Potential themepark resort for Perth.

keadz

It's just such a shame Hard Rock failed. A lot of their ride concepts were 'firsts'. I saw a documentary on the building of the park and it really looked like it might make it, single concept or not. I agree with the 'asian' solution - Perth is a good destination for the asian market, much better than Sydney or Melbourne, although it isn't too different from Brisbane. Perth is also good when you consider that proximity to urban areas, transport hubs etc within the east coast is near on impossible when you talk about the land size they want. Finding that much land in a reasonably proximity to transport etc in Perth would be a lot easier.

• 1 month later...

New backers for theme park plan DANIEL EMERSON, The West Australian Updated December 10, 2011, 2:20 am 1581397307.jpg?x=400&sig=bfLZLzrZjINOgc8K4uW0TA-- The WA-based proponents of a multibillion-dollar theme park and resort in Perth have released an artist's impression of what it could look like, complete with hotels, nightclub strip and zoo. Inspire WA says it is pressing ahead with the ambitious project after the original backers, Italian animatronics entertainment company Ermes Technologies, dropped out. The Los Angeles-based themed entertainment division of Jordanian company Rubicon Group Holdings took over the design and development after meeting Inspire WA representatives in Orlando, Florida, last month. Eric Pearson, a director of Inspire WA, which rebranded itself after it dropped the name Ermes when it split from that company, said a confidentiality agreement prevented him revealing why it parted ways with the Italians. He said RGH representatives would fly to Perth in February to inspect potential locations in the Wanneroo, Swan, Rockingham and Peel districts. A $2 million feasibility study is scheduled to begin in mid-2012. Inspire WA hopes construction will begin in late 2013 and finish in 2016. Mr Pearson said he had been prepared for scepticism after it was revealed the plan was to attract two million tourists a year to the park but most people looked on it positively. "I'm just amazed the larger percentage see there's something on the horizon," he said. "It is possible, everything's possible." Mr Pearson's vision includes local universities getting involved in running the precinct's safari park and stage shows. RGH themed entertainment director Lenny Larsen said the company was "super exited" about the project. "Inspire WA have envisioned something truly magnificent for Perth and we can't wait to see it take shape, first on our drawing boards and later on the beautiful site that has been identified for the project," he said. RGH signed on in May to design and develop a US$1.5 billion Star Trek theme park in Jordan. Tourism Minister Kim Hames, who has met Inspire WA representatives, said they had "interesting ideas" and he looked forward to seeing the results of the feasibility study. http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...eme-park-plan/ Loss of a major partner says a lot about the likelyhood of this going ahead. Maybe if the downgraded it significantly or atleast staggered the development rather than trying to go ahead and complete the whole precinct as quick as possible. Nonetheless, good luck to them.

RGH signed on in May to design and develop a US$1.5 billion Star Trek theme park in Jordan.

Jordanians are Star Trek fans? Guess that's why there's such an abundance of 30 virgins for everyone in paradise.......except they are over weight, pizza faced males. Edited by Gazza

• 11 months later...

Because no one else has made this thread yet(probably because it's pretty much still only a dream I guess).... Yet we've all heard of it. This was the latest development last month: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/thrill-seekers-look-to-wine-region-20121015-27n8x.html I promise right now there will be no "speculating" from me in this thread!

Edited by RichardWilliamCollins

It's on Wikipedia. it must be true. There does seem to be a shift across the country of many organisations renaming the sport. FFA (obviously) has used 'football' for quite some time, however the cultural shift means this change isn't going to occur immediately. Next world cup, our national team, the footballeroos will replace the socceroos? I don't think so. I think theres an argument for the use of either or both phrases, so RWC isn't wrong, but I don't believe that I am either. I've always known the game as Soccer, (as I'm sure most people over 20 would agree), and I'll continue to call it soccer. I don't imagine many people will become confused, whereas calling it football will confuse others who know many different 'football' codes, and may not know to which I am referring.

Actually I still hear plenty of people who refer to it as Gridiron, including a friend who plays in Australia and a friend who's relative plays professionally in the USA. And since we're sighting wikipedia as indisputable evidence, http://en.wikipedia....idiron_football Now can we possible get back on topic about a POSSIBLE PERTH THEME PARK WHICH

The idea of a Disney park in Australia has hung around for more than a decade... so i'm sure we'll see them break ground soon... Theres a resort golf course on the sunshine coast that was just announced as going ahead - and thats been in the planning and proposals stage for 7 years... a year in terms of planning a major park is a drop in the ocean. People were talking about WnWS at least 4 years ago, and they're only just cutting the site now...

[

Disney will never build a park here no chance. I even heard these words come out of a couple imagineers mouths last month when in the US.

*At least 5 occasions.

If they are absolutely no chance of putting in a park in Australia, then why have they reasearched the option of doing so at least 5 times?? You think once would be enough.......just saying.

You think once would be enough.......just saying.

Well we are such an entertaining people.... I can see it now.... Mickey dressed as Saxton Hale cutting the ribbon to open the orange and rock like version of the castle....And every ride themed to things that can kill in the Disney universe....

I don't have a source, just a memory. 5 was a rough guess based on what we've seen discussed here on the forums. We know they've considered gold coast. We know they've considered Perth. We know they've considered Sydney and we know they've considered Melbourne. This is just my recollection of over 8 years on these forums. I don't think we can say 'never'. It is possible that with population growth, we'll see a Disney park - but that may be 10-20-30 years down the track. Bottom line is - Disney will always look at new markets - they are in USA, Europe & Asia - large population areas - hell - the Asian area has several parks - Japan has two in a geographical area not much bigger than the coastline of New South Wales (albeit - a much higher population). They haven't built in Aus for the same reason they haven't built in Africa - not enough local population to support it. Many will say 'if they build it... people will come' but a park needs a local fanbase to support it through off peak times. But this doesn't mean that Disney aren't always looking for new locations, ideas and concepts that would work. I'm sure they'd love to have a park 'down under'.. it just has to be viable, and i'm sure that they'll keep looking at options as they present themselves and consider each one on it's own merit. I think though that the governments (state and federal) need to be much more receptive, willing, and able to open their pockets before they commit.