2 new rides for Dreamworld in 2011

GoGoBoy

What would be the cost of the types of disc 'o' because 7 million for the major attraction doesn't sound right. It might of been a misunderstanding and the amount is more then that for the motocoaster and almost more for the Claw and they are only small rides. Cause the looks of things this ride maybe big considering they have taken out part of the car park and the train and rapids are closed for construction. Unless they are for something else but it would be odd timing.

Edited by Cruiseshipfan

7 million for the major attraction doesn't sound right

I reckon it could be a about right, as posted earlier the basic model is $4 mil USD, so the price differential could be accounted for by an extended layout, or merely higher construction costs in Australia. I think Disk'o's are fairly cheap, cant see it being much more than a million.

It's not insider information or anything. Just speculating about the ride type and hoping it does end up being this extended version. The info regarding the ride (including press release and pics) is from RCDB - http://www.rcdb.com/3185.htm?dt=126&d=170

Edited by GoGoBoy

Well I am going to put my 2 cents worth into this discussion and add - whether they build the long or short model, having another rollercaster at our parks is still a bonus. Looking at the Maurer Sohne website the X-style coaster trains look amazing and will give a ride experience that we don't have here in Australia. This coaster should be a great addition to the Gold Coast. I can only see this as a positive and with the competition watching closely down the road maybe this will be the beginning of a Coaster War (we have more than you).

Well I am going to put my 2 cents worth into this discussion and add - whether they build the long or short model, having another rollercaster at our parks is still a bonus. Looking at the Maurer Sohne website the X-style coaster trains look amazing and will give a ride experience that we don't have here in Australia. This coaster should be a great addition to the Gold Coast. I can only see this as a positive and with the competition watching closely down the road maybe this will be the beginning of a Coaster War (we have more than you).

I agree! X-cars are amazing and smooth, just the sort of coaster that Australia needs. Abismo looks great, we can only hope that an extended model like it gets installed at Dreamworld. :D

But isn't the basic version really more of a flat ride rather than a rollercoaster? I personally think if this is Dreamworld's big addition then we can let go of any hope of any real, major rollercoaster or serious expansion of DW or WWW in the future. They just don't seem to want to commit to anything of any significant size and seem determined to stick to their $6 mill budget. Certainly while the current Directors/Management are in place at least

Maybe mines bigger than yours

Maybe Dreamworld maybe getting an extended version of the extended version as it can go up to 1000m long on a custom design. Its not likely but because the footprint of the two pre designed coasters doesn't seem to match any areas in the park. The base one will fit but have a lot of room left around it. The extended wouldnt fit, unless it goes over the carpark. Plus both are under the 7 mil budget.

I really hope it is longer than the extended version. Even that seems really short. Plus how is capacity on this ride? With only two carriages what will the lines be like?

Am I the only one concerned that these rides haven't got more than one train? Extended or not, if the X-Car does end up coming to Dreamworld, it is still a very good and worthy attraction.

I have been thinking that too. The short ride is really made for larger parks like six flags which have many roller coasters and people are spread out over them all but Dreamworld doesn't have many at all, so people will go to the 3 roller coasters. Cyclone has a good capacity. The Tower of terror has alright capacity. but these would be worse because they don't hold any more then the tower of terror plus the ride is longer. Unless this isn't a skyloop it will have bad capacity. If it is a bigger track like Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, they could have more then one train, which would give it a good capacity.

Maurer's promo video for the general 'type' of coaster we're discussing stated that the capacity can double if 2 trains are used. I hope they get that second train then. :S Mick Doohan only runs 2 during the Summer Holidays now (from what I've seen. But then again. Last time I went on it was in summer holidays). I'll go looking for that video now.

I have been thinking that too. The short ride is really made for larger parks like six flags which have many roller coasters and people are spread out over them all but Dreamworld doesn't have many at all, so people will go to the 3 roller coasters. Cyclone has a good capacity. The Tower of terror has alright capacity. but these would be worse because they don't hold any more then the tower of terror plus the ride is longer. Unless this isn't a skyloop it will have bad capacity. If it is a bigger track like Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, they could have more then one train, which would give it a good capacity.

This is where the X-Train would come in handy: X-Train: Technical Data • Passangers: 8 - 36 seats, 4 per row • Capacity: up to 3000 pph • Max. speed: 130 km/h • G-forces: min: -1,2 g; max: +6 g • Inversions: yes • Multimedia-ready (speakers, individual song choice, video cameras, displays...)

post-1016-0-36766600-1306560450_thumb.jp

I personally think if this is Dreamworld's big addition then we can let go of any hope of any real, major rollercoaster or serious expansion of DW or WWW in the future. They just don't seem to want to commit to anything of any significant size and seem determined to stick to their $6 mill budget. Certainly while the current Directors/Management are in place at least

Dreamworld has never spent much on any one particular attraction since the original TOT.

The short ride is really made for larger parks like six flags which have many roller coasters and people are spread out over them all

I more saw these types of rides as being something for smaller parks (And yes, I think Dreamworld sort of sits in that category on the world scale) that want a 'big' ride without breaking the bank...Much like what Boomerangs did for a number of smaller parks in the 80s and 90s.

But isn't the basic version really more of a flat ride rather than a rollercoaster?

I sort of have a category for this type of ride (ZacSpins and Halfpipe Coasters sit in the same group)...Compact thrill coasters that are an alternative to a flat ride. I'd rather see parks build these then say a gyro swing or a topspin.

Plus how is capacity on this ride?

http://www.maurer-rides.com/files/amusement/pdf/PI_SkyLoopXT150_SkylinePark.pdf 550 pph. Anyway, I'm not too dissapointed or anything. We knew it would only be $6 Mil. At the very least it will be as fun as something like Surfrider, and Surfrider is decent :)

Also Many of the parks who use this ride don't class it is a major thrill ride.

Computer says no.... Skywheel.

The Sky Wheel - the highest overhead roller coaster in the world - the most original steel structure of the present! At her feet are the ghosts - who studied the test of courage in the Sky Wheel? The drive up to almost 50 m height is perpendicular and in slow motion, the carriage of Sky Wheel turns in the screw - head first, backed up by the yawning depth, and only by Hüftbügel the passenger then experiences the dizzying acceleration of one short moment - 1 G to to extreme 5 G! Only the "airtime" feeling of lift off and the next moment, the pressure in the seats as the launch of a space rocket - the real spacey Sky Wheel! This is the ultimate thrill for roller coaster fans, the experience is only in such an extraordinary design.

Abismo.

Abyss is the most spectacular roller coaster art, unique in the world of its kind. The more daring visitors Amusement Park will have the opportunity to generate a lot of adrenaline when they rush to the abyss from the highest point, 49 meters at a speed of 100 km / h and experience their impressive track you will drawing different shapes in the air, twists, inversions, hills, immelmans, etc. The end is heart, and you end up climbing a tower and falling back.

X-Coaster.

The most visible coaster for miles around Magic Springs, the X-Coaster has the hearts of thrill–seekers pounding before ever even entering the park! You’ll shoot 150 feet into the air to be flipped upside down and tossed on a 360-degree corkscrew roll at more than 65 mph!

Edited by Gazza

first of all sorry if this reply isn't great I'm trying to do it off a phone!!! I think this ride is really... I have one problem and that's capacity... Everyone will flock to this ride (if it's the one being built) and have to ages SE has something like 1200 ppl per hour and we've seen what that's like in peak times!! Now GD, TOT2 have horrible capacity... Cyclone desperately needs a second train (seriously can DW please buy and operate a second train for this ride, no joke!) for busy times cause even on slow day waits can be abissmal, and motorcoaster with the only coaster in park with 2 tarins never uses them and even when their used capacity on that isn't great! Even the reptar and old mine coaster didn't have good capacities... None of DW's coaster have good capacity it's saves by rides like The Claw and Wipeout! Down the road MW only seems to have people guzzling rides! I'm just hoping that this new ride provides an awesome experience, has some nice theming and a good capacity to help the park out for the next peak season!!

Edited by Original

Seems like their is some potential for a great ride, at the same time it could be something underwhelming. They have a fairly decent selection of coasters :) hopefully Dreamworld went for something different, but with some length... Themeing could make or break the ride IMO, fine having a short ride if it's not just some parking lot coaster...rather somewhat immersive and interesting. Still seems like somewhat of a missed opportunity to me.