Green Lantern Coaster

joz

Stopped by Movie World to check on the newly announced Green Lantern coaster. Most of the footings are completed, and vertical construction should commence very soon. post-3-0-66840700-1316419079_thumb.jpg Welcome to Movie World! In order to speed the process, Movie World are now storing the ride pieces in the car park closer to the ride, and the through road that runs along Movie World's entrance has been blocked off. Through traffic now has to turn right into the car park like everyone, before turning into a temporary through road. It's a bit confusing, but I think Green Lantern will be worth the minor inconvenience! post-3-0-84861200-1316418681_thumb.jpg Meanwhile closer to the main entrance, the construction walls have retreated slightly, giving a good look at some of the finished footings. post-3-0-96570300-1316418732_thumb.jpg post-3-0-09047400-1316418781_thumb.jpg This gives you an idea of how close the ride is to the entrance. post-3-0-82412400-1316418832_thumb.jpg Some supports still in their packaging. post-3-0-60259000-1316418621_thumb.jpg The bottom of the lift hill, or as the average guest will think of it; the point of no return. post-3-0-87775200-1316418925_thumb.jpg Close up of the lift post-3-0-86262000-1316418876_thumb.jpg More coaster pieces have been delivered and await erection post-3-0-59964700-1316418980_thumb.jpg Other assorted coaster bits post-3-0-17257100-1316419028_thumb.jpg Same coaster pieces, different angle Hope you enjoyed the photos! Oh PS, and if you run a facebook group, and steal these photos, please do the decent thing and include a link to this post on each photo! Thanks guys :)

Edited by joz

What movie franchise that is not a superhero and has been successful that they have the rights too.

Maybe not much at the moment but hopefully some tie in plans Coming within the next couple years... The Hobbit Sherlock Holmes Final Destination New Marvan the martian film 2012 The Neverending story (2014) Some chances there of a non superhero tie in...

Very wishful thinking but I'd love if the lift was entirely enclosed with lights/smoke inside. They could then take Timber Drop's idea and build hollow skyscrapers that the car will fly in and around. The coaster itself will be great, but I just think that simple ideas like this will add so much more to the experience.

I will be happy so long as the ride gets some excellent signage and a well themed queue building/s and station area which conveys the story and concept nicely. It might also be a nice idea if the first part of the lift hill is enclosed with a small scene or sequence (perhaps some animatronics, effects etc). And possibly the station return too. Just as long as it's MUCH MORE THEMED THAN BATWING!

From todays Gold Coast Bulletin:

New roller-coaster for Movie World GOLD Coast theme parks continue to invest in the city with Movie World the latest to announce a new attraction - a new thrill-seeking roller-coaster believed to be worth $10 million. The Green Lantern roller-coaster, which claims to have the steepest drop in the southern hemisphere, is expected to open at Movie World in December in time for the Christmas school holidays. While more ride details are still to be announced, it is believed the ride will be similar to the Green Lantern coaster that opened this year at the famous Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, California. To read more, turn to page 5 of today's Gold Coast Bulletin.

An interesting stab at journalism. I'm not normally one to jump up and down and point out nerdy mistakes (The fact they linked to a Six Flags Great Adventure ride while captioned Six Flags Magic Mountain angers the nerd in me greatly, mostly because they are totally different rides, and the ride type is the entire point of the article, but I can see how they could make that mistake and am not bothered enough to complain), but I did have to comment on the sloppy journalism that allowed the sentence, "It is believed that the ride will be like Green Lantern at SFMM" to be published. No, that's really not believed at all by anyone outside the Gold Coast Bulletin. Word must have got out that Movie World are building a Green Lantern coaster, and someone at the Bulletin has made up their own conclusion, but have included the phrase "It is believed" in a weasley attempt to cover the fact they hadn't put in any effort to check. If they had have said what actually is the case here, that sentence would read "We took a wild stab in the dark and think it could be like this". It annoys me when newspapers/ tv news just say "It is believed" followed by which ever "fact" they couldn't be bothered checking that day, and the thing is, this isn't a hard topic to check. Here, rcdb, screamscape, heck even all the other face-book groups say what the ride will be, I hate to think how much research goes into news where the information isn't freely available on numerous sources. /rant

From todays Gold Coast Bulletin: An interesting stab at journalism. I'm not normally one to jump up and down and point out nerdy mistakes (The fact they linked to a Six Flags Great Adventure ride while captioned Six Flags Magic Mountain angers the nerd in me greatly, mostly because they are totally different rides, and the ride type is the entire point of the article, but I can see how they could make that mistake and am not bothered enough to complain), but I did have to comment on the sloppy journalism that allowed the sentence, "It is believed that the ride will be like Green Lantern at SFMM" to be published. No, that's really not believed at all by anyone outside the Gold Coast Bulletin. Word must have got out that Movie World are building a Green Lantern coaster, and someone at the Bulletin has made up their own conclusion, but have included the phrase "It is believed" in a weasley attempt to cover the fact they hadn't put in any effort to check. If they had have said what actually is the case here, that sentence would read "We took a wild stab in the dark and think it could be like this". It annoys me when newspapers/ tv news just say "It is believed" followed by which ever "fact" they couldn't be bothered checking that day, and the thing is, this isn't a hard topic to check. Here, rcdb, screamscape, heck even all the other face-book groups say what the ride will be, I hate to think how much research goes into news where the information isn't freely available on numerous sources. /rant

Ahhm Joz - SFMM Got a green Lantern coaster - it is a zac spin and SFGA Is a Green Lantern Stand Up coaster.

From todays Gold Coast Bulletin: An interesting stab at journalism. I'm not normally one to jump up and down and point out nerdy mistakes (The fact they linked to a Six Flags Great Adventure ride while captioned Six Flags Magic Mountain angers the nerd in me greatly, mostly because they are totally different rides, and the ride type is the entire point of the article, but I can see how they could make that mistake and am not bothered enough to complain), but I did have to comment on the sloppy journalism that allowed the sentence, "It is believed that the ride will be like Green Lantern at SFMM" to be published. No, that's really not believed at all by anyone outside the Gold Coast Bulletin. Word must have got out that Movie World are building a Green Lantern coaster, and someone at the Bulletin has made up their own conclusion, but have included the phrase "It is believed" in a weasley attempt to cover the fact they hadn't put in any effort to check. If they had have said what actually is the case here, that sentence would read "We took a wild stab in the dark and think it could be like this". It annoys me when newspapers/ tv news just say "It is believed" followed by which ever "fact" they couldn't be bothered checking that day, and the thing is, this isn't a hard topic to check. Here, rcdb, screamscape, heck even all the other face-book groups say what the ride will be, I hate to think how much research goes into news where the information isn't freely available on numerous sources. /rant

10 million for an el loco? does any one else think that is a bit exaggerated

Top journalism here by the Gold Coast Bulletin. Not only have they confused the Green Lantern rides at Magic Mountain and Great Adventure online but the story in print is much worse. Highlights include:

A new $10 million stand-up roller coaster called Green Lantern ... is expected to open at Movie World in December.

Ethusiasts believe Green Lantern will be located at the front of Movie World in the Batman area.

But there are also rumours the ride will replace Movie World's ageing Lethal Weapon roller coaster.

Here's the full story in all its glory: post-2117-0-38962400-1316502094_thumb.jp

What? They couldn't even DRIVE to the park just to see the footers and realise that it WILL be out the front of the park? Or they couldn't see Movie World's pictures showing that Lethal Weapon will STILL exist after it is built. Or the couldn't even Wikipedia the rides to see which one is in Magic Mountain and which one is in Great Adventure? And seriously, where did the idea of it being a stand up come from? Because they have the same name?? News at its finest...

MW have been releasing puzzle pieces of the coasters promotional image...Here's one of the car, showing the Kvasten / Blue Fire style lap bars. 301233_10150307661512182_106147617181_8237783_566395141_n.jpg The nerd in me likes the fact the handle on the harness is a U shaped one out the front. This is the way they are on HP and the Forbidden Journey, and that is actually the most comfortable way to have your hands, and it naturally keeps your elbows away from your neighbours. I think the harness on this is better than the ones on Buzzsaw. Literally, Maurer Sohne ones come up to just under pec/boob level, so they are a bit restrictive. With these, it seems more like a regular lap bar, so much more freedom. Here is the full puzzle put together: post-88-0-27823300-1316514685_thumb.jpg And a super duper full res one (Because High Res is always useful :) ) http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/101/ellocomw.jpg/

Edited by Gazza

The thing I don't understand is that the above pic seems to show right down to (almost) the bottom of the ride. However using the background as a guide, it still looks to be a long way off the ground. Is this thing going to be pretty high with extended supports or is it just creative license on the artists impression?

Edited by GoGoBoy

The thing I don't understand is that the above pic seems to show right down to (almost) the bottom of the ride. However using the background as a guide, it still looks to be a long way off the ground. Is this thing going to be pretty high with extended supports or is it just creative license on the artists impression?

It looks like there is still a bit still unseen. But it still does look a little high.

I really think some artistic licence is at play here. Realistically we are looking at a coaster peaking at 35m (if that). I think Batwing is around 60m tall so Green Lantern will hit only a little higher than midway up Batwing. To me, the roller coaster does look a bit "enhanced" in the pic. Nathan