2 new rides for Dreamworld in 2011

GoGoBoy

Agreed. Time Machine/Led Zeppelin looks like everything is in too much of a straight line....It's not twisty like a proper B&M. At the same time, I've heard B&Ms hypers are pretty mediocre compared to their Intamin counterparts..
I do agree with that. They are always trimmed to death... I know a lot of coasters are trimmed, but with B&Ms, you REALLY notice it when they're trimmed. I've been on a few 'average' B&Ms (Raging Bull is a great example of this) that would be x10 better if they weren't trimmed. Intimidator was trimmed, but didn't overly affect the airtime/pacing. The Hulk, one of the rougher B&Ms that I've been on, is still one of my favourites. It has a GREAT layout. Something like this would be good (but would never get it on a $7mil budget!). Tell you the truth, I have no idea what to expect. A decent attraction/ride could be made out of $7 mill, but it wouldn't be a roller coaster/huge thrill ride. If the park was really creative they could pull it off... but maybe aim a little lower, and not waste all of their money on the ride and just smack a few signs up for theming.

Depends how they went about it, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they found the perfect ride for the park and it happened to only cost $7million, rather than deciding $7million was the budget and trying to find something that they could buy with that. So what's good for $7mil? About the best thing I can think of coaster wise is a mid size unthemed Euro-fighter, but that's about it. Over at the house of Intamin $7million will buy you a rocket coaster about the same size as Kanonen. Also within the budget is the distinctly 'meh' looking S&S El Loco, the -there will soon be one of those at one of the most popular overseas parks that Australians visit- Windseeker or a Wild Mouse. So what else is there? Inspire me here people! :)

I would have to disagree with you Ash about BM's. There looping, floorless and inverted are superior to any intamin looping roller coasters. Intamin only have Bizarro and Expedition G Force and i do like there mega lites. I agree raging bull and apollo's chariot are trimmed to death but is that the manufactures doing? the other two i have been on Nitro and Silver Star are up there with the best. On getting a wooden coaster, you dont need a large footprint, check out cannonball express at Indianna beach and Avalanche/hellcat both have small footprints. Oh i like the Lion exhibit idea as long as they take care of them, sounds like there getting the lions from Mogo zoo near bateman's bay.

Edited by stdragon03

I would have to disagree with you Ash about BM's. There looping, floorless and inverted are superior to any intamin looping roller coasters. Intamin only have Bizarro and Expedition G Force and i do like there mega lites.
I was referring to their 'airtime' coasters (Mega/Hypers), not inverted, floorless, looping coasters. B&M are my favourite coaster manufacturer, but some of their coasters lack some kick in the airtime department... thanks partly to the trims. Of course, there will be coasters that defy this and are great with or without the trims.

I agree raging bull and apollo's chariot are trimmed to death but is that the manufactures doing?
Yes it is. Pretty much wherever they have an airtime hill they design in a set of trims in to regulate the speed over it. Eg, check out this pic of Raptor at Gardaland, it has a trim brake on the hill already, designed in: webImage3.jpg Edited by Gazza

more than anything I will be happy to see a coaster built for DW that delivers thrills from start to finish and not one that is over and done with in 5 seconds flat. Some of you would remember the discrace that was the Thunderbolt? Rough as guts and after the 1st 2 loops, boring as bat shit, not to mention painful to ride. They seem to have repeated the same mistake with the lacklustre layout of the MC, at least without the bumps. This time around I hope they get the formula right. I don't care so much what the make or model, whether it be steel or wood. What is important to me is that it's fast paced, smooth, comfortable, with steep drops, tight corners, airtime, g's and neg g's. A ride that builds momentum as it careens. Not one that fizzles and limps over the finish line

Edited by MickeyD

Why is it in 1997 dreamworld spend 16mil on tower of terror, yet 2011 there 30th year plus no rides since moto coaster, and they are spending only 7mil? Y cant we have something Big to say hey LOOK at us, like everyone did when TOT was first opended in 97 world record holder then followed by Giant drop! also world record holder. Comon DW we love ya

Again though, the only thing we have any clue about is the budget (and that could change as well). If the ride turns out crap then we'll see that when it opens, but it's a bit pointless talking about how dissapointing it might be when we don't know what it is. In the meantime I'll give them the benifit of the doubt that they know what they're doing.

Some of you would remember the discrace that was the Thunderbolt? Rough as guts and after the 1st 2 loops, boring as bat shit, not to mention painful to ride.

Why is it in 1997 dreamworld spend 16mil on tower of terror, yet 2011 there 30th year plus no rides since moto coaster, and they are spending only 7mil? Y cant we have something Big to say hey LOOK at us, like everyone did when TOT was first opended in 97 world record holder then followed by Giant drop! also world record holder.
I think you've hit the nail on the head with the comment above. Understandably they can't build a ride of that scale every few years - but it has been almost 15 years now! Keeping this in mind I think we were all expecting a major signature attraction for their 30th anniversary. The ToT is probably responsible for much of the parks success over the last 15 years. They can't keep relying on it forever

Why can Intamin do it without trims but not B&M? Bad design? I'd think that B&M would learn to maybe make their hills different after most of their coasters need trims...
B&M as mentioned seem to be more controlled and knowledgeable when it comes to designing. I can name two Intamins that have been modified recently due to reasons sighted as g-forces. Sure B&M trim but I cannot recall them changing elements/sections of a ride due to what seems to be unplanned/unexpected high g-forces.

Its cool talking about the Intamin and BM debate however like someone said they supposedly have six million to spend, Its about right for a good wooden coaster. I would applaud them if they went that way, actually just occured to me the GCI Ozark Wild Cat at the now defunct Celebration City has a small footprint and its a great wooden coaster, It could easily packed up and sent here for under six million. wow i didn't know they had some White Lions at Canberra Zoo. I must go and have a look

I hope this is wrong.... http://www.soundwavefestival.com/node/9862...#comment-261682 "I now have permission to tell you what it is....Soundwave revolution is the new ride at dreamworld sponsored by soundwave touring. As you can imagine it involves lots of spinning" Do they really need more spin & spews? Also, what spin and spew fits a $6m budget?

I would prefer to avoid the whole spinning rides? There's three major ones of them already (Wipeout, well, upside down twisty stuff, Claw and Reef Diver). I have a feeling it'll just be the Vortex coming back just renamed. I don't see a tour sponsoring a whole major thrill ride, I just see them sponsoring a small resuscitated ride. What do you guys think?