Why where the cable cars/sky chairs shut down at wonderland?

willsy

I still don't believe that "79% of out guests complained that the park was too big so we closed off LWL" explanation though.
You'd be surprised how many people complain about stuff that's completely unfounded. I once was told by an elderly Gentleman that 'Its disgusting that SW doesn't have anyway for old people to get around the park." I pointed out to this guy that there was not only a Monorail, Railway and Chairlift, there was also a place where people could hire wheelchairs if there's still too much walking. The response I got to these suggestions was that it wasn't good enough to expect old people to walk around, and that something should be built exclusively for old people. I also once told a customer the reason for SW not having Plastic lids for the drinks (because they blow into the pools and can harm the animals), to which I got the answer "SCREW THE DOLPHINS, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DRINK MY DRINK!" (the guy was actually pissed off that we care for the environment. Some people just don't know what their asking for.

I wonder what the old guy was expecting to get around SW? Walking is to be expected on a day out and people still complain. I wonder if the old guy complains if he goes to a shopping center, where there is no monorail etc. WL is pretty big, but they could have easily solved the problem by building a park transit system, and if that was too much trouble the could just have a bunch of those tractor train things like the one they already have. Those people who complained are party poopers and Id hate to know what would hapen if they visited disney or something, Would they ask for disney land to be smaller? As for the guy who complained about the drink, He would have been totaly screwed if it were a bottle. ;)

You know, Busch Gardens and SeaWorlds in America don't serve drink tops or straws because of the animals, but we learnt after San Diego and brought our own "equipment" in Florida. It's always good to plan ahead. :) Now, onto Hanna-Babera Land's closure. Wonderland Sydney is a big park, huge in fact, especially when the rides are as spread out as they are. I don't doubt for one second that 79% of the guests they surveyed commented that it was too big. But their solution, to simply shut off a large section of the park (one which had a very high proportion of the park's attractions) is just weak to say the least. The park has, from day one lacked a nice high-capacity people mover. Chairlifts/cable cars don't cut it because they're far from high capacity (no one wants to wait 15 minutes in line to get to the other end of the park). Any park that had any pride in what they were doing would have had a train system at the least - even something simple that just does a loop around the back of the park with stops in the three key locations would have done the park wonders, rather than shutting off the key area that brings in the families and citing the 79% as the reason. Don't mention wheelchairs. It went just plain crazy at Disney parks. Because anyone in one and their party gets front-of-line access, it's become like a premium FastPass that never runs out. You actually see families, where the kids are fighting over who gets the "next go".

Just too add to the pissed off drink guy - I gave him a straw, he was just really, really pissed about not getting a lid. SW here used to have paper straws until the only maker of them in Australia went out of business. Because everyone wants straws (and demand refunds on the park admission price if they don't get one) we try and limit the number of straws we give out around the park, which seems to work..

News Flash: Wonderland in an obvious next step, will open Brothel in Wonderland Business Park - Malaysia owners claim brothel will be more suited to be placed near a theme park then the current business park is.
Whats next,, A trip to a theme park than hit up the brothel after????

Just out of interest Richard (and I totaly agree about people abusing the system at DLR) don't know if you've been following westcoaster, but Disney has just started the first of radical changes to the special access passes. What they are doing is great and should really improve the situation. Aim is to cut the daily passes from thousands to only a few hundred a day! For those of you who don't know the old system was anyone with a pass could take another 6 people (able bodied) and simply board the ride with no wait from the exit que. My solution would be to have someone else take a pass through the standard line and have the special person 'virtualy que' for the ride. The pass is supposed to bring them on equal terms with the GP, not give them an unfair advantage, and this is what Disney is now doing.

Try looking up some of the old articles on miceage.com (Al Lutz's column is one of the better Disney related ones I've seen out there) which deal with the changes, certainly worth the read. For those who are not that bright (or sarcastic, I can't really tell) my sigs are satire / sarcasm. The point of that last news flash was to make the point that the Industrial area around Wonderland is one of the least appropriate things to be placed near a theme park.

Years ago the train at Wonderland used to go up to HB and into the Wildlife park. Im not sure if it went down to Goldrush, but I think the route would of been something like Botany Bay, Transylvania, HB, Wildlife, HB, Transylvania, Gold Rush, Botany Bay. Im not sure of the exact route but I know for sure that it did go to HB and the Wildlife Park. As for Wonderland having more than one train I don't think that would work as there are/were several places where there is only just enough room for one train to get through. "The Bus is now leaving for Traine River Trucking Yard, Western Australia"

Sorry, I perhaps didn't elaborate enough. When I say train, I'm referring to something that runs on two parallel rails, not a modified golf buggy parading patrons around the park in tiny cages. It's a bit late now for that sort of action - my point was that when they were faced with concerns about the size of the park, they had the choice of either making it possible to get around the park easily without walking or making the place smaller. They chose, and Hanna-Babera Land (Little Wonders Land) went. I read a bit about the changes while I was gone and saw the positive effect they were having. Disneyland was before they made the change, and it was nothing short of a joke. Walt Disney World was after and it was really quite an improvement. It's still far from perfect, but it's certainly better now. I'm with you in making one member of the party queue while the others wait, in some designated waiting area.