2 new rides for Dreamworld in 2011

GoGoBoy

You have to remember that right next to Shockwave, there is an Enterprise themed to being a Submarine, and a Gyro Swing which is themed as a claw. Somehow I don't think the themeing for Shockwave will be cohesive, or something that's noticed by guests. Having said that, given the surrounds, I'm not convinced it really has to be, so long as it's well presented it'll fit the area well IMHO

They did make SOME attempt to give the Claw an ocean/beach theme - albeit quite weak. It is supposed to be a monster which attacked a beach camping ground. Do they still have the 'community noticeboard' out the front? They also incorporated some beachy theming such as the thatched roofs on the control booths and the landscaping and vegetation

Surely it would be obvious that when you build a new ride in a certain area of the park, the ride should match that theme. It's just common theme park sense. Oh hang on, this is Dreamworld we are talking about

I absoultely agree. I wished that theme parks kept their orginal themed areas and when they decide to build new rides/atttractions that they either incorporate it into an existing themed area, build a whole new area in some vacant land or retheme an existing area. Retheming a whole new area is cheaper than building a new one but they shouldnt put rides in areas that dont match the theme. AVPX and Motocoaster at Dreamworld are my two examples as they dont relate to the ocean or to 'Rivertown'. The old Blue Lagoon water park area could be totally refurbished and used as a new themed area. The Vintage Cars could have remained where they were and they could have put the Motocoaster where Blue Lagoon was with its station where the old Skylink Chairlift started in Gold Rush Country or they could have put AVPX there where every other temporary ride like Nightmares as been. I think Shockwave's theme is alright just hopefully the public can understand it, like the Tower of Terror's theme (both I and II) I still can't understand. And whatever ride they are building at the old bus parking area i hope is themed to Gold Rush Country because i presume its entrance will be where the Helipad's entrance is. Edited by Jamberoo Fan

They did make SOME attempt to give the Claw an ocean/beach theme - albeit quite weak. It is supposed to be a monster which attacked a beach camping ground. Do they still have the 'community noticeboard' out the front? They also incorporated some beachy theming such as the thatched roofs on the control booths and the landscaping and vegetation

That's sort of the point I'm getting at though. The themeing in that whole area is weak, and really quite abstract. The community noticeboard and other things like that are still there, but I think Claw is well presented with some vague themeing elements, and I don't think you can expect more than that for Shockwave. I also think giving a Disk 'O anything beyond a vague sense of theme with no story or anything else is really the best way to do one in that part of the park. Any story just comes across as hokey, and if anything distracts from the ride. Just present it well, give it a vague theme and it'll fit in fine with the other rides in the area, which are presented well and have a vague theme. The Gold Rush Coaster on the other hand I really hope does get a decent themeing job. That area of the park actually is well themed, and it would be nice to see whatever goes into there keep up with that standard.

On Dreamworld's website, they have changed the dates for Thunder River Rapids maintenance to: "The following rides and attractions will be closed for scheduled maintenance: Thunder River Rapids under maintenance from 2 May" No date is mentioned relating to the conclusion of it's maintenance. Any update on what is happening near Thunder River Rapids?

I saw Dreamworld's Twitter just then - Thunder River Rapids re-opens on Monday. Just saying in case it has any effect on your views on what is happening in the bus parking/helipad area. Thunder River Rapids had delays in its maintaining.

Looks like building frames. The big cross beems like old factory roof supports. Like the ones here ADDITION-20090630-01.jpg So we might be getting a new building or these may of be removed from inside the old eureka mine mountain and been replaced.(I remember people saying they could hear work being done inside.)

Edited by Cruiseshipfan

Get any pics taken over the fence? I'm genuinely stumped though, I don't know of any coaster manufacturer (If it is a coaster that is) that uses that style of narrow, cross braced support.

Sorry Gazza. Took these pics from inside my car as I ambled past. My first reaction was building supports as well.. No visible stickers on them and no signs screaming coaster supports

B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M B&M :rolleyes:

I saw Dreamworld's Twitter just then - Thunder River Rapids re-opens on Monday. Just saying in case it has any effect on your views on what is happening in the bus parking/helipad area. Thunder River Rapids had delays in its maintaining.

Strange - 3 days after Thunder River Rapids reopened, Dreamworld has posted this on its maintenance page: "Rapid Ride annual maintenance and for construction 25 May to 22 June 2011" Would the construction be for the supports laying out front of the park? Because come to think of it the current colour of it would suit Gold Rush Country. I feel weird being pretty much the only person looking at the maintenance pages lol Edited by Jamberoo Fan

Strange - 3 days after Thunder River Rapids reopened, Dreamworld has posted this on its maintenance page: "Rapid Ride annual maintenance and for construction 25 May to 22 June 2011" Would the construction be for the supports laying out front of the park? Because come to think of it the current colour of it would suit Gold Rush Country. I feel weird being pretty much the only person looking at the maintenance pages lol

Just spoke to dreamworld and they let slip that the Train is also closed for the same constriction. I wonder what construction needs all that closed???