VIllage Roadshow Studios Gold Coast 2018

I hope this is the right forum to post this topic in. But yesterday, Anna Bligh released details on the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Bid. In the list of the proposed venues mentioned in the media release it says: "Oxenford Studios -Table Tennis & Boxing · Maximises use of existing infrastructure · Cost effective way to deliver these competition venues" If they win the bid, i believe it would provide a rare opportunity for the public to go inside the studios since the closure of the Studio Tour at Warner Brothers Movie World. I think they would still have strict access to the studios if they do host the sports like ticket holders only etc. but it would still be a rare chance to visit the studios.

I hope this is the right forum to post this topic in. But yesterday, Anna Bligh released details on the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Bid. In the list of the proposed venues mentioned in the media release it says: "Oxenford Studios -Table Tennis & Boxing · Maximises use of existing infrastructure · Cost effective way to deliver these competition venues" If they win the bid, i believe it would provide a rare opportunity for the public to go inside the studios since the closure of the Studio Tour at Warner Brothers Movie World. I think they would still have strict access to the studios if they do host the sports like ticket holders only etc. but it would still be a rare chance to visit the studios.

They have had one of them open to show the narnia boat. I guess you'd fit in enough people who would actually be going to the games for TT/Boxing

Yea it would be able to see the studios from a different angle. I am surprised that MW didnt try and do something like universal Studios Hollywood where one of the parks rides is the studios tour and they have mini shows along the way. It would of made the park much more successful.

They did. It failed. Can't remember why though

Yea it would be able to see the studios from a different angle. I am surprised that MW didnt try and do something like universal Studios Hollywood where one of the parks rides is the studios tour and they have mini shows along the way. It would of made the park much more successful.

They did. It failed. Can't remember why though

Too bad it failed. I would have liked it. It should have reduced the queue times for other rides as well.

They have had one of them open to show the narnia boat.

When was that?

Aw ok cool. Too bad i didn't know about it. I hope it was like the Studio Tour but only to see the Narnia set.

They used the trams from paradise country and picked up up between lethal and superman (back of superman) and just a silent drive between the buildings til you get to studio 6 I think it was, then you look at the boat and go back.

They used the trams from paradise country and picked up up between lethal and superman (back of superman) and just a silent drive between the buildings til you get to studio 6 I think it was, then you look at the boat and go back.

Cool, at least those visitors to the Narnia set got to go in a studio. I found a YouTube vid of a couple of pics of it. It didn't show much but it was Sound Stage 5 lol. Come to think of it, if they got the sets of all the well-known movies filmed there (Narnia, Scooby-Doo, Peter Pan, House Of Wax etc.) and kept them it would have been an good studio tour nowadays if it was open. Anyway, this topic was to be about using the studios as a sporting venue for the Commonwealth Games not the potential of a new studio tour lol

• 7 months later...

i would pay to go in and see that

I beleive with the securing of the bid not only will the sound stages be used but they will have alot of temporary stadum structure built inside them also with an upgrade to the external of the buildings, inclduing an entrance exit plaza area. There will be a bit of cash to ensure they look good since it is the Commonwealth Games. I beleive our Studio Tour was doomed from the start, not enough active productions and also very expensive to do much more with the trams then what they already did. The Batman studio thing was just lame along with the sound effects stage etc. Our tram cant do much more then drive people from place to place, Unviersal is custom building the attractions that interact with the tram, AKA the earthquake set and King Kong. The universal studio tram tour is an epic ride unto itself. The King Kong 360 addition would have cost them millions. The ride would by now have run into the 10's of millions to build all of the set pieces, in addition to the massive cost to maintain. Sadly this type of attraction we just cant afford. Talking about the Commonwealth Games the GCCEC will also be hosting sport in their Arena, with the entire exhibition halls being converted into a media centre. The halls which are 6345 square metres is having a massive temporary mezzanine floor structure built into it to make the halls 2 story.

As far as the Universal Studio Tour, it cost a lot, but it was built over decades, and a lot of the static sets you are toured through are built for films. Six-Points-Texas comes from the silent era - the point though, is that each and every film shot on the universal backlot either utilises (and pays for the privilege) or builds\renovates new sets that are then added to the tour. Only the interactive attractions are built specifically for the tour - and even then, they're utilised in films at various times (Earthquake was used in Beverly Hills Cop 3). The problem is there isn't the demand for structurally sound semi-permanent sets, nor is there enough room to house a "backlot" (unless Paradise Country is levelled). As for AOS complex being used for equestrian events:

• [*]I'm sure equestrian events could be considered, if they were actually on the games list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Games#Approved_sports [*]I'm sure VRTP would be hoping to capitalise on the games by selling tickets to the show (i forsee if the show is still running at that point that for the games period, VRTP may host more than one show a day) [*]The arena itself could house a single showjumping arena. You need multiple dressage arenas, and a cross country course also. This would take up most of the available AOS land, which is used for grazing. [*]There are insufficient stable facilities - more would need to be built, and they aren't cheap for a short term use of a facility that isn't purpose built. [*]All equestrian events need to be held within the same geographical area - as many riders compete in multi-disciplined events. [*]The Gold Coast already has purpose built equestrian facilities that would need little or no upgrading to handle an international equestrian event - Cedar Lake, Oakleigh and Hunter Lodge to name a few. [*]The Sydney International Equestrian Centre (built for the olympics) has world-class facilities including major Indoor and Outdoor arenas, 10km of trails, a Steeple Chase Track, Cross Country Course, Stables and Accomodation. You won't fit all that at AOS, especially not as a "temporary" venue. It's simply not feasible.