2 new rides for Dreamworld in 2011

GoGoBoy

Buzzsaw is a hell of a lot of fun for a relatively short ride. Extremely comfortable cars and a very smooth track make for a great experience. That being said, it's also a lot more tame than I imagined it would be. The only 'scary' part is really just the lift hill, as you feel less secure then than you do hanging upside down due to the laid-back style of the seats. The side-bar is very comfortable and secure. Overall, DW made a great choice buying this ride with their fairly limited budget. I just hope next on the table is a large full circuit coaster.

I'm still slightly miffed that DW stole Aussie World's bit of shine and installed a DisqO right after AW unveiled theirs. I mean they're a small time park, c'mon DW give them a break! Anyways... The two new rides don't interest me at all and I'm glad I bought the VRTP annual pass instead of DW's since I'll get to go on Green Lantern :D

• 2 weeks later...

I think there's a lot to be said about BuzzSaw. I'll offer up some quick though: - Exteriors and design are well integrated into existing Gold Rush County. - Dumb placement. Could have replaced the Chairlift building and not feel like you're leaving the park when you walk to the ride. Silly, silly, willy. - Queue line is... okay. Nothing moves. Average static scenes with some occasionally flicking lights and some speakers around to boot. Q4U placement is, at best, confusing. I went in a week after opening and the queue line was already being scratched to bits by people carving their names in probably because they were bored out of their minds. Can't imagine how hot that building will be come summer. - The ride itself, while not smooth, definitely has a few jerks in the cycle, mainly from the lift hill. Once when you've come around full circle and you've come through the station, the transition between the gradient up and the vertical part of the lift hill is so sudden it whips you into the seat. Not only that but when the lift hill finally catches you the train's momentum stops before your natural momentum and there's a huge jolt back into the seat. - First time I rode I will admit I shat bricks when going upside down the first time. Those seats are already at a fair angle back, combined with just a lap bar, no seatbelt, and the feeling of a new manufacturer, I really didn't know what to expect. The best way I could describe the ride experience though comes down to doing the the standard cycle versus the double, extended cycle. Doing the cycle once gives the ride a definite "one trick pony" feel to it. Almost underwhelming but just passable. Going around twice though was strangely a lot more satisfying then expected. It would seem on the second go round the lift hill whips you upside down into the barrel roll faster, meaning you go up the lift hill far more on the way around and you practically go through a fair chunk of the barrel roll on the way back. After doing the double cycle I felt that I'd enjoyed the ride way more and got sufficiently knocked around enough to go try other things, instead of having to go back and do half a dozen single cycles.

Edited by Slick

So that was one thing i was curious about and wasn't sure whether it had been asked and answered... the BS makes two revolutions? both in the same direction? It'd be interesting if it were capable of a "forwards, then backwards" cycle...

It has the ability to make 2 (probably as many as the ride op wants) revolutions, but I have only witnessed it do one. Maybe on weekdays with low queue lines they do a second Edited by Brad2912

So that was one thing i was curious about and wasn't sure whether it had been asked and answered... the BS makes two revolutions? both in the same direction? It'd be interesting if it were capable of a "forwards, then backwards" cycle...

At 0:35 seconds, the train would literally repeat that whole cycle again instead of coming back down the lift hill. As from what I could understand there was a fair bit of contention with doing a double cycle amongst operators and supervisors. Either because of the queue wait time, the lack of ride operation knowledge or the manufacturer yet to sign-off the ride to Dreamworld, whatever it was, there was definitely a "no double cycles" stigma during the first week or two of operation. As for now, who knows.

Went to Dreamworld on Saturday. Interesting: Was stuck on Buzzsaw for about 20 minutes, I was sitting in the front row on the right seat and when we returned to the station my lap bar wouldn't come up. At first I thought to myself it might just be because I'm new to Maurer Sohne and that I didn't understand how to work this thing... In the end it just wouldn't open. The ride attendants tried several times to release it and it wouldn't work. In the end they called an engineer and he used a key and pulled a handle (?) under the seat and it unlocked. Overall I was stuck for about 20 minutes. The ride attendant said it had happened before but very rarely. Odd... I hope they sort out some of these teething problems soon. Boring: I am the 50th person to present my view. It really is a one tricky pony, but a unique ride experience at that. I enjoyed it very much, although I agree two cycles would have been much better. The best park is hanging upside down 40m in the air with just a lap bar, very unique. Other than that I can't say much else for the ride other than the queue line shed gets HOT and HUMID. They certainly need more fans...

Edited by Linus1995

^ This; I agree completely. Buzzsaw, as stated above, is a one-trick pony. But I must say, it does do it's 'one trick' very well. Because of this, the ride is actually a lot of fun...but very short. The first thing I'll say is that the ride-ops make an effort to really staple you into this ride.. o.O. After being pinned into your seat, you're off. Going up the lift hill, the reclined seats make you slip backwards a little which gives you a taste of what is to come.

The best park is hanging upside down 40m in the air with just a lap bar, very unique.

Same thoughts here. As the lift hill peaks and the train slowly rolls towards the in-line twist, you come off your seat slightly and hang........This is the best part of the ride; as it's intimidating and thrilling. I would say that the Wipeout gives a similar hang time experience...but Buzzsaw's is 40 m in the air. You then do the in-line twist and dive down to the ground. The speed at the bottom of the drop is quite decent, which is 2nd highlight of the ride. If you are sitting in the back row (which I suggest) as you return backwards into the in-line twist you get some more hang time. Then it's back through the station and into an abrupt stop on the vertical before being lowered into the station. One thing to note, the ride is rough. When it goes through the twist, it kinda does the vekoma jerking motion. Not really a fan of that, especially as it's brand new. As for presentation, it works. It's an eye catcher from the high way and from inside the park. Dreamworld have really put some effort into it's themeing. For dreamworld's standards the ride's queue building and station look really good. There is actually themeing that makes sense. Buzzsaw name, so we are in a saw mill; check. The storyline isn't obvious, in fact it's not at all explained. If I didn't read up on dw's website, i would have no idea why there are weird spooky voices every now and then. It gets hot in there...more fans needed definitely. Overall it is a fun ride. But not particularly intense and way too short. The hang time is the most thrilling aspect, plus the speed took me by surprise. But I have a feeling that this ride will become boring after a couple rides; even in the gp's eyes.

They have decided but they run it on different cycles depending on the day. it all depends on how many people are waiting as they want to keep the queue down.

On our very first ride of Buzzsaw they sent us on 2 cycles. It was a busy day and the queue was in the big switchback section. I certainly wasn't expecting it! Heck, I'm not complaining… :D