The year of the B&M

Gazza

Thought this was a topic worth starting, but B&M are doing some really good new projects this year that seem a world apart from some of the conservative designs they have done in recent years. At World Joyland in China they're building Starry Night Ripper which is one of their flying coasters, but with an absolutely mental layout, including a 540 degree zero g roll (so it does a full twist on the incline, then a half twist at the top, and on the decline your on your back. Plus its got an inside loop, and a double corkscrew. china2-1.jpgchina1-1.jpgchina3.jpgchina4.jpgchina5.jpgchina6.jpg Credit goes to Gutterflower from TPR for finding the pics. At Gardaland in Italy they are buildingX-Raptor, which will have wing rider trains similar to Furius Baco. Will feature a large corkscrew, and a couple of inline twists: webimage10.jpgxlabs2.jpgGardaland_X-Raptor%2003_1.JPGGardaland-lavori_2010_095.jpg See http://www.gardaland.it/index_genetix.php And at Heide Park in Germany they are building Krake (Translation: Octopus) , a compact version of their dive machine with normal width track rather than the wide type normally used on dive machines, and 3*6 (18) rather than 3*10 (30) seater trains. I guess this one is interesting because of the price tag...10 million EUR (with theming), which is around the $14 mil mark. Well within the budgets of one of our parks if they wanted to build one (And dive machines are ace, so they should :) ) It will go in as part of a Pirate themed area (They already built a pirate themed splash battle this year) and will have the theme that a sea monster has destroyed a seaside settlement. The vertical drop will be into the mouth of the beast. See http://www.killerkrake.de/

This is really really nice Gazza. Really nice because I have Gardaland already pencilled into my diary for June next year :) My diary looks even nicer now
I went to Gardalnd in June, so I'm bummed I missed this one by a year, their other coasters are fairly mediocre (the mine train, Mammut was fun though). It's a really pretty park. Will this be the B & M that really pushes the envelope a lot (like Intamin does often), probably not, but here's hoping. I went on Kumba and Montu last month, they are seriously kick ass B & M's, they don't let up - like Nemesis.

It was a pretty small drop tower, space probe 7's illegitimate midget Italian lovechild. They had this weird revolving observation tower that went up on an arm, if you looked at it from some angles you can't see the arm and it looked like a flying saucer suspended in the air. Ah Gardaland, so many quirky things, Egyptian themed Terminator shooting rides, a Euro Pirates of the Caribbean knockoff... I'm surprised B & M isn't building any hypers for next year, though they're everywhere in US now, and they're a bit expensive for smaller parks. No inverts either. Hopefully the x-raptor concept takes off.

Edited by downunder

It was a pretty small drop tower, space probe 7's illegitimate midget Italian lovechild. They had this weird revolving observation tower that went up on an arm, if you looked at it from some angles you can't see the arm and it looked like a flying saucer suspended in the air. Ah Gardaland, so many quirky things, Egyptian themed Terminator shooting rides, a Euro Pirates of the Caribbean knockoff... I'm surprised B & M isn't building any hypers for next year, though they're everywhere in US now, and they're a bit expensive for smaller parks. No inverts either. Hopefully the x-raptor concept takes off.
Bolliger & Mabillard certain are the Rolls Royce of Roller Coasters and variety of roller coasters surely would be the envy of other manufactures, I for one would like to see more inverteds and floorless coasters from them.

• 4 months later...