Theme Park books

calisota

As I said in my little intro bio, I am a big Disney fan and if there is one thing that a good Disney fan is not lacking for it's books on the subject. Of course these books cover the entire gamut of Disney including the parks. What I'm curious about is if anyone knows of any books about the Gold Coast theme parks. I'm not just interested in knowing about the little pocket guide book type ones but also larger, photo filled books on the history of the parks. Lets face it, Sea World has been around in one guise or another for over 50 years and Dreamworld is turning 30 next year, so there is no lack of history to fill at least one serious book. Greg

I would hesitate, and suggest you double check the copyright warning on such books - they usually contain a blurb regarding the reproduction by any means, and the storage of such information on a retrieval device. Particularly with regard to the current trademark owners for the GC parks, they usually defend their intellectual \ trademarked property fairly vigorously. I don't speak on behalf of Parkz, but I don't think they would be happy to see scanned copies of "for sale" articles given away freely without prior permission. Just my $0.02.

I don't think they would be happy to see scanned copies of "for sale" articles given away freely without prior permission.
I don't think anyone wants to buy reproductions, I personally do not. All I want to see it pehaps some pics or scans of the book. There is no need to complicate matters.
I wasn't complicating matters, and I wasn't talking about "selling reproductions". What I said was an article that was ORIGINALLY FOR SALE being given away in a reproduction, wholly or in part, FREELY would be an issue.
I doubt the parks would take issue with old books that are no longer in production being uploaded...
Copyright on printed work usually lasts a while. A Copyright holder has up to the defined statute to pursue breaches of the act.
Dont worry about scanning the whole book just some of the pictures you reckon are worth a look at.
Which is still reproduction, in whole, or in part.
I agree in that WVTP wouldn't have a problem with a book that is long since out of production.
Thats a pretty big claim to make Spencer. I would say your agreement would come out of the benefit you would obtain rather than any educated legal opinion. I'm not trying to wield a big stick here - just trying to point out a few facts which may be useful for those who may consider doing the above. My current job is in analysing and interpreting law as it relates to a given situation. I've supplied a few facts in relation to this issue below that may be of some use.
Literary and Artistic works are covered by the Berne Convention. (this includes books and photography\imagery) Copyright of these works is automatic, and requires no registration or fee - the moment the works are created, they are copyrighted by the holder of that right. The specific time limits that apply are as follows: Literary works - 50 year statutory limit Photographic works - 25 year statutory limit
Copyright are exclusive statutory rights to exercise control over copying and other exploitation of the works for a specific period of time. The copyright owner is given two sets of rights: an exclusive, positive right to copy and exploit the copyrighted work, or license others to do so, and a negative right to prevent anyone else from doing so without consent, with the possibility of legal remedies if they do.
In Australia, the fair dealing exceptions under the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth) are a limited set of circumstances under which copyrighted material can be legally copied or adapted without the copyright holder's consent. Fair dealing uses are research and study; review and critique; parody and satire; news reportage and the giving of professional advice (i.e. legal advice). Under current Australian law it is still a breach of copyright to copy, reproduce or adapt copyright material for personal or private use without permission from the copyright owner.
I think you will find, if anyone in the publishing house has their head screwed on straight, that within the first couple of pages, or on the back cover, every one of those books is going to say
No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise without the prior permission of the publisher."
I would sure love to see a copy of such a book, however, I don't encourage anyone to breach copyright, especially of organisations with the financial backing of Macquarie Bank and Village Roadshow. Most large companies have the money and the balls to fight a breach of their intellectual property, and usually do. It is no different to downloading unlicensed music via peer-to-peer sharing programs, without paying for it. I know many people do, without thinking about it, but then - those people don't post on a public forum that WE KNOW management of VRTP view "i don't think they'd have a problem with it, let's do it!"

I would sure love to see a copy of such a book, however, I don't encourage anyone to breach copyright, especially of organisations with the financial backing of Macquarie Bank and Village Roadshow. Most large companies have the money and the balls to fight a breach of their intellectual property, and usually do. It is no different to downloading unlicensed music via peer-to-peer sharing programs, without paying for it. I know many people do, without thinking about it, but then - those people don't post on a public forum that WE KNOW management of VRTP view "i don't think they'd have a problem with it, let's do it!"
They certainly could fight it and have every right to request it to be taken down if/when I post it. The fact is I seriously doubt they would care about a book almost 20 years old and no longer in print.
Well anyway, for those of you who didn't know movieworld has a brand new book out now. Which is priced at $5 and even includes a section on the studios next door.
Excellent to hear, I have never seen a souvenir book inside MW before.... Anyone know when the one before this was last made?

In regards to the copyright issue. i agree with AlexB - about "fair dealing" but my interpretation is different. "Fair Dealing" basically means you can copy less that 9.99% of the book to show here with no worries at all. You can actually copy the whole book and show it here if the purpose and character of the copying is not for profit the possibility of obtaining the work commercially. the effect of the use on the potential market for the work is not going to cause a problem. So, my thoughts with my limited legal knowledge. Post up to 9.99% of the book if you want to stay completly out of trouble. Post it all if you think you would be able to prove your use under "Fair Dealing" I personally don't see an issue with it, but if the new MW book which has been spoken about contains infomation and photos from the previous book MW may not take kindly to you posting pictures and info they are trying to sell in a new book. "fair dealing allows research and study; review and critique;" You can post excerpts from the book for the site to review and critique, or use for research and study, which we technically are doing anyway! Regardless, havn't MW asked for things to be removed from this site in the past without going through a huge legal bruhaha? If they have a problem I'm sure they will be on here and ask the mods to remove. Or, the mods may just say no to your posting at all. nate

Edited by aussienetman