2 new rides for Dreamworld in 2011

GoGoBoy

...because the pirate theme is just totally trademarked by Sea World! I don't think they'd get sued for theming it the same - otherwise someone would whinge about the whole "loop" tag between wedgie and aqualoop. I doubt we'll see a return of blue lagoon, but as a battleboat style attraction, it's not a bad idea - and who cares if Sea World has one - if they have one too, then the people who wanted to go to a theme park for rides, but really liked the idea of a battle boat style ride - don't have to choose! No offence Reanimated, but having never seen a woodie up close is why you can't understand it, while all those who have seen one up close are all for it. Even without riding on them, you can sit and watch the whole structure sway and bend as the train goes around it (it's meant to do that), and just seeing such a large structure moving does freak people out. The woodies are designed to throw you around a little, they make great use of airtime and banked curves... don't get me wrong, it IS possible to have inversions, but thats not what the woodie is all about. High speed, out of control (as gazza said earlier) and just a little on edge about how safe the whole thing is - all of that make up the thrill of a woodie. In days gone past, woodies didn't have OTSR's. You don't need them because you don't invert, more and more, this just adds to the thrill and "risk" of riding such a great attraction, or as Casey says, it adds to the "holy shit" factor. EDIT: As an aside, I'm not trying to upset anyone here, but I just tried to read the article posted on the zendorphin site - are those guys just in love with punctuation or what? I just found it really difficult to read it fluently - It was quite disjointed. I also expected there to be more photos - perhaps a picture of what they actually spotted - eg: if it were such a groundbreaking discovery in the search for Dreamworld's next attraction, perhaps they'd have taken the train around again and this time lined up for a photo?

Edited by AlexB

As an aside, I'm not trying to upset anyone here, but I just tried to read the article posted on the zendorphin site - are those guys just in love with punctuation or what? I just found it really difficult to read it fluently - It was quite disjointed. I also expected there to be more photos - perhaps a picture of what they actually spotted - eg: if it were such a groundbreaking discovery in the search for Dreamworld's next attraction, perhaps they'd have taken the train around again and this time lined up for a photo?
I'm sorry I actually type properly with correct grammar and punctuation. :rolleyes: And I would of taken another photo, but hey, I don't go alone (unlike some people) and sure my friend didn't wanna do another round of the train. Edited by Bmull19

I think all the one up-manship stuff is getting really lame, no matter whose doing it. Whether it's MW shoving lasers into their nighttime entertainment in a sad attempt to not be out done by Illuminate (which as far as the lasers are concerned, they are) or WWW adding Wedgie in an equally sad attempt to not be outdone by AquaLoop, it's getting a bit sad. FWIW, the only 'stolen' ride that I think works is Jet Rescue. Partly because JR was in development before MDMC was built, but mostly because MDMC was such a dismal failure of a ride. So I really hope that they don't aren't considering adding a Castaway Bay type attraction, (or a Pirate themed high dive show. There's already one to many of those on the Gold Coast) but they instead do something original. It doesn't have to be an unproven world first like MDMC either, there are many, many proven rides out there that would be an Australian first that would fit the bill nicely. Of course the only thing making people suspect a Castaway Bay style attraction is a pirate flag. While it wouldn't surprise me if it was in some way related to the theme of whatever they're adding, it is a huge stretch to say pirate flag = Castaway Bay copy, or pirate flag = family attraction, or pirate flag = coaster, and so on.

I'm sorry I actually type properly with correct grammar and punctuation. :rolleyes: And I would of taken another photo, but...
Back on topic... I'm going to throw my 2c into the jar and say that I'm not a big fan of woodies. I have been on MANY woodies (from very good to very bad) and, in general, prefer the (smoother) ride of a steel coaster. There are some wooden coasters that I like (Prowler, Renegade and Evel Knievel for example), but unfortunately, with age and poor upkeep, they tend to get a tad too rough for my liking. Obviously steel coasters do this as well, but I would rather ride a rough steel coaster over a rough wooden coaster any day. * This is my own opinion and you can't change that -- so don't even try.

It would be nice if they destroy the old Blue lagoon water park area and the Studios and use that area to build a mining style roller coaster or ghost town themed B&M coaster there. Also with that bring back the Eureka Mine, with a Vekoma Mine Train. Or my idea which I suggested on Dreamworlds facebook page is to build a roller coaster like Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, or Rock'n' Roller coaster. Which in Dreamworld's response they seemed to like.

^ Please, God, no! Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit is an awful coaster (and theme for that matter). Haven't had a chance to give RnRC a go, but I'm sure it's 10x better. Seriously though, I don't care what Dreamworld builds next. As long as it looks good (theming, presentation), high capacity and appeals to more than just 'kids', I'll be happy.

^ Please, God, no! Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit is an awful coaster (and theme for that matter). Haven't had a chance to give RnRC a go, but I'm sure it's 10x better. Seriously though, I don't care what Dreamworld builds next. As long as it looks good (theming, presentation), high capacity and appeals to more than just 'kids', I'll be happy.
The suggestion was just for the car, not the theme or anything just the idea of the ride. Like making a coaster with ghost town music playing. And please no wooden Coaster Edited by Cruiseshipfan

5396... ;P And if possible i would like to see a picture of this mask or a HGD (Highly Gazza'd Drawing... :P) because all i can think of is well i dont know but yeah; and if they do decide to keep this structure and not turn it into a rollercoaster i'd like to see something like a cross between the battle boats thing at CB and the lazer dark rides; like have them go in and out of the mountain "mt d" in the boats but make something so like theres a water tank on one park of it and if you hit it or the target high up or something the tank topples over, breaks, and pisses on you with water (possibly yellow... ;P) so every ride is different because you can test ways to get more wet, and possibly even make chain reactions too, like hit the tank, one of the tanks legs fall half way down mt d and then break off a rock that causes a ton of water to fly at you etc... could work...

^ Is it me or is there an echo in here? I wouldn't mind a wooden coaster but it must be around rocky hollow/gold rush. Another thing I would like if it was done is the merging of the area into one themed area instead of two similiar areas. The thing that is worrying me the most is the 7 million budget mentioned.

It doesn't have to be an unproven world first like MDMC either, there are many, many proven rides out there that would be an Australian first that would fit the bill nicely.
^ I agree with this 100%. It just has to be good! The $6-7 million budget IS a big concern considering this hasn't changed with inflation AND the fact that it has been so long since DW has built a decent ride. You'd think they would have learned by now

"Dreamworld today confirmed rumors that the themepark is undergoing major construction work to create a brand new interactive enclosure that is capable of displaying various exotic animals and is due to open in time for April school holidays. The first animals to be featured on display will be two rare white lions to be temporarily relocated to the Gold Coast themepark from their permanent home at Canberra’s National Zoo and Aquarium. With just a handful in captivity around the world, this will be the first chance for many South East Queensland locals and visitors to view this breed of big cat in such authentic surroundings and at so close a range. Spotted for the first time in the 1930’s in the Timbavati region of South Africa it wasn’t until the 1970’s that the White Lion was rediscovered with the first breeds occurring in the 1980’s at Johannesburg Zoo. The three year old brother and sister duo named Jake and Mischka will inhabit the new 334m² enclosure where visitors will be able to observe their natural behavior and Dreamworld’s General Manager Life Sciences, Al Mucci, explains that this playful pair will provide plenty of enjoyment for observers. “These white lions are still in an adolescent stage and as such are really playful and active. They’re both big cats with Jake weighing in at over 200kgs, so guests will really be able to see the sheer power as they play with each other and adapt to their temporary surroundings.” The new exhibit is to be purpose built to suit a range of animals and future plans for the themepark will offer locals and visitors the chance to observe different species at various times of the year. “White lions will be the first exotic animal we introduce to the new enclosure and we are looking into other exotic carnivores that have never before been displayed on the Gold Coast,” said Mr Mucci. The new enclosure will be located near the entrance to Tiger Island and will feature many interactive elements where guests will be able to walk alongside the displayed animal while remaining safely behind the facilities purpose engineered, triple laminated toughened glass. The new exhibit will be ready in time for April school holidays and Dreamworld is keeping a few secrets up its sleeve, with the promise to really amaze visitors. “There are a few elements we are still working on and we will have further news in the coming weeks. We know our guests will be really excited about this new facility,” said Mr Mucci. Stay tuned for more news! http://www.dreamworld.com.au/
- Taken from Dreamworld's Facebook page. Edited by Spotty

On another note, Ardent's share price has been going up and up since the announcements of the higher profits. ;)
D'oh! I waited patiently for something like 2 years for the share price to head back up. Then a few weeks after I finally sold it rocketed up. Typical! I just don't get it because their last few reports they struggled in a big way with profits down. Then we have almost non-stop rain and severe floods and the profits jump. Go figure! Lost a lot of money on it

Im not getting my hopes up too much with a $7 million ride, but at least it's a start? :P Maybe the next two years will have more stuff (well is meant to). I know, it's crazy, right?! Like all down down down (and I saw a post where you said you sold your shares) and then boom, up. :P Strong results though (In my opinion)

I've heard it's quite average in terms of B&Ms. If we're wishing, I wouldn't mind the Intimidator at Carowinds, Apollo's Chariot or Griffon (both from BGW).
Agreed. Time Machine/Led Zeppelin looks like everything is in too much of a straight line....It's not twisty like a proper B&M. At the same time, I've heard B&Ms hypers are pretty mediocre compared to their Intamin counterparts..