Coaster Track - 2005 Rumours

thunder001

On the rumor posted before, it appears that there is a new coaster for the 2005 season somewhere in Australia. My source in the metal plant in NSW has told me that there will be construction on a new coaster in Oz in 2005, and a overseas company are looking for 1st class welders to help in it's construction. I thought this to be strange as I would asume that the company would allready have someone in Australia to do the welding of the ride...please remember this is only a rumor.

On the rumor posted before, it appears that there is a new coaster for the 2005 season somewhere in Australia.  My source in the metal plant in NSW has told me that there will be construction on a new coaster in Oz in 2005, and a overseas company are looking for 1st class welders to help in it's construction. I thought this to be strange as I would asume that the company would allready have someone in Australia to do the welding of the ride...please remember this is only a rumor.
What company is it and where's the location as i'm looking for a job. If you know any more please let me know Thank you

Sorry Guys, but I don't get told any of the little bits. Just what is going on in general, and even if I did get told something like what company or country, I don't think that I would post it as it could get my contact into trouble and I don't want that to happen. Please remember that this is all rumor at this stage.

Intamin do their own steel. Vekoma do their own steel. B&M outsource (in Europe it is done by Giovanola in Switzerland, USA I believe in southern Ohio). S&S-Arrow do their own, but they're not doing much coaster work outside of the wooden coaster department. Any other manufacturers are too insignificant to mention, and you'd be surprised at how little many of the companies, even smaller ones, outsource. While you mentioned welders, it's interesting to note that Vekoma actually put 12 hours of welding into each and every joint and connection when building the track and supports.

Hey Richard Very interesting info you've got there. Just curious where did you get all that from? I was a little confused with what you were saying about B&M? Where abouts are B&M actualy located? Are you saying that get Giovanola to manufacture their track for Europe installations and do it themselves for the US or use Giovanola for both? If so, where do they do their own? With all that in mind what are your thoughts on this rumour?

B&M are located in Switzerland. They design the rides, but don't do the actual manufacturering of the rides themselves. For all their European coasters, Giovanola do the steelwork. I've just looked it up to check for myself, and in America it's done by Southern Ohio Fabricators. I know they also buy their control systems and PLCs and whatnot from another company, and I'd assume the same thing for their braking systems. Whether the trains are actually built by them I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure they're all shipped from Europe. Everything is B&M's own design (with the exception of the control systems), but it's a lot cheaper to outsource. You buy a ride package from B&M, like most companies. They'll do everything from ground work to shipping/transportation of parts as well as the design and construction of the ride - mostly through subcontractors. As for what I make of the track rumours. At this stage, I can't make much of it. With the amount of information that is available, it could be anything - maybe not even coaster specific.

Interesting, I never knew that. B&M must have extemely strict quality control then over its outside manufacturing for its products to be so high a quality. That makes me even more curious as to Thunders remarks about high quality welding. If what your saying is true about them sourcing production locally, them seeking out an Aussie manufacturer for an installation could be quite possible.

• 2 weeks later...

During the 80's and 90's, to reduce their costs they outsourced their steel fabrication. Big Dipper was built in Newcastle as you said, as well as Melbourne, under Arrow Dynamics' former structure, which was changed a few years later to bring it back in-house. The quality of the end product wasn't what they would have liked, so in around 1996 or 1997 they went back in-house. Rides like their Mad Mouse or Tennessee Tornado were some of the first ones to be truly built by Arrow again. Arrow was of course (unfortunately) purchased by S&S last year. S&S do their own manufacturing as well, so there's no confusion there.