Looney Toons River Ride closed

Derwan

• 3 weeks later...

I know the old "a ride op said" source is unreliable at best, but I thought I'd post what I overheard last Wednesday whilst taking my Son on the merry-go-round in Kid's WB, just to fuel some speculation. A guest in front of us asked the operator what had happened to the River Ride. The operator's response was that it had closed, "but there is something new inside there, which will be opening soon." Anybody agree with the notion that construction has/or is currently occurred/ing inside the old river ride building, and that there is in fact a new attraction inside? Or was the Ride Op just being a little creative?

Edited by strop

I for one hope that they are, and keeping it under wraps. Dreamworld is all busy going on about Buzzsaw, MW could come out and xmas and go, "here's Green Lantern, oh also, BAM new family dark ride" This way DW have no idea what's happening and can't compete with a 2nd offering thereby giving the upper hand again to MW. Even if it's not happening now, it would be a pretty clever way to do it IMO

would find it impossible for MW to build a new ride without DW knowing about it In the end they are the 2 major players, and really the only 2 players in what is a very small niche market in Australia. They would have the same or similar suppliers, industry contacts and no doubt staff move from one company to the other at times. It would be seemingly impossible for a new ride to be developed in secret - especially when you take into account DA/Building approvals etc etc

From a marketing/financial standpoint it wouldn't be the best move to take either. Green Lantern will already give MW the upper hand over the Summer holidays, it'd be best for them to milk their investment for as long as possible, and then think about LTRR's replacement in 1-3 years. But hey if it does happen I won't be on here whinging about why VRTP didn't think through their strategy :P

From a marketing/financial standpoint it wouldn't be the best move to take either. Green Lantern will already give MW the upper hand over the Summer holidays, it'd be best for them to milk their investment for as long as possible, and then think about LTRR's replacement in 1-3 years. But hey if it does happen I won't be on here whinging about why VRTP didn't think through their strategy :P

I'm not actually sure that Movie World will have the upper hand over the Xmas holidays, especially considering the closure of the Looney Tunes River Ride without a replacement. Yes they will have the Green Lantern Coaster but DW can still push Buzzsaw. Meanwhile Dreamworld will probably be marketing their new Dreamworks kids area. Not only does MW not have a new kids attraction or area to market in response, but in fact with the River Ride closed they have a large gap in this offering. This is why I think it was not a smart decision to close the ride before a replacement was ready to be built (I plan to start a new thread about this issue of Village dark ride closures soon)

I'm not actually sure that Movie World will have the upper hand over the Xmas holidays, especially considering the closure of the Looney Tunes River Ride without a replacement. Yes they will have the Green Lantern Coaster but DW can still push Buzzsaw. Meanwhile Dreamworld will probably be marketing their new Dreamworks kids area. Not only does MW not have a new kids attraction or area to market in response, but in fact with the River Ride closed they have a large gap in this offering. This is why I think it was not a smart decision to close the ride before a replacement was ready to be built (I plan to start a new thread about this issue of Village dark ride closures soon)

Don't forget about the new Spngebob Squqrepants parade and Dora show at seaworld.

I really do think MW is lacking in the family ride area at the moment. I mean 20 years ago they had two 'all ages' dark rides in the Gremlin Adventure and Looney Tunes. Now they have neither. GoGoBoy is spot on in that Dreamworld is going to market the hell out of their Dreamworks tie-in, so a solid family attraction as well as the Green Lantern Coaster, may be needed to beat Dreamworld's current 1-2-3 (shockwave-buzzsaw-dreamworks) Summer lineup.

I really do think MW is lacking in the family ride area at the moment. I mean 20 years ago they had two 'all ages' dark rides in the Gremlin Adventure and Looney Tunes. Now they have neither.

Totally agree. Seaworld is the same at the moment, since they closed both the Bermuda Triangle + the Pirate Ship. I for one love these indoor rides, many of us grew up with them and developed fond memories - the ones that tell a good story are the the sort of rides you never forget! I am really hoping they replace them with new themes and don't take them out altogether. I heard rumours of BT being replaced with an Atlantis theme? Anybody else heard this or more about it? -_- Found this on you tube last night lol... lots of fond memories :lol: http://youtu.be/mDSX0P3A9z4 Sadly most of the captured videos of it online are too dark. Shame they didn't let anyone film it with the lights on (like the one of Scooby Doo by TPR?) before they closed it permanently... would have been good memorabilia! Edited by OceanGirl

• 1 month later...

Totally agree. Seaworld is the same at the moment, since they closed both the Bermuda Triangle + the Pirate Ship. I for one love these indoor rides, many of us grew up with them and developed fond memories - the ones that tell a good story are the the sort of rides you never forget! I am really hoping they replace them with new themes and don't take them out altogether. I heard rumours of BT being replaced with an Atlantis theme? Anybody else heard this or more about it? sleep.gif Found this on you tube last night lol... lots of fond memories laugh.gif http://youtu.be/mDSX0P3A9z4 Sadly most of the captured videos of it online are too dark. Shame they didn't let anyone film it with the lights on (like the one of Scooby Doo by TPR?) before they closed it permanently... would have been good memorabilia!

Would have been awesome to see. It's getting close to almost a year since LTRR's closure so let's see what MW have in store for it.

• 1 month later...

I agree GoGo. I grew up with rides like these and they help fill the variety in the parkz. The backwards section of BT and the lift in LTRR really made these rides stand out. Being a country that frequently has temperatures over 30 degrees the parkz really need a simple indoor river ride for people to get out of the heat while still enjoying rides.

Disagree with you there Gazza. Admittedly, the tick-tock outside the attraction does get on your nerves (although I asked a cast member at one point who said after an hour or so you just don't hear it anymore), and the song inside the attraction is very much "the song that never ends", but it was an attraction built under Walt, with all the small touches sometimes overlooked by modern themed attractions, and for me, annoying as it may be, It is still an attraction I 'love'.

I trully dont understand dark rides of these nature anymore especially with Universal creating a new standard of dark rides that actullay have a core thrill component. AKA Spiderman, Harry Potter and Transformers. I think of all attractions these are the ones that have been left largely un-developed. Sure Tokyo Disney's Honey Hunt is fantastic and like Universal is trying to evolve the dark ride concept. But why MW would re-build a standard boat dark ride just doesn't make sense to me. I find the story telling so one dimensional and the experience completely stagged and controlled. I just dont think from my perspective MW would have the budget big enough to really do a big modern dark ride. I have a gut feeling we will be something other then dark rides in these spaces.