter themed attractions - now what rides would fit in with this" Edited by Brad2912

Unless a park knows that they want to invest into let's say a Vekoma SLC, because it fits with their budget/land area and then they decide what theme. But they still wouldn't buy the SLC have it shipped and painted and THEN decide the theme. But I can imagine it still does happen sometimes that they choose which coaster before the theme. But I agree, a jungle/adventure type ride would be great for Movieworld, with those ride systems

Was trying to work out what i was saying that didnt make sense to Scott.
Agreed, the first thing I thought of when you said "Indiana Jones Style" was a dark ride where the vehicle is on a motion base.
Im not really following much of what you are saying, but i would argue that in many cases the theme is DEFINITELY chosen prior to the ride being chosen.
Eh, It could happen either way to be honest. A park might see a ride system they really like and massage a theme onto that (Eg with SAW at Thorpe park the SAW theme was finalised later in the project), or at the other end of the spectrum they could pick up a good licensed property and then devise an attraction that reflects the spirit of it well.

For what it's worth, I've always thought a Willy Wonka/Charlie & the Chocolate Factory ride there would be really cool, and would fit with the kids/family theme of the area. The ride could basically stay the same, just make the water more brown!
Not a bad idea Scott. I guess the issue though with theming a ride to an individual movie is that over time it becomes less relevant as the age of the movie increases. I agree given the popularity of the recent adaptation it would be a great idea, but it 10yrs time will it hold it's appeal and relevance? Probably not (wild wild west adventure ride prime example). Then u find as the relevance wears off or the consumers interest in the movie, the park stops focusing as much on the theming and 'experience' - as we've seen with Lethal Weapon. It's going on 10yrs since a lethal weapon movie came out. In 5yrs the rides target audience wont have even seen the movies the ride is themed around

Here's an interesting thought! I just read this on Screamscape (2/16/11) Vekoma’s official blog mentions that they have successfully installed and opened their first I-RIDE attraction system at EDA Park in Taiwan. The ride system appears to be intended to give a similar experience to Disney’s Soarin’ ride system, though with a different set of hardware. The new ride film is even called Flying of Taiwan. What may be more exciting is the fact that that Vekoma also mentions that an announcement will be coming soon about two more installations of the I-RIDE Flight Simulator systems. For some time the rumour mill has suggested that the River Ride's replacement would perhaps not 'fit' the Theme of the area but would nonetheless be an exciting addition to the Park. A family attraction, like Soarin would be pretty sweet and perhaps not surprisingly, this idea has been tossed around by MW Park management for years. Could it be back on the table? Someone tell me I'm wrong!