Green Lantern Coaster

joz

Or you could care about coasters in general... Like most people on this forum.

So why is this site called parkz if it's only the coasters people care about? See my previous post as this conversation has already popped up in this forum...

I have since day dot said I prefered the old MW (shows and experiences) over the new MW (rides and lack of decent shows). Just because I seem to be in the minority in these forums does not mean I am the only person in the wider public that feels this way. It would be like taking a group of 100 people from the city and saying their opinions are the same and therefore can be a good reflection of the approximately 20 million Australians spread throughout the continent. While it gives you a very loose and general idea it will more likely than not miss a great deal of issues that people from the outback and coastline areas.

I'm glad someone else gets it. Whilst our parks have built some impressive stuff in the past they still had relatively tiny budgets. Today the market has changed a lot, the public no longer values theme parks as the premium high dollar entertainment they once were years ago. This only leaves a certain amount of capital available for rides to be built. And like it or not, spending twice as much won't equal twice the revenue, our country is just too small and too isolated. We're fortunate to have 2 major attractions AND a huge parade opening on the coast this year, that's about the best we can hope for realistically.

So why is this site called parkz if it's only the coasters people care about?

1. This site is called Parkz because it is about theme parks. 2. Notice I said "Or you could care about coasters in general... Like MOST people on this forum.". I didn't say it's ONLY the coasters people care about. I don't think I am wrong when I say most people on this forum for some part care about the coasters and that is why they are getting annoyed with the theme parks (I agree with Joz by the way, we need to stop complaining). Although if you make a poll and people answer that most of them agree and think that the older MW with less rides etc etc (what you think) is better than more roller coasters, I will happily apologise.

Thats it our parks have to be clever with what they've got. I think thats evident when we look at Movie is building and have built. But thinking back to capital and what they have to play with LW was 16mil and then we saw Wild West was 18mil right? The next big thing was Scooby in 2002 at 13mil and between WWF and Scooby we got Road Runner 2000 and 01' a re-theme of Batman. Then we saw SE come back at 16mil. However, that wasn't the only capital spent that year we also saw Shrek 4D which got brand new seating and a completely re-themed pre-show, not to mention paying for that licence couldn't have come cheap! The very next year was Batwing at 5mil. So in space of 2 years they spent 21mil that we know of (was the dogems around in 06' or 07'??). 2008 we got Hollywood Stunt Driver at 10mil and the roof. If anything I would say the later years have seen less time between major attractions and some great fillers, apart from the lull since 2008, which to be honest I hadn't even noticed I have been enjoying my time there so much. I think looking at that its clear capital does fluctuate and each of those additions have been great for the money available. Look at the price tag for Scooby and there is no doubt its world class. Our parks have been very clever with what they have to spend there is no denying that and they have always delivered fun attractions; so really don't understand anyone who complains about what we're getting especially when the global economy is struggling! I look at what they're spending this year differently. Rather than blowing it all on one ride in one year, my gut feeling is we will see it spent over a couple of years and end up with many great and fun attractions. I say this is my gut feeling because we know LW is getting new trains and life put back in it, GL being built and with the closure of LT and Batman we are sure to see some brilliant new replacement over the next couple of years; or maybe sooner! So instead of one big spend, they are going to smart and spread around overtime; so again why would complain about this? If I'm going to complain about anything at MW it would be F&B and the fact some of their shops and games close early, which I'm not a big fan of. But not having been to the park for sometime I can't even comment on that because it could have easily changed since then.

Going on what they have done so far I don't really count on them using the money too well. They have shut down three rides across 2 parks and no action (physical) has been taken to replace them. If they wanted to replace them they would of just left them open until they were ready to start construction. Its been a year since LT closed and 1.5 years since BT yet no action has been seen. They could of built a top notch attraction in this time. I honestly believe that they have gone all Disney like and just don't want to spend the money unless they need too. Surely after this time of no major attractions they would have enough to make a world class dark ride (being the most expensive type of ride). Considering the low prices on which our parks can do things they should be able to do it but they still don't push the boundaries. One thing most of you don't notice is that most people don't know what they want. It something I have picked up is that no matter what the person thinks they want, something else will come that they will like better. An example if Movieworld announced a Universal type dark ride I am 99% sure that they will like it better then a roller coaster. So you can't say the market wants roller coasters they may want something else they may just not know it. Also it makes it worse since almost 100% of the market hasn't seen any other theme parks and don't know what can be done.

Themeparkreview also have Green Lantern train goodness on their website. Thought i'd just link the pics here; saves people from going through the whole IAAPA 2011 thread: thumb_312513_10150414788093566_194340658565_8514921_29747980_n.jpg thumb_312719_10150414991113566_194340658565_8515816_977898136_n.jpg thumb_391965_10150415000828566_194340658565_8515828_1403639901_n.jpg thumb_300709_10150415016878566_194340658565_8515859_1129122877_n.jpg So now we have on-board audio, a light-up Green Lantern symbol (on the trains) AND word of a $2 million euro ($2.65 million aus dollar) themeing budget. :D That money should give us some decent themeing surely?

Edited by Luke

TPR has http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPYyskOEuvQ, including an interview about Green Lantern and it's car in the first minute. Some information: - The car on show will be sent down to MW to join the 6 that are already on site, bringing the total number of cars to 7. - Opening mid December - S&S integrated onboard audio - Pulsating logo presumably capable of different effects.

Did Movieworld hold a media morning today for Green Lantern? In the 'recent status updates' feed, HarrisonKohn said "Off to Movie World Tomorrow for a Media Morning". Just wondering if Parkz was down there, any new news or pictures?

I believe there was a media call. From the Gold Coast Bulletin today:

Green Lantern roller-coaster a thriller AFTER months of putting the pieces together the Gold Coast's newest roller-coaster - featuring a 120 degree drop - is just weeks away from opening. The drop makes the multi-million dollar Green Lantern roller-coaster at Movie World the steepest in the Southern Hemisphere and is sure to thrill. "You are looking at a 120 degree drop, inverted spins, going 60 kilometres an hour and you have 488 metres of electric green track,'' said Movie World spokeswoman Renee Soutar . She said construction company Astute Projects was putting the finishing touches on the ride which would be ready just before Christmas. "Everyone loves a roller-coaster and this is a cool coaster,'' she said. Warner Bros. Movie World General Manager Bob White said the Green Lantern was like no other coaster experience at the theme park. "This exciting new ride will reach speeds of up to 66kmh and pull 3.5Gs on hairpin bends and a crazy inverted spin,'' he said . Astute Projects Director Paul Chapple said they were just days away from sending the first test cart around the tracks. Mr Chapple said it had taken about five to seven weeks to assemble the coaster, which he likened to a Meccano set.

"Everyone loves a roller-coaster and this is a cool coaster,'' she said. They need to look at a larger group for their opinion polls then...

Haters gonna hate. Everyone loves a behind the scenes effect tour, and this as a cool behind the scenes tour....Better? Even if 70% of the audience loves a coaster, then it's still worthwhile.

Funny, when there were details emerging of just how cool this ride was going to be no one had anything to say. On board audio? That's awesome, and something extra Movie World have done to make the ride better that no one has made comment on. Pulsing LEDs on the frot of each car, extra capacity, lapbars, and the second steepest drop in the world gets no response on here but as soon as you see a spot to post a negative comment, in it goes. Such a disappointing attitude from people who claim to like parks.

The pulsing LEDs on the front are pretty pointless unless they running this in the dark. That was my thought the second I saw them. Why did I not post it. Cos this is the response most times I express my opinions. Again, as always, I have to explain myself. Never said I hate the parkz. I like if not love them. Never been a fan of coasters. There is a difference. 70% is not everyone is it? Wasn't going to say it but everyone here dislikes my opinions anyways so might as well... I have always wished they updated the Movie Magic Sound Stage Tour instead of ripping it out to add another coaster. I hated when they took out a nice flat family ride (Gremlins) and added another coaster. I don't think that the location chosen for this new coaster is the best idea. I hate that Seaworld covered up the small bit of water that actually warranted the bridge being there to put in a coaster. I hate that Dreamworld moved the Model T Fords to the back of the park to put in a coaster. I hate that Wet n Wild, a park that is about waterslides and attractions put in a coaster. These are my opinions and are just as valid as anyone elses here. Don't like it? Stick it.

And to be fair, cars with onboard audio and LEDs and like are a bit of a taste of Disney/Universal anyway. It's not as if either of these things will feature in the marketing campaign, so they clearly are about improving the ride experience for guests. Note too, from the video, it was actually MW that approached S&S for things such as the new train design, not just taking an off the shelf thing.

The pulsing LEDs on the front are pretty pointless unless they running this in the dark

When guests board in the station, they'll be more noticeable, because it will presumably be undercover/indoors at that point, so reduced light levels. Also worth noting that on Rip Ride Rockit you could see the LEDs on the train in the daylight. Edited by Gazza