2 new rides for Dreamworld in 2011

GoGoBoy

^ Agreed. They could've actually built this ride into the park's existing themed space, like say, oh, I dunno, where the chairlift station used to be, and really expand the area nicely and add to the Eureka area as a whole. Instead, they've figured out the one possible way to make their park's entrance feel more cheaper and crowded by adding a ride in right on the border of the Eureka "themed" space. It's like they've become Disneyland trapped inside Cedar Fair's body. My assumption is that there's only a few really passionate and committed people in Dreamworld's hierarchy, while the rest are more entranced on shareholders and returns, hence why when you walk through the Tower of Terror it feels like literally every single guest must've had a blade knife in their pocket - names are etched everywhere, things not working, all less then a year out from opening. If anything I get this feeling like Dreamworld's listening, and for the most part if it's even a remotely risky investment to the shareholders it's not worth acting upon. We've been bitching about the bush ranger show and the Mine Ride for how long now? Or the look of the Wipeout? Cyclone queue*? At least with Disneyland's peoplemover it's not a ridiculous eyesore like half of the park has indeed become (particularly the Mine Ride). *I totally get the park has great excuses for all of these problems, and they're great at making excuses too - it'd just be nice instead of copping out they'd do things properly, fix or burn the Mine ride, make a new bush ranger show, add some water effects to the Wipeout, and actually use the Cyclone queue.

"Attraction investment of over $17m across 3 years ( Shockwave , SpongeBob Kit Flyer, Alien vs Predator, Buzzsaw thrill ride (opening Sept 2011) , Exotic species display , all weather 400pax stadium , 3D digital cinema , Wedgie water ride"

$17 million bought all of this?? Wowie they sure had a strict budget didn't they? I seem to recall WWF alone costing this much? Anyway this was surely a pretty good clue that they were only ever getting the cheaper version (XT150) - mind you it will still add magnificently to DW's skyline and no doubt be a huge hit for the Park regardless

Whilst Buzzsaw isn't the best ride out there, it sure is an eye catcher! Especially due to its placement right next to the car park. While I would of preferred (and sure many others would of) them utilize more space and create an XT450, I do think this will be one of those 'iconic' structures at Dreamworld. I don't know if it will be as big a draw card at TOTII though. I think TOTII drew the large crowds like it did because it was already an iconic ride. Off topic: Dreamworld tower has always been Dreamworld's 'Landmark'. What if something was to go taller than it? And I don't like how Buzzsaw is blocking the view of some of the Dreamworld Tower from some POVs. [/rant].

They'd never have the budget...

Good Point. What I don't get is the investment of $16 million in 1996/1997 for TOT 1, and now the small investments of $6 or $7 mill at a time. Like if we go $16 mill then by 4% inflation each year (even more because they could of invested that for interest). Then, 16 x 1.04^15 (15 years). That's almost 29 million $$ invested in today's money on TOTI!! Why don't we see those investments anymore? PS: Sorry if that whole 'today' and 'past' money thing is confusing. :P Hopefully you get what I mean. Edited by Bmull19

Actually, I'm not too concerned. Just keep hoping for the future.

But if they haven't built an 'expensive' ride since 1995 (GD was cheap because it was tacked on the side) its been 16 years. So why would the next 16 be any different? At least VRTP has a consistent track record of doing big spend blockbuster rides.

But Gazza, even now they are kind of in the same boat as it would seem they are spending similar money to Dreamworld compared to money spend on rides like WWF back in the day. Would certainly seem the Aussie market has changed.

I understand the aussie market has changed, but with Australia expanding along with the Gold Coast in terms of tourism etc etc (I'm talking the last 15 years, I know the recession + natural disasters have affected Aus in recent years) then shouldn't our theme parks be getting bigger and better too? In America they are... In Europe they are... In Asia they DEFINiTELY are... Why not Australia? Why is the Aussie theme park market going down hill and making cheaper and smaller rides rather than bigger and better like our tourism. I think it's not so much the aussie market that's changed, but it's the way the parks are being managed and this is leading most of us to believe it's just "the market". Anyway that's just my 5 cents

I think the parks feel like they have the market secured because Asia had very little quality rides so they don't need to compete with anyone so they don't build expensive rides, I believe that the management believes that the new parks in asia will not affect them that much. I would say soon they will release that the parks will take away many of their guests who go to those parks which are of much better quality. Another thing that they need to release is that with the Australian Dollar so high and still rising it making it cheaper from Australians to go overseas, this will harm the parks because the Gold Coast is one of the biggest spots for holidays because it is cheap, while going overseas has been expensive but now with cheaper prices overseas in audition to the strong dollar there will be a lot more Australians skipping the gold coast and going to Asia or the US. Also the dollar will also hurt international guests because they will go to parks closer to them because they are cheaper and better. Will all this you would think that the park would start building higher quality rides to attract guest and not just assume that they will keep going back if they keep adding cheap attractions.

Also the dollar will also hurt international guests because they will go to parks closer to them because they are cheaper and better.

Exactly. I just thought it'd be interesting to note: 1 day to Movie World (adult) is $80 AUD 1 day to Dreamworld is $75 AUD 1 day to DISNEYLAND is $73 AUD 1 day to Magic Mountain is $58 AUD Why would you go to our parks if you're an international tourist? I could go to Disneyland for 1 day, which has more rides, more shows, better themed and longer hours for $7 less than Movie World and $2 less than Dreamworld. But us locals do have the cheap deals now. Imagine the world without them. [/rant#2]

What is it with Australia and Disk'O rides this year? There's going to be one at the Ekka now too

That traveling disk'o has been around for a couple of years And I never realised how high the ride will actually be until i saw those updates definitely a head turner for cars traveling down the highway will change dreamworld's skyline Edited by www worker

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I understand it but much smarter people than I are in charge of these decisions. Clearly they see that less capex is required for greater return, which appears to be true. Obviously 15 years ago the companies found they needed to spend more money to bring the revenue in. Now obviously not. At the end of the day these parks at just businesses with share holders to answer to and they aren't going to spend a cent more than they have to bring a return. Same goes for Disney, etc So clearly it is the market at play here.

Why won't they spend $16 million on a new ride now? Shareholders! They want maximum return for their investment. If you have a cheaper ride that will gain a similar amount of interest to a multimillion dollar mega coaster which do you think will be chosen?

Well we should all buy $1000 dollars worth of shares and get our input into all those rich fat cats :) . Still I'd prefer them not to add a ride for 3 or 4 years and save up for a proper full circuit coaster not some one trick pony crap

Well we should all buy $1000 dollars worth of shares and get our input into all those rich fat cats :) . Still I'd prefer them not to add a ride for 3 or 4 years and save up for a proper full circuit coaster not some one trick pony crap

What is the minimum purchase for ardent shares anyway?

What is the minimum purchase for ardent shares anyway?

I don't believe there is a minimum but having 2000 shares or more gives you some sort of benefits 50% dw and www entry's and some other stuff ( q1, amf etc) but once again at 1.300 per share that should get about 700 something shares for $1000 so not enough to make a real impact anyway. Sorry that was a bit off topic...

I don't believe there is a minimum but having 2000 shares or more gives you some sort of benefits 50% dw and www entry's and some other stuff ( q1, amf etc) but once again at 1.300 per share that should get about 700 something shares for $1000 so not enough to make a real impact anyway. Sorry that was a bit off topic...

Thankyou

Agree about the 'Big 7' thing. If you're going to include Motocoaster in the 'big 7' you may as well include Rocky Hollow and make it big 8. With Motocoaster having a higher height restriction, it doesn't even work as a "lets have a 'big ride' that kids can go on so they don't think they're missing out" thing. Having passed that though, it all sounds OK to me. It confirms that it's just the standard model like we've been saying all along, but it does sounds as if there will be some attempt at themeing and a back story, which is perfect for that corner of the park, and hopefully it turns out well. Capacity issues and the fact it's only a standard model aside, I am looking forward to having a go in September, hopefully it'll turn out to be a good ride.