Disk'o' for Aussie World

Gazza

First things first, I didn't have my camera with me, so no pics. But a red and black Zampera Disk'o' is in pieces in a fenced off area of the Aussie World car park (North of the entrance). It will be the 24 person version according to the sticker on the parts. The colour scheme was red and black, so my bet is that it will be themed to a red back spider. Any Sunshine Coast locals who want to go and grab some pics?

• 2 weeks later...
post-1470-1297145392_thumb.jpgpost-1470-1297145433_thumb.jpgpost-1470-1297145466_thumb.jpgpost-1470-1297145498_thumb.jpg ITs called the RED BACK. should be open in time for Easter according to the guy at the front gate. Also to come this year at Aussie World is a Log ride similar to Dreamworlds. This is to be built hopefully before the end of the year. I think Its great to see another park investing in some new attractions. Maybe one day Aussie World might be able to compete with the big guns.

• 3 weeks later...

This is from Aussie World's March newsletter...

DID YOU KNOW? .....there's a fair bit of construction going on at Aussie World at the moment and if you're driving past you should be able to see the growth of our new attraction! It's got a lot to do with why our staff are wearing a Redback Spider on their uniform. Be prepared everyone, the GIANT REDBACK is going to be the Sunshine Coast's most thrilling ride and is opening soon!
Nothing we didn't already know, but I think it is great that they are telling people what's coming, rather than the cloak and dagger approach used by the Gold Coast parks. Still no date, but as Troy said, sounds like they should be up and running for Easter. I will be driving past on Friday so I will try and grab some pics if I have time.

The ride is up and completed. Apparently the park has spent $2 million on the two attractions, with the second (pressumed log ride) expected opening to be in September. http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story...-fans-sunshine/ AUSSIE World hopes to attract older visitors with the introduction of a new thrill ride. The Giant Redback will be opened to the public on April 1, with the Palmview theme park confident it will lure more visitors. Following a special preview of the ride yesterday, Aussie World general manager David Thompson said the ride was part of a concerted push to broaden the venue’s appeal. As part of that effort, Mr Thompson said a “huge” new family ride would be launched in September. Aussie World had spent $2 million on securing the new rides. “Our ride demographic used to be two to eight. Then it used to be two to 12,” he said. “With the addition of some rides, it now gives us further opportunity to grow our age demographic.” It was essential, Mr Thompson said, that Aussie World continued to cater for its customers as they got older. “We need bigger rides in the park and this is certainly a bigger ride … we’re investing in our future,” Mr Thompson said. Mr Thompson said the Giant Redback was not the biggest thrill ride going around, but would be the biggest adrenaline-rush ride at Aussie World. He said the bid to attract more visitors was part of a push to help build tourism on the Sunshine Coast and be “positive about it”. Like most tourism operators on the Coast, he said Aussie World had struggled in December and January due to the wet weather and floods. For the first time in a decade, the venue did not record a spike in visitors during that period. However, the business rebounded by recording a 2% rise in visitor numbers in February compared to the same month last year. Despite the failure to record growth in December and January, Mr Thompson said one of the business’ other assets, the Ettamogah Pub, enjoyed “booming” trade over that period. SCN_04-03-2011_EGN_11_SCN030311NEWRIDE3_t325.jpg

I certainly hope they do a bit more to theme the front of it - other attractions there are obviously travelling versions that still have the cheaply painted vinyl sidings. I'm not expecting a cordon bleu product for a sausage sanga pricetag, but there are so many little things they could do to make all of their attractions look so much better.

Stopped off at Aussie World on the way past on Sunday. Ride was still not complete, but I would say that all the rain that they have had on the Sunshine Coast would've held things up by a couple of days. The ride is right on the park's boundary on the Northern side of the Ettamogah Pub, so it is clearly visible from the highway. I have included a couple of photos although they are iPhone jobs, so probably not the best. post-754-1299555502_thumb.jpg post-754-1299555730_thumb.jpg post-754-1299555890_thumb.jpg Although I didn't get a photo, just inside the entry area behind the counters was a large poster showing a conceptual image of the Giant Redback and the new log ride, which looks similar to the old Flume Ride that used to sit in Hanna Barberra land (themed to the Flinstones?), albeit with a themed structure at the top. It also appeared to have a kid's play area at the bottom next to the splashdown area, presumably so kids can run in and get drenched as the boats come down. The guy at the counter, who was one of the friendliest and most helpful themepark staff I've ever encountered, confirmed that the log ride should be open around September. I'm planning to take my family down there in the next few weeks. Will try and hold out until the Disk'O is running though.

• 4 months later...

Strop did you end up going? Also the log flume is definetly going ahead and will be themed very well and have a somewhat similar layout to Rocky hollow altough it will have a shorter ride part and same height drop Edit: does anyone know what ever happened to the old Billy carts ( downhill carts ) they had. My guess would be insurance would be too much

Edited by www worker

• 1 month later...