Bermuda Triangle is officially closed... Now what?

reginaphalange

My bet's going with a Water Coaster a la "Atlantis" in the SW Parks in the USA.. It's a great ride, is fast paced, would be an Aussie first, is family friendly with great capacity.. For those that may recall, VTP have already looked into one of these proposed for the front of the park but was scrapped in favour of Jet Rescue. As much as I would love to see a replacement dark ride for the area (perhaps an Atlantis theme?) I know VTP management are moving away from attractions that have high ongoing upkeep costs. Too many moving parts, details and features require so much on going attention and expense long after the attraction is the 'main reason' for people to visit. Both Bermuda & Looney tunes are the last of these and whilst one has already landed on the scrap heap, the other's future is also soon to come to an end, you can be sure of that.

Edited by MickeyD

As much as I would love to see a replacement dark ride for the area (perhaps an Atlantis theme?) I know VTP management are moving away from attractions that have high ongoing upkeep costs. Too many moving parts, details and features require so much on going attention and expense long after the attraction is the 'main reason' for people to visit. Both Bermuda & Looney tunes are the last of these and whilst one has already landed on the scrap heap, the other's future is also soon to come to an end, you can be sure of that.
While I understand what you are saying I have to say that is a very short-sighted view, if that is indeed the view the parks have adopted. Dark rides really bring something special to a park and create a true THEME park. They obviously have wide appeal otherwise we wouldn't see theme parks around the world continuing to build them. If our Gold Coast parks no longer create new dark rides, it is quite possible we actually will begin to see some of the new parks in nearby Asia begin to take market share

My bet's going with a Water Coaster a la "Atlantis" in the SW Parks in the USA.. It's a great ride, is fast paced, would be an Aussie first, is family friendly with great capacity..
I'd love to see one of these rides done as a dark ride. It's such a good ride system and I'm not aware of any that have really been done well, Journey to Atlantis in Orlando being the best I know of, but that was such an odd mish mash of a ride that it missed the mark for me. If you can have the same ride system as that but with a Bermuda like story telling element, then I think that would be a real winner. Sadly of course, you're right and if they do go down the water coaster path, it will probably turn out more like Sea World Cali's ride (which like it's namesake in Orlando is a mish mash ride that misses the mark, but with pretty much no themeing), or like the overly complex and utterly pointless Atlantis ride in Texas.

• 3 months later...

I believe nothing really has happened with the site so far and wouldn't be at all surprised if management have yet to decide what exactly to do with it next. Pure speculation but my guess is they have narrowed their options down to 3 choices. In the past Guest Services have conducted surveys with visitors gaining opinion on what they would like to see next, as yet nothing like this has happened

what i find is strange is that when i went last, the current park map in park not online said there was a new attraction coming 2011. So if its major work it should have began since the whole volcano was removed from the map as well so im thinking along the lines that work has started indoors so to keep us all out but the real concern i have is how are they going to move the volcano since it is huge and the jet rescue is blocking access for trucks etc it would have to be smashed in to pieces tho i would love to see it stay maybe in a new area

the real concern i have is how are they going to move the volcano since it is huge and the jet rescue is blocking access for trucks etc it would have to be smashed in to pieces tho i would love to see it stay maybe in a new area

If they manage to reuse the volcanoes for the next attraction, fine. If not, they have to go. The idea of moving them somewhere else in the park is (to me) simply cringe worthy. Incidentally, when they built the ride, there was a lake running from the Train bridge all the way back to the resort, site access won't be a major issue.

I have no idea why they'd close the attraction down if they weren't going to replace it asap. Sea World, like Movie World, doesn't exactly have a very large selection of rides

For me the big clue is that when the ride originally closed, it only closed for maintenance, and had a reopening date. From the outside looking in, it sounds like they found something very broken and decided it was either beyond repair, or so expensive it was pretty much beyond repair. I don't think they'd close a ride in the lead up to the summer holidays for no reason. If that's true (although it's all speculation), I'd go further and suggest they may not have a replacement in mind straight away, which explains why it's taking so long for any sort of construction to start. Personally, I'd be surprised if there was a new attraction in that building/location this year, and I'd be amazed if any new attraction was even on a similar scale to Bermuda. I do like surprises though, so lets see what happens :)

what i find is strange is that when i went last, the current park map in park not online said there was a new attraction coming 2011. So if its major work it should have began since the whole volcano was removed from the map as well so im thinking along the lines that work has started indoors so to keep us all out but the real concern i have is how are they going to move the volcano since it is huge and the jet rescue is blocking access for trucks etc it would have to be smashed in to pieces tho i would love to see it stay maybe in a new area

This is what you'd be refering to? (see attachment) untitled.bmp SW_ParkMap-Apr11.pdf

If it was an Atlantis theme I would love to see the volcanoes stay, however only if the fire could come back, however I don't see that happening so whatever they build I would be hoping that it can be something iconic since it is seen from the majority of the park it can be seen on the Gold Coast Highway when driving through Labrador and Southport and it is in what I consider the middle of the park. I mean the park really did a great job on the old waterpark, I'm hoping for their 40th birthday they pull out all stops for it, whether I think they will or not I am definitely hoping. SW management while your at it can you please re-do your games section be done like a sea side boardwalk instead of something that was slapped up. boardwalk-games-1.jpg Oh and management for their birthday bring back the ski show even if for just one show for the anniversary, after all it is its history and how the park started??

Edited by Original

• 4 weeks later...

Check this out:

Basically, its built by Mack and you ride in submarines suspended from an overhead track, and go through a real aquarium. I imagine a ride like this would be easier to maintain than the Disneyland Finding Nemo ride because all the moving parts are out of the water, and the subs could just be hoisted right up if need be...... Would be cool if SW finally got a full blown oceanarium (Like in Sydney, Melbourne and Mooloolobah) and had this thing running around inside.

post-88-0-62456200-1305964241_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gazza

Interesting idea Gazza. Meanwhile I still find it strange that both Movie World AND Sea World have closed their major dark river ride attractions at the same time - both without any apparent imminent replacement. This will surely be a consideration for families when deciding which passes to purchase. After easily beating Dreamworld in terms of revenue and attendance over the last year, it seems that Village have dropped the ball and the tables have turned. The closure of these 2 rides with no other announcements does nothing to help their cause

What i find funny is you all jump to the quickest possible conclusion. There is still plenty of time for VRTP to create the hype needed for what ever plans they have. Just because dreamworld have started a little earlier means nothing. Might i add they really havn't made much of a hype about what they are doing anyway. In my opinion i really don't think that Dreamworlds marketing group are the smartest or most professional bunch around. They allow a medico theme park enthusiast site, Thrillz.com to release there statement about "shockwave" before they did. Oh and didn't that get the tabloids turning!!!! Sarcasm intended! Not to mention nothing has even been really said about septembers attraction. What we need to do is take a step back. Look at it from the publics prospective. What has been said about this years up and coming attractions? One thing Shockwave, which has only really been released on there site. Everything else that we speculate and talk about is spoken here. Its not heard by the general publics ears. Id also like to add that i really doubt Bermuda triangle and LTRR are going to be huge impacts on attendance. Little fact for you, One of our Gold Coast parks see's 2% of there total attendance each day as full paying customers. The rest, well most of the rest are the cheap pass holders, Who in fact probably couldn't care at this point in time about those attractions being closed as a impacting decision on going. As there here to use the product they purchased. So now we could turn this whole thing around and look at it from the view you guys above are coming from. Eureka mine ride, used to be one of the Big thrill rides. Can we prove that because of its closure have we seen a decline in there parks attendance??? Has park attendance been down and going down since the date of its closure because you know it was a major attraction and i think that leaving a major ride shut for reasons unknown will damage their attendance. The point to my rather large rant is WAIT! Lets just see what VRTP have to offer this summer. Lets see what fantastic night time events WBMW have on this year. Lets see what future plans get unveiled for the companies properties before we go saying that the tables have turned. Because i have faith they will stay exactly the way they are now. One thing i tell you im waiting on that dreamworld hasn't delivered, expansion to WWW. But we shall leave that one for another time :D

Edited by S.Willie

You never know they may make a 'Bermuda Triangle 2' and relaunch it like the Tower Of Terror. They are both iconic rides and Bermuda Triangle's opening in 1994 did cause Sea World to have record attendance compared to when it was 'Lassiter's Lost Mine' which used the same ride system. Bermuda Triangle is my favourite ride so far even though I didn't ride it in it's full glory and i will sorely miss it.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

What i find funny is you all jump to the quickest possible conclusion. There is still plenty of time for VRTP to create the hype needed for what ever plans they have. Just because dreamworld have started a little earlier means nothing. Might i add they really havn't made much of a hype about what they are doing anyway. In my opinion i really don't think that Dreamworlds marketing group are the smartest or most professional bunch around. They allow a medico theme park enthusiast site, Thrillz.com to release there statement about "shockwave" before they did. Oh and didn't that get the tabloids turning!!!! Sarcasm intended! Not to mention nothing has even been really said about septembers attraction. What we need to do is take a step back. Look at it from the publics prospective. What has been said about this years up and coming attractions? One thing Shockwave, which has only really been released on there site. Everything else that we speculate and talk about is spoken here. Its not heard by the general publics ears. Id also like to add that i really doubt Bermuda triangle and LTRR are going to be huge impacts on attendance. Little fact for you, One of our Gold Coast parks see's 2% of there total attendance each day as full paying customers. The rest, well most of the rest are the cheap pass holders, Who in fact probably couldn't care at this point in time about those attractions being closed as a impacting decision on going. As there here to use the product they purchased. So now we could turn this whole thing around and look at it from the view you guys above are coming from. Eureka mine ride, used to be one of the Big thrill rides. Can we prove that because of its closure have we seen a decline in there parks attendance??? Has park attendance been down and going down since the date of its closure because you know it was a major attraction and i think that leaving a major ride shut for reasons unknown will damage their attendance. The point to my rather large rant is WAIT! Lets just see what VRTP have to offer this summer. Lets see what fantastic night time events WBMW have on this year. Lets see what future plans get unveiled for the companies properties before we go saying that the tables have turned. Because i have faith they will stay exactly the way they are now. One thing i tell you im waiting on that dreamworld hasn't delivered, expansion to WWW. But we shall leave that one for another time :D

The difference between Dreamworld and Movieworld and Sea world is that Dreamworld has other major rides the take the extended attendance. While at the others they don't. Movieworld has other rides but no major rides for kids apart from the coaster, then Sea world basically doesn't have many major rides at all anyway with the two roller coasters. One thing I don't get about the Australian parks is that they wait until a month or two before it opens to announce it. When if they did it months before hand they would get mass amounts of attention with people talking about it. While they get a slight increase in attendance from people looking to get photos. It would basically be cheap advertisement. For example Universal Studios with the recent Despicable Me attraction at Universal Studios Florida where they had a build up for months surrounding the basic attraction and that was as basic as it needs to be just simple posts on Facebook and twitter.