Green Lantern Coaster

joz

Awessome photo of the giant logo!! It is nice to see those extra little bits of detail being added before the official opening. I must admit, I'm a little disappoint at the revised measurement of the ride at 120 degrees. Unless there is some sort of new announcement trying to get yet more publicity, I think that it was a big PR mistake to claim to be the world's steepest when it isn't. Realistically though I'm not going to notice 2 degrees difference when I'm on it, so I don't really care.

^I don’t recall ever seeing an amateur Jet Rescue POV . And I think only 2 to 3 of Superman ever made it onto Youtube, and they were all crappy because whoever did them obviously knew about the risk so was half trying to hide it the whole time. For Jet Rescue There’s TPRs, and there was one done by the GC Bulletin when the ride first opened that was on their website temporarily. No one is gonna get away with it on GL. Its the same situation as Jet Rescue, the station is too exposed for people to get away with it. And besides, no one could have done it yet, since the ride has been open an hour or so a day max for around 5 days, so I think everyone is personally focused on simply managing to get on the ride in the first place.

Edited by Gazza

No one is gonna get away with it on GL. Its the same situation as Jet Rescue, the station is too exposed for people to get away with it.

http://chinagrabber.com/cheap-4gb-spy-camera-tie-w-wireless-remote-records-audio-and-video---spy-tie-r93.aspx Wouldn't even break the rules using that. Video wouldn't be the greatest though

It might not have the more spectacular theming and entry station like Superman Escape, but i think for being an outside ride the theming is really good. Nice to see a long interesting queue rather then just a heap of walk backs. And with the icing on the cake of the Green Lantern logo on the coaster that lights up i think this smokes Buzzsaw. I think Buzzsaw is missing some key elements that Green Lantern appears to have done much better. (I say appear as i missed my chance to go on it and have not experienced it first hand yet, so judging my pictures only... work ughhh!) - Buzzsaw whilst being very prominent at the front of the park and adding to the Dreamworld skyline and having a giant saw blade at the bottom of the ride doesnt go that one step further to create something iconic. I mean Dreamworld tower is more interesting at night thanks to the recently added LEDs. - GL is also at the front of the park but i think it is much more of an icon for Movieworld with the iconic light up logo on the top of the attraction as well as the light up icons on the cars. I think Movieworld has really shown they are on the cutting edge with the added features of GL. - Buzzsaw noticeably has been placed at the front of the park taking up some space left by the helicopter pad and still feels very 'added on'. - GL appears to have more successfully integrated the ride into the existing Batman plaza, taking advantage of the need to leave the park, creating an interesting walkway. It would be great to see them also create some interesting lighting effects through the walkway at night. Could they have goe as far as some green lighting for that whole GL area inclduing the coaster? Would look epic. - Buzzsaw had a VERY vague initial storyline that was ditched once the ride opened.... why? - GL appears to have nicely intergrated a stroyline into the ride storybook style.

^Personally, I wouldn't doubt for a second the theming on this cost much more than Buzzsaw. For starters, a giant custom electronic LED sign is going to cost way more than that spinning sawblade, which is a simple motor and sheet metal. Probably a bit more would have gone into enabling works too...Think of the cost of doing the pillared fencing around the entire ride footprint to match the existing park boundary walls, versus chainlink: http://www.parkz.com...61-Buzzsaw.html As for the rest...Well, you be the judge of what would cost more...Rusty stuff in cages and paint can light fittings, or having to sculpt various large 3D figures. Not saying Buzzsaw is badly themed or anything...It looks good, but often these old time themes can be a get out of jail free card, because they are cheap and easy to do. Builders, painters and so forth are free to do a rough job because it suits, and getting old junk is easy. But I think the nature of a theme like Green Lantern pushes the cost up even at the basic level. Its spacey etc, so everything gotta be sleek and sharp and so forth.

Edited by Gazza

Definitely agree there it would have cost more... more so just making the comparison now that the coaster is almost complete... Taking into account everyones doubting and blowing the gun on Buzzsaw has better themeing argument. I think people need to reserve a bit more time before making judgement. Rome want built in a day... I love that the classic Movieworld attention to detail is still present here. Like the odd shape they cut out of the wall as you leave the park... which matches the odd shape of the storyboards.

I think buzzsaws theming is simple, but quite effective. Though the storyline makes no sense, I think the station is quite well done. Though GL's queue is good, the station is still open air and slightly disappointing. And I think they both look quite intimidating at the front of the park. Green lantern is actually a lot larger than I expected.

An open air station is slightly disappointing? Have you seen what they've done to the station house? how sleek and modern and crisp it is? What did you want them to do - build a soundstage over the top of JUST the stationhouse? It's opinion, and you're entitled to it. Personally, I think Movieworld surprised a whole lot of us in relation to theming and design, I for one am quite impressed (but that may be heightened by my lowered expectations when we saw white roofing and grass).

I don't reckon a full enclosed station was needed (Or desirable from a comfort and practicality standpoint...Throws up factors like changing the class of the building, which then implies more codes to meet), but some perforated steel or screening on the side walls would be cool.

Edited by Gazza

While I admit that the queue line is quite nicely done with the comic-book style panels outlining a simple but effective story, the 3D figures and the added logo welded to the side of the coaster but that's when the theming ends... Still disappointed at the station building and the fact that there isn't anything "Noteworthy" about the theming. Looking at previous attempts: Superman Escape and the entire section before the launch. Scooby-Doo's facade, entire queue line and the ride itself before the lift and after the main section of the ride. Batman's theming and pre-show. The entire of Wild West Falls... Well you get the idea. To better serve the theme and the ride, would have liked a "Space Mountain" sort of thing.

Your opinion is more than valid in regards to what you think of the theming but I will address your noteworthy comment... For my mind, the logo welded to the side is definately noteworthy and is much more than just a cut out green logo which will become apparent when seen in person.